Big Rock Changing to 17mm Hex Which Tyres?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matflat

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Typhon 3s
Hell Everyone, we have decided to change the standard Big Rock to the axles and pieces used on the Typhon. Does anyone have suggestions as to tyres for the Big Rock if doing this upgrade? Don't want to change out pinions and everything else as it runs great, just want a little more strength in the axle department. Would also like to keep the ride height the same if possible and not have to do any further meddling to suspension etc. Any advice is appreciated. All the best, Mat.

Last edited:
Can't think of many 5inch tall tires that run a 17mm hex. Lots of buggy options in the 4.5ish inch range. Proline make some good tires, but those are compatible with most any hex size with the right adapter. From what I tell, I can't see how you would be able to do this without a pinion change unless you're okay with shorter/taller gearing. Maybe there are some truggy tires that are just over 5 inch?

Edit: You might look into Team Corally Shogun tires. They are around 5.6 inches. It would be essentially gearing your big rock taller if you ran these tires but didn't regear, but would likely fit the bill.

Last edited:
Can't think of many 5inch tall tires that run a 17mm hex. Lots of buggy options in the 4.5ish inch range. Proline make some good tires, but those are compatible with most any hex size with the right adapter. From what I tell, I can't see how you would be able to do this without a pinion change unless you're okay with shorter/taller gearing. Maybe there are some truggy tires that are just over 5 inch?

Edit: You might look into Team Corally Shogun tires. They are around 5.6 inches. It would be essentially gearing your big rock taller if you ran these tires but didn't regear, but would likely fit the bill.
@Hector_Fisher - much appreciated. In the case what works be a better axle wheel conversion for the Big Rock. Those damn axles are weak and that 2mm bolt drives me crazy 😜

@Hector_Fisher - much appreciated. In the case what works be a better axle wheel conversion for the Big Rock. Those damn axles are weak and that 2mm bolt drives me crazy 😜
I've never had any problems with the stock axles, personally. So i can't say whether changing to typhon axles would be better or worse out of experience. Seems for you like a choice between tire sizes and availability, and stronger axles!

That’s not a bad move. I have broke numerous metal 3S axles. MX28s are my favorite tire. I tried quite a few tires and always came back to those. The tread lasts a long time if you stick to running dirt.

Make sure to check the glue bead and re-glue as needed so they last. First thing I like to do when new is reinforce front and back on all four tires with rubberized CA glue. Below is my favorite. I also check for small, nicks or tears after every run and hit that with the glue as well.
IC-2000 Rubber-Toughened 1oz CA Adhesive Glue https://a.co/d/goVrQL2

23A91558-BC7D-41EA-B093-B958A00A8045.png

That’s not a bad move. I have broke numerous metal 3S axles. MX28s are my favorite tire. I tried quite a few tires and always came back to those. The tread lasts a long time if you stick to running dirt.

Make sure to check the glue bead and re-glue as needed so they last. First thing I like to do when new is reinforce front and back on all four tires with rubberized CA glue. Below is my favorite. I also check for small, nicks or tears after every run and hit that with the glue as well.
IC-2000 Rubber-Toughened 1oz CA Adhesive Glue https://a.co/d/goVrQL2

View attachment 262603
@Velodromed @Hector_Fisher - in your opinion is there any worthwhile axle upgrade to the Big Rock I could consider, or just keep on rolling with the 14mm hex and get some nice tires and keep a stock of axles spare :)

Hell Everyone, we have decided to change the standard Big Rock to the axles and pieces used on the Typhon. Does anyone have suggestions as to tyres for the Big Rock if doing this upgrade? Don't want to change out pinions and everything else as it runs great, just want a little more strength in the axle department. Would also like to keep the ride height the same if possible and not have to do any further meddling to suspension etc. Any advice is appreciated. All the best, Mat.
If you're looking to use 17mm hexes and a 5in tire, I would suggest using the wheels/tires on the Mojave or Mojave EXB if you want a splash of color.

@Velodromed @Hector_Fisher - in your opinion is there any worthwhile axle upgrade to the Big Rock I could consider, or just keep on rolling with the 14mm hex and get some nice tires and keep a stock of axles spare :)
You can get 17 mm adapters on eBay or Amazon for around 20 bucks and run those for a better tire choice. I have a couple of sets of M2C +5 adapters, but they are really pricey at $45. Hot racing +10 adapters are are also pricey ($39) and put additional stress on the axle.

Youll probably only bend/break the stock metal axle if you’re jumping high and after a lot of abuse. Over two years I’ve broken/bent four total and that’s not a lot. Three of them were while running hot racing +10 adapters. The Typhon 17 mm axles are the best. But you would have to buy the 17+ dollar hex, as well as the metal typhon axles.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back