Charger making a strange noise

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dugs

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

My charger is making a strange noise, like a moving part is stuck and is groaning when charging, the fan spins freely and doesn’t seem to have dirt obstruction or something lodged in it. It lasts for around 5 seconds then goes and intermittently comes back but not always. The performance of the charger doesn’t seem to be dropping and I’ve only had it since
28th April and has been looked after.

any suggestions? I don’t really want to return it as it’s my only charger but I don’t want to put my charging at risk so it may have to go back, or in the bin !!??
It’s a GT Power Charger C6D

I have 2 chargers and after a month or 2 of using them, they both began making a weird noise before the fan kicks in properly. They both sound like the fans are unbalanced as if they're struggling to gain speed but when the RPMs pick up they don't make the noise any more

So it must be a generic charger thing

Last edited:
The fans on most chargers start off at very low rpms and ramp up in increments as the internal temps rise.
Sounds like the fan may not be spinning freely enough to start spinning on its lowest rpm.

Returning to the manufacturer is not a quick solution, personally I'd dissemble the charger for inspection 1st and try and free up the fan with a good air duster clean and maybe even some 'dry' ptfe spray (don't use any oil based sprays). Make sure you let the spray completely dry before switching back on though.

If you don't feel confident in doing that, returning to the manufacturer is your only other real option.

Last edited:
The fans on most chargers start off at very low rpms and ramp up in increments as the internal temps rise.
Sounds like the fan may not be spinning freely enough to start spinning on its lowest rpm.

Returning to the manufacturer is not a quick solution, personally I'd dissemble the charger for inspection 1st and try and free up the fan with a good air duster clean and maybe even some 'dry' ptfe spray (don't use any oil based sprays). Make sure you let the spray completely dry before switching back on though.

If you don't feel confident in doing that, returning to the manufacturer is your only other real option.
Thanks, the fan spins freely but I really don’t think it’s an issue with the fan as it goes and isn’t always on startup, sometimes I can go a full charge without hearing it once. Strange, but I’ll keep with it and if it gets worse I’ll send it off or grab another charger ??
The fans. They half spool you bug them stop and try again. After 2-3 minutes they kick on all the way
One fan making that noise just doesn’t seem right, it’s spinning and I can tell when the increased RPM’s are happening by the slight change in fan speed

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back