Charged battery overnight storage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saltystevo

Reaction score
How many of you charge up the night before you drive?
Thats a no, no or what?
Id like to be safe, thanks
Also after driving how long is to long to do a storage charge?

How many of you charge up the night before you drive?
Thats a no, no or what?
Id like to be safe, thanks
Also after driving how long is to long to do a storage charge?
That's completely safe to do, I would not leave them charged for more than 2 days though that is when the full charge starts to affect the battery.

I'm not sure if you mean how long can you keep a battery at storage charge or something else.

But if you mean how long can it stay on a storage charge, iirc it's something like 2 years but I probably wrong that might be the shelf life I would have to double check on that.

If you mean how long should it take to go to storage charge, it depends on the size of the battery, the charger and how charged the battery is. If you have a 5000mah 6s battery but your charger will only storage charge at 2 amps it is going to take a while.

Last edited:
That's completely safe to do, I would not leave them charged for more than 2 days though that is when the full charge starts to affect the battery.

I'm not sure if you mean how long can you keep a battery at storage charge or something else.

But if you mean how long can it stay on a storage charge, iirc it's something like 2 years but I probably wrong that might be the shelf life I would have to double check on that.

If you mean how long should it take to go to storage charge, it depends on the size of the battery, the charger and how charged the battery is. If you have a 5000mah 6s battery but your charger will only storage charge at 2 amps it is going to take a while.
Great thanks!
I meant after running the battery in truck i thought people place the battery in storage charge around 3.85 volts i think.
How long or how many days can go by before it effects battery?

Great thanks!
I meant after running the battery in truck i thought people place the battery in storage charge around 3.85 volts i think.
All my chargers are 3.8 but as long as they are between 3.75 and 3.85v you are good.
What I have read says 2 days it's the same as keeping it fully charged.

I'm literally just storage charging my battery right now after running my Granite. I did not want to leave it fully charged where I store it so I decided to drain it a little. I thought storage charge was almost at the same level as a completely drained battery but whenever I completely drain a battery after a run and storage charge it it takes a really long time.

I'm literally just storage charging my battery right now after running my Granite. I did not want to leave it fully charged where I store it so I decided to drain it a little. I thought storage charge was almost at the same level as a completely drained battery but whenever I completely drain a battery after a run and storage charge it it takes a really long time.
Storage charge is about 50% charged, if you only go down to 3.4v.

All my lipos hibernate during the winter months; all I do is maintenance on my RCs.
For the lipos, I set them into storage at 3.85/cell. I will also use a voltage checker every so often to check and ensure no cells are spiking up or down on all lipos.

After a run, and your lipo is exhausted ( I wouldn’t go below 3.7/cell (IMO), try charging at its regular rate till you approach 3.85/cell, then terminate the charge, then apply storage mode. This will save you the really long storage mode waiting time.

I don't charge mine the night before. After a bash, if I used them or didn't use them, I put them at storage voltage, 3.8V. At that voltage, they are safe for a very long time. Leaving them too low may let them dip down below the safe point. Leaving them on a shelf full increases their internal resistance, which depletes the charge cycle quantity and also affects the run time.

I don't know if leaving them for 8-10 hours fully charged is bad or not, but I always just get up early and start charging on bash days. Charging from 3.8V doesn't usually take too long. Most of my packs are ready to go in half an hour using a balance charge, which I always use as well.

I've read every post here and agree that it's best to spend the time manage LiPos to preserve their lives and give us peace of mind.
Therefore I will not even mention how horribly bad I treat my batteries. But, I've not thrown away (brought to appropriate disposal) a single pack from 1s-6s in three years. And I really have tons including quadcopters, planes and trucks packs. Probably 35-45 on hand and most not even used anymore (I quit the quads cause I can't fly)
I did get the $0.11 lipo bag deal coming and have another envelope style battery safe I got free during the last promo they did....so I think I'll try to store my stuff better rather than burn down the house or shop from now on.
This is not advice. Just real world what I do. I charge at 1c or 2c tops....which may help. Mostly 1.5c

I've been meaning to get a new charger. I have two Traxxas EZ Peak chargers I got in a bundle. They do the job but they're probably not the most advanced.
They don't tell you much. But if they work for you, why bother. I started with the ez peak dual. It took 2 cycles to charge my 9000mah 2S packs, which was roughly 2 hours... that kind of sucked. lol!

I will charge mine the day before running but no sooner. As far as storage goes, say I run to LVC and go home, I will check them to see if there at least 3.6 or above and if so leave them like that until next run. If a week to next run then I will storage charge.

Great thanks!
If I’ve ran my car to Lipo cut off, which to me is 3.6v per cell, then you’re already in a storage safe voltage. I have batteries that are a few years old and have always stuck to this rule. I only use storage mode if I haven’t used a fully charged or mostly charged battery.

If I think I'm going to run them in the morning I will charge the night before. If I'm doing an afternoon session then I will charge that morning or around lunchtime and when done everything gets a storage charge

Wow, thanks for all the replies guys! It's been 2 days since my run and I haven't had a chance to put them in storage.

Take care of your lipos and they're take care of you!

I've had more problems with batteries, when I bought a particular brand that is sold in hobby stores in Australia (Tornado) than with the way they are charged. I always try to get my batteries to storage voltage, but rushing to do it when they are still hot isn't a good idea. Just be sensible and they will last, if you treat them with no respect they will eventually play up. Don't forget these are a "fuel cell", so treat them like you would fuel, with care. The most important thing is to not let the technical stuff ruin your fun, don't over think it, I'm sure you're doing the right thing.

Someone remind me...
How cold is to cold for leaving a battery outside in my garage charged and also not charged /storage mode

Someone remind me...
How cold is to cold for leaving a battery outside in my garage charged and also not charged /storage mode
I've heard it's Ok to store lipos in a running refrigerator. So to answer your question I would guess anything above freezing.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back