Kraton Changing Diff Fluids

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harleyflyer

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Notorious
I’m still very new to RC Trucks. I have read several threads and watched some videos on taking out the diffs, taking everything apart and then putting in the oil. My question is this, I just received the Kraton EXB and I want to put different fluids in, but do I have to take the diffs completely apart or can I let the diff oil drain out and then put in the oil weight I want? If I need to take each diff apart, I will do that but wanted to check first.

Thanks!

I would advise getting spare diff gaskets before opening the diff, just in case your existing one splits

You can drain the oil without stripping out all of the internal diff gears. I personally would though, just to check it all out and add some green slime/o-ring grease in case that was missed in the factory, and if I was using different weights, but no, it isn't necessary

You can use degreaser/contact cleaner with an old toothbrush if you did want to clean out the internals, but remember to remove both o-rings before you do! When the diff is assembled again and put back in, pack it up with white silicone grease or Lucas red and tacky on the main diff gear, if you didn't keep a lot of the original grease on it

I don’t think the diff fluid will simply drain out the fill hole. You will need to open the diff to get it out. Even then, some of it will come out, but to get it all out, you will need to remove all of the gears and clean them with a solvent to get the old fluid off. Now, you may not care to get all of the fluid out to this level and could just take the main gear off and turn the cup upside down and let gravity get most of it out. This would take at least an hour to drain out, I would guess. Depends on how warm it is where you’re working. Then flip it back over and refill it with the fluid you want to change to.

I would advise getting spare diff gaskets before opening the diff, just in case your existing one splits

You can drain the oil without stripping out all of the internal diff gears. I personally would though, just to check it all out and add some green slime/o-ring grease in case that was missed in the factory, and if I was using different weights, but no, it isn't necessary

You can use degreaser/contact cleaner with an old toothbrush if you did want to clean out the internals, but remember to remove both o-rings before you do! When the diff is assembled again and put back in, pack it up with white silicone grease or Lucas red and tacky on the main diff gear, if you didn't keep a lot of the original grease on it
What is this green slime everyone seems to use, and do you use it on shocks too. I'm picking up some consumables from my lhs next week so I wanna get this slime.

It's what a lot of people use when rebuilding shocks and diffs for the o-rings. You will want to pack up the o-ring area with this or other decent o-ring grease for lube and to prevent oil leaks. It's actually Noleen SF3 repackaged for RC

I used to use it but now I've gone with 2 oz tubes of Buzzy's Slick Honey bike suspension fork grease. It is fairly pricey but I found it will work out more cost effective as two of these will probably be a lifetime's supply for me, and it works just as well!

Nothing wrong with using extra lube. Personally I have never used anything special and never experienced the need. You can simply lube up the o-rings with the diff fluid, never install them dry. Extra careful when you have to push anything threaded through an o-ring (shocks) but you don't have this on the diff.

It definitely won't hurt anything. I do have spare o-rings on hand, that is a must but even with extra lube.

Finally getting around to changing out all of my diff fluid! I am going to start with my front on my #v3 #6s Kraton!
1st, going to soak all of my gears in some NAPTHA Pro Solvent Cleaner for about 5 minutes or so and then reinstall my gears!
For my diffs, will be going with associated diff fluid and fill my front diff with 50 / Middle - 500 / Rear 30.
Before:
1598709426467.png

After:

1598709601146.png

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back