Charger Power Supplies

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeepnut

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
Does anyone have a power supply such as the RL Power type at this link?

https://www.rlpower.net/collections/power-supplies/products/85-amp-power-supply

I see that they have multiple power connections. Is it possible to run multiple chargers off of one power supply as long as you don’t exceed the max rating? I’m thinking this is a good way to start and then have the ability to add more chargers in the future if I need more capacity.

Last edited:
Does anyone have a power supply such as the RL Power type are this link?

https://www.rlpower.net/collections/power-supplies/products/85-amp-power-supply

I see that they have multiple power connections. Is it possible to run multiple chargers off of one power supply as long as you don’t exceed the max rating? I’m thinking this is a good way to start and then have the ability to add more chargers in the future if I need more capacity.
absolutely. As long as they can all handle the same input voltage just don't exceed the output on the power supply and you can run as many as you want to.

do you only have dc chargers? i mean you are after all plugging the power supply in, so why not plug in the chargers?

My charger is DC only. And an AC DC charger can't put out the same amount of power that a DC charger can. I tend to parallel charge my batteries so I need at least 200-300 Watts worth of power to parallel charge them efficiently. If I charge two 6s batteries at 2C I actually need a little over 500 watts of power

I was commenting on @olds97_lss post.
An ac/dc charger that is 100 watt on ac and 200 watts on dc will only put out around 100watts or less on 12v dc. They are designed to run on 24v dc for the full 200watts

An ac/dc charger that is 100 watt on ac and 200 watts on dc will only put out around 100watts or less on 12v dc. They are designed to run on 24v dc for the full 200watts
You can't say that, fully depends on the amperage the charger can supply.

Watts would be the limiting factor here.
2s on 100watts is roughly 15 amps
6s on 100watts is roughly 5 amps
Amps is just a flow rate watts are the actual power output. Unless I misread your statement or you misread mine.
Oh I think I get what you were trying to say the amperage the power supply can produce then yes that is correct. I would hope someone wouldn't be trying to use like a computer power supply to power one of these.

Last edited:
Amps is just a flow rate watts are the actual power output. Unless I misread your statement or you misread mine.
Oh I think I get what you were trying to say the amperage the power supply can produce then yes that is correct. I would hope someone wouldn't be trying to use like a computer power supply to power one of these.
Don't underestimate computer PSUs. Especially high end units. The one I've got in my computer at home can output over 70 amps on the 12v rail, and a lot of the cheap power supplies for our chargers are built from server PSUs.

Works great over here! (HP 750w 12v psu)
Charges 4x 6s 5000mAh (500 watt) without any problems.

Yes a 24v psu would let the chargers max out but i don't need it.

20200405_081512.jpg

Uh what no. Most ac/dc chargers put out more on DC than they do AC those piddly little psus inside of a charger cannot even compare to a dedicated DC psu.

Here is an example of what I am talking about.
https://www.banggood.com/HTRC-C240-...-all-0418&ad_id=431928166734&cur_warehouse=CN
This is the charge capacity of that charger.
150w max on AC but 240w on DC.
Charge power: AC mode 150W (CH1+CH2=150Watt),DC mode 120W*2 =240W

Tell me again that an AC/DC charger runs worse on a 12v dc psu than it does on the wimpy little internal psu.

Wherever you got your information from is wrong.

Last edited:
Most if not all dc power supplies are repurposed pc server power supplies.
https://www.google.com/search?q=ser...0j69i57j0l6.4629j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Don't underestimate computer PSUs. Especially high end units. The one I've got in my computer at home can output over 70 amps on the 12v rail, and a lot of the cheap power supplies for our chargers are built from server PSUs.
Yeah I'm speaking of your basic like Dell low grade burn up in first month type lol
Works great over here! (HP 750w 12v psu)
Charges 4x 6s 5000mAh (500 watt) without any problems.

Yes a 24v psu would let the chargers max out but i don't need it.

View attachment 82418
Nice setup you have there
Uh what no. Most ac/dc chargers put out more on DC than they do AC those piddly little psus inside of a charger cannot even compare to a dedicated DC psu.

Here is an example of what I am talking about.
https://www.banggood.com/HTRC-C240-...-all-0418&ad_id=431928166734&cur_warehouse=CN
This is the charge capacity of that charger.
150w max on AC but 240w on DC.
Charge power: AC mode 150W (CH1+CH2=150Watt),DC mode 120W*2 =240W

Tell me again that an AC/DC charger runs worse on a 12v dc psu than it does on the wimpy little internal psu.

Wherever you got your information from is wrong.
Slick brother you have mistaken what I was saying. You are correct in dc they are much better but at 12v the output most times is the same or less then ac. To get the max output they require near 24 v in most cases
This is what I use 80 amp 1,300 watts
https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/p...rs/pd9180a-80-amp-electronic-power-converter/

Last edited:
Yeah I'm speaking of your basic like Dell low grade burn up in first month type lol

Nice setup you have there

Slick brother you have mistaken what I was saying. You are correct in dc they are much better but at 12v the output most times is the same or less then ac. To get the max output they require near 24 v in most cases
This is what I use 80 amp 1,300 watts
https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/p...rs/pd9180a-80-amp-electronic-power-converter/

I've never once seen an AC/DC charger that puts out more wattage on the internal power supply than it does on 12v DC. Those built in power supplies cannot handle near the current of a dedicated 12v power supply. I don't even think most of them can output @12v.

My lipo charger says 11 - 18V input and 18V is pretty hard to find. I really hope the 12V/30A power supply I got will allow it to reach 200w (2x100W) for charging because chargers where the output voltage can be changed cost at least 3x more (and I don't like the risk of inadvertently moving the potentiometer and outputting 24V instead of 18 either).

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back