Charger question.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregMonahan

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
Ok guys, finally have my first question. I have a Hitech 2x charger capable of 10 amps per station. I have two 5200 mh batteries rated at 2c for charging (6s). When I charge with my charger set for 8 amps ( slightly less than the allowed 10) my charger is only displaying a charge rate of 2.5 or so amps. It’s taking over two hours to charge these batteries, when I was under the assumption that would be shortened up by charging in 2c. What am I doing wrong? Could it be that these are new batteries and need time to break in. Any info would be invaluable. Thanks Greg.

First you should check the manual maybe it has something useful about charging larger batteries.

If everything is working properly my guess would be that the charger can’t handle the amount of power it requires to charge the batteries, therefore the charger limits it’s output to prevent fires.

Thanks for the response. Per the manual, everything is supposed to be well within the specs of this charger. I think a phone call to Hitec tech support is in order. Thanks again. Greg

Which hitech do you have? It's about watts (volt x ampere). So i.e. it might be 10 amps for 3s, that's 5 amps for 6s. And some chargers have less power on AC then on DC.

Ok, i checked the specs:

Total Charge Circuit Power: 100 Watts AC Input / 200 Watts DC Input

So on AC a total of 100 watts, 50 watts per channel.
If you charge a 6s battery with a nominal voltage of 23 volts it will charge it at 2.2 amps.

You are doing nothing wrong, it's just the limit of the charger.

Hey thanks, I am quilty of some ignorance apparently. I read the box, the specs, and almost understood everything. Better luck next time, newbie.......I really appreciate you digging into this for me. Cheers bud. Greg

I'm pretty sure you would be better off charging one pack at a time. That should give you a lower total charge time for both batteries plus you will also get a little more punch since your charging each battery with more amps.

Brian

Hey thanks, I am quilty of some ignorance apparently. I read the box, the specs, and almost understood everything. Better luck next time, newbie.......I really appreciate you digging into this for me. Cheers bud. Greg
Glad i could help! That's what this forum is for. And be easy on yourself, it also took me a while to find out how this all works.

Oh yeah, it’s good to learn. When you start a new hobby and join a forum, you get wrapped up in all the good info, not realizing most of these guys are seasoned and have paid their dues. I need to pull back, have fun , AND FIX IT AS I BREAK IT........WAY COOL.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back