Charger overcharges my batteries

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
Hey guys, as I mentioned in the title I have a problem with my charger: it keeps overcharging my batteries.

A couple of years ago I decided to purchase a high level charger with twin output to charge two batteries at the same time, and after considering all the options available on the market I decided to go for a brand new Team Orion Touch Duo V-Max.

It worked great for the first few months, then it started overcharging.

After a full charge cycle, the battery cells (sometimes just one, sometimes all of them) read a voltage higher than 4.20 volts. In the last charge, one of my Kraton's 3s batteries read 4.27, 4.24, 4.35. The weird thing is they are also heavily unbalanced, even if they are ALWAYS balance-charged.

Why the hell does it do that?

All of the safety features are active (overvoltage, overheat, security timer...), and the overvoltage cutoff is still set at 4.20, and yet at the end of a charge it still reads higher.

I always double-check with a voltmeter, and it gives me the same measurements as the charger, so if it can read that it's going over the value of cutoff, why doesn't it stop?

I should add, the batteries I charge are 3s Turnigy Nano-techs (4 of them) and a 2s Turnigy Nano-tech Ultimate for my Losi scte. I used to run a 2s gensacearespammers hardcase in my Losi, but it got ruined to the point of being unable to sustain a simple 5-minute bash session. The charge rates vary between 0.5 and 1C.

Does anyone have any tips on how to deal with this problem? Anybody with the same charger that can give me a tip or tell me if they have any issues as well?

Thanks in advance to anyone that wants to chime in.

I would contact the manufacturer ASAP. I wouldn't charge a single lipo in that situation.

Just to confirm, most chargers have a "fast charge" and "balance charge" setting. You sure your using the balance charge? I'm not sure what fast charge does, but I'd assume it doesn't balance at all and just stops when a total voltage is met or something.

If you are balance charging, do you see the output amps change as it gets close to 4.20 or does it keep the amps up high? I know all my chargers drop the output current considerably around 4V to avoid overcharging.

Can you change the voltage cut off value and offset it accordingly?

Just to confirm, most chargers have a "fast charge" and "balance charge" setting. You sure your using the balance charge? I'm not sure what fast charge does, but I'd assume it doesn't balance at all and just stops when a total voltage is met or something.

If you are balance charging, do you see the output amps change as it gets close to 4.20 or does it keep the amps up high? I know all my chargers drop the output current considerably around 4V to avoid overcharging.

There is no fast charge option, only a "charge" one. There is also a "balance" option, but that only balances the cells without charging the battery. Yes, the amperage tapers off when the battery voltage rises, as is common with all chargers. The problem is, when the cells reach 4.18 - 4.19, the amperage stays around 0.2 A and it takes a long time for the cycle to finish.

Last edited:

It’s a misconception that the charger controls the amperage. The battery will draw what it needs. The charger is only capable of setting a max output. Near the end of a battery charge, the battery needs less amperage and draws accordingly. This goes for all battery types.

Can you change the voltage cut off value and offset it accordingly?
Technically I could, but everytime i charge the batteries, the end voltage is always different: one time it can be 4.27 - 4.24 - 4.22, and the next time it is 4.30 - 4.27 - 4.25. It's always random

There is no fast charge option, only a "charge" one. There is also a "balance" option, but that only balances the cells without charging the battery. Yes, the amperage tapers off when the battery voltage rises, as is common with all chargers. The problem is,

There is no fast charge option, only a "charge" one. There is also a "balance" option, but that only balances the cells without charging the battery. Yes, the amperage tapers off when the battery voltage rises, as is common with all chargers. The problem is, when the cells reach 4.18 - 4.19, the amperage stays around 0.2 A and it takes a long time for the cycle to finish.
That sounds strange. There should be a balance charge cycle. And if it takes more than 15 minutes to balance a lipo it’s probablu defective now and should be discarded.

Sounds like its maybe time for a charger upgrade if it cant balance and charge at the same time regardless. That would really irritate me..

+1 Contact Manufacturer, it's unacceptable and dangerous. They will know this and possibly make things right.

