Changing oil in the diffs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alnz

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
What is the best thing to dissolve the old silicon oil to clean out your diffs before adding new oil?
Have tried brake cleaner and alcohol with little success.
Thanks for all advice

I've used electronic parts cleaner in the past and it seemed to work well for me. With the nozzle it sprays well in the crevices but definitely wear some safety glasses as it might spray you in the face.

Do you have to disassemble the entire diff and wipe each individual part?

I put all gears and bearings metal parts in white spirit and stir round with a screwdriver to get all old oil off

You should pull the spider gears out when doing an oil change so you can give the diff a good wipe out.
If you’re feeling keen check the pins that hold the outdrive cups onto the diff. Hard bashing causes these little suckers to snap. Use the search button to see how these can be upgraded.
Drop some oil into the cup, then the spider gears. I like to spray the gears and cross pins down with contact cleaner as it will make it easier to grip the shaft when lining the tombstones up into the grooves of the diff. You can also use long nose pliers to grip the shaft in the middle with the tombstones just above the grooves of the diff. You can now slide the tombstones into position and drop them into place. Be sure not to overfill the diff. Leave room for that sun gear.
You can add extra shims behind these spider gears if need be. Use the search button to find more info.

Last edited:
I use naptha. I've read that mineral spirits works too.

I have a little cheap tupperware bowl with a lid that I reuse over and over for it, but I use fresh naptha each time and empty the bowl/wipe it out each time. I take the diff apart and drop the parts in about 1/2" of naptha, then use a little brush to scrub the parts good while under the naptha. Then I lay the parts out on a paper towel and it wicks away most of the residue. A little compressed/canned air finishes the job.

I try to avoid putting o-rings/gaskets in naptha though. I just wipe those off the best I can with a paper towel.

I've read that one of these is handy for the small bits:
https://www.amazon.com/TraderPlus-Stainless-Infuser-Strainer-Handle/dp/B07KK78FDJ

With some naptha in a jar and the small bits in that, you can just shake it around to wash the parts.

I use naptha. I've read that mineral spirits works too.

I have a little cheap tupperware bowl with a lid that I reuse over and over for it, but I use fresh naptha each time and empty the bowl/wipe it out each time. I take the diff apart and drop the parts in about 1/2" of naptha, then use a little brush to scrub the parts good while under the naptha. Then I lay the parts out on a paper towel and it wicks away most of the residue. A little compressed/canned air finishes the job.

I try to avoid putting o-rings/gaskets in naptha though. I just wipe those off the best I can with a paper towel.

I've read that one of these is handy for the small bits:
https://www.amazon.com/TraderPlus-Stainless-Infuser-Strainer-Handle/dp/B07KK78FDJ

With some naptha in a jar and the small bits in that, you can just shake it around to wash the parts.
The laundry soap naphtha?

WD-40... it's the only thing it's good for! 🤯 I finally found its purpose, it breaks the silicone apart.

I've tried brake cleaner, carb cleaner, gasoline, acetone.... I was close to trying the hardware store naphtha last time until I tried a can of WD I found.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back