Lipos actually have a 4.22V/cell limit to be precise. But that aside,
is it possible that a firmware update is possible for your charger? Also is there a self calibration mode on your charger?
The MFR should advise on that.
Also, you could just trim down the cell voltage peak setting where you can offset the final actual peak value. Always use the "Balance Charge" setting if that is a selectable setting as opposed to a "Charge" or "Fast Charge" setting. That's the rule.(y)
There is no fast charge option, only a "charge" one. There is also a "balance" option, but that only balances the cells without charging the battery. Yes, the amperage tapers off when the battery voltage rises, as is common with all chargers. The problem is,

The first 90% of charge occurs at a fast rate , Then it slowly tapers down as well as the amp input. That is because actual balancing occurs at the last 10% of the cycle and this can take as long as the initial first 90%.
You may have a bad charger. Be careful.(y)

Last edited:
Lipos actually have a 4.22V/cell limit to be precise. But that aside,
is it possible that a firmware update is possible for your charger? Also is there a self calibration mode on your charger?
The MFR should advise on that.
Also, you could just trim down the cell voltage peak setting where you can offset the final actual peak value. Always use the "Balance Charge" setting if that is a selectable setting as opposed to a "Charge" or "Fast Charge" setting. That's the rule.(y)

The first 90% of charge occurs at a fast rate , Then it slowly tapers down as well as the amp input. That is because actual balancing occurs at the last 10% of the cycle and this can take as long as the initial first 90%.
You may have a bad charger. Be careful.(y)
I once tried contacting Team Orion for a firmware update, but never had a reply. I'll try contacting Horizon Hobby, since I believe Team Orion is their property. I wouldn't know about a self calibration mode, and there is no specific "balance charge" option available like in my cheap old iMax B6AC

Sorry for asking but charging on the correct battery chemistry setting?
That charger should definately balance and charge at the same time.

I'd do a factory reset on it and monitor it...

Similar problem with this charger in this thread.
https://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-...on-advantage-touch-duo-charger-problem-2.html
Of course the charger should be set to Lithium Polymer, NOT LION, or HV or Nim! That is fundamental charger basics 101...
Yes, It must Charge, then balance. Automatically! The only way to do it. Unless you want epic fails:ROFLMAO:

Of course the charger should be set to Lithium Polymer, NOT LION, or HV or Nim! That is fundamental charger basics 101...
Yes, It must Charge, then balance. Automatically! The only way to do it. Unless you want epic fails:ROFLMAO:

I didnt intend to insult the OP, on forums you often have no way of knowing what someones experience is.

There is no fast charge option, only a "charge" one. There is also a "balance" option, but that only balances the cells without charging the battery.

Yes, I know Im pointing out the obvious.. but when the OP states the above... I have to correct him. don't shoot the messenger.

I didnt intend to insult the OP, on forums you often have no way of knowing what someones experience is.

Yes, I know Im pointing out the obvious.. but when the OP states the above... I have to correct him. don't shoot the messenger.
I was just emphasizing what you stated. Not directed to you at all. Sorry for that misdirection.:)

I was just emphasizing what you stated. Not directed to you at all. Sorry for that misdirection.:)

Ah, I see. I just wasnt sure if you were laughing at me being Captain obvious or not. No offence taken, no apology required. :)

My bad for not making this clear before: the "charge" option automatically charges and balances the batteries. It is possible to switch the balancing function off in the advanced settings, but it's always been on.
There is also a separate function called "balance" which only balances the cells, without charging the battery.

Hey Buddy, if you haven’t sorted this already you may have your setting on “hv lipo” as they are 4.35volts. Here’s a quote from the Orion description.
For 2016 we have updated the Touch Duo by adding a LiPo HV charge mode. LiPo HV batteries, like our LiPo V-Max batteries, require a charge end voltage of 4.35V/cell (vs 4.2V/cell for regular LiPo)

Hey Buddy, if you haven’t sorted this already you may have your setting on “hv lipo” as they are 4.35volts. Here’s a quote from the Orion description.
For 2016 we have updated the Touch Duo by adding a LiPo HV charge mode. LiPo HV batteries, like our LiPo V-Max batteries, require a charge end voltage of 4.35V/cell (vs 4.2V/cell for regular LiPo)
Thanks, but the LiHV setting is completely different from the LiPo one: when you select the battery chemistry, LiPo and LiPo HV are different buttons you can press

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back