charger takes FOREVER to balance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Spektrum chargers are made by ISDT. You would be surprised how many chargers share the same menu setup. My Hitec, Skyrc and Thunder chargers all have the same menus. The Thunder actually said HOTA charger when you powered it on, they didn't even bother changing the firmware. There are literally only a handful of companies that make the software for these chargers, HOTA and ISDT are the 2 big players in the industry.
Idk man, they sold a or some license/licenses awhile back, maybe HH makes them now!! 🤣
But I agree, only get spektrum if you want all the smart features and are willing to go full send, i.e. lipos, chargers, rx/tx, motors, esc.. ect!! I will say.. my spektrum lipo's out perform my single 6s CNHL 6200 lipo's.. and that's a fact!! 😁

so out of the chargers mentioned it seems the ISDT P20 is the most capable but if im correct it needs a power supply. the best option i can find at the moment for a power supply is the ISDT SP2425 but the only good place i can find it for sale is amazon but its temporarily out of stock. as far as computer power supplies goes, i wouldnt even know where to start or how to hook them up to a charger.
I don't own an ISDT but the Hota D6+ can use an AC outlet or DC power. A 24V PSU will deliver more charging power if you need it, but I like to have options. Just get THIS and call it a day.

so with a DC power supply, what happens when you have a charger that is capable of demanding more power than a power supply can put out? is that dangerous/harmful for the power supply?

I use the Hobbymate D6 Duo, great charger. I was even able to calibrate mine.
my charger takes forever to balance the cells. doesn't matter what battery they all take forever but im sure someone is gonna ask so the 2 batteries im mainly concerned with are a gensacearespammers bashing 8000 mAh 3s and a powerhobby 7400 mAh 4s. im talking over 4 hours, it will get to 4.18/ cell or so and 0-.2 amps and try to balance the cells for 2+ hours. god forbid one cell reaches 4.2 and its guaranteed to take forever. the charger is the (old school) hitec multi charger x4 DC with a 10 amp power supply. im not really interested in opinions about my charger setup since im pretty sure thats just the way it is but what i would like to know is whats a good charger that wont take forever just to balance and will charger my 4s, or even a 6s, battery at more than 5amps. thanks.

I would be concerned over this, this is not normal. First thing I would wonder is if your charger is reading voltage correctly (is the cell really at 4.18v or is it really 4.20v). If the voltage is accurate I would be wondering why certain cells are out of balance, is it the charger or a worn out battery..

Checking internal resistance of the cells can be helpful but most of our chargers (even more expensive ones) have trouble reporting accurate data.

Last edited:
I use these. 1200w for the p20 600w for the d6+. The most basic electrics skills will get them wired up. Use the screw type breakout boards then no soldering at all.
Screenshot_20220831-034518_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220830-160726_Chrome.jpg

so with a DC power supply, what happens when you have a charger that is capable of demanding more power than a power supply can put out? is that dangerous/harmful for the power supply?

The power supply will either go nuts and burn up or go into protection (if it has it) and shut off. Just be sure to size it correctly up front.

Last edited:
@carckton driver
By definition - cells are balanced when they are within 0.05V i.e. you gain absolutely nothing balancing them any further.
Cells are at 99% capacity at 4.15V and squeezing that additional 0.6% gains you maybe 2s in drive time. Consider just terminating the charge manually, cost you nothing.

All above is true and other chargers are out there.
My guess, your contacts are a little dirty, that's all. If you have the ability to set the charge voltage to 4.15V, you can try that as well.

External DC supply.
Will do nothing for your problem.
As long as it's rated higher than the charger capability, you won't have issues. DC supply should be 80% loaded over longer periods, typically not an issue for Lipo charging.

I'd learn a little more about chargers etc before taking the DC route.

I use the Hobbymate D6 Duo, great charger. I was even able to calibrate mine.

I would be concerned over this, this is not normal. First thing I would wonder is if your charger is reading voltage correctly (is the cell really at 4.18v or is it really 4.20v). If the voltage is accurate I would be wondering why certain cells are out of balance, is it the charger or a worn out battery..

Checking internal resistance of the cells can be helpful but most of our chargers (even more expensive ones) have trouble reporting accurate data.
yes, charger is reading voltage correctly, checked with a cell checker. batteries aint worn out, they are very new and as the internal resistance showed they are in good shape.
I forgot to add. Dunno why I forgot about this. I had a bad balance board and it was giving the wrong readings. I replaced that and it was fine. Cheap fix and worth checking out.
not using a balance board.
@carckton driver
By definition - cells are balanced when they are within 0.05V i.e. you gain absolutely nothing balancing them any further.
Cells are at 99% capacity at 4.15V and squeezing that additional 0.6% gains you maybe 2s in drive time. Consider just terminating the charge manually, cost you nothing.
good to know, thanks
External DC supply.
Will do nothing for your problem.
not talking about a power supply for my charger. that was in reference the the charger i mentioned.
DC supply should be 80% loaded over longer periods , typically not an issue for Lipo charging.
i have no idea what that means :ROFLMAO:
do you mean you should only be using 80% of your power supplies rated capacity?

Last edited:
if theres any reason not to buy a hota s6 please don't tell me cause when im done typing this im buying one
It's one of the best ac chargers you can get and it supports DC whenever you feel like jumping in. You can't go wrong with it. I liked the previous version so much that I bought two 😂

i haven't ordered it yet, the only place i can find it for sale that actually has them thats not in china is rotor riot. they are in orlando florida so i really hope their shipping times haven't been affected by the hurricane.
Got 2 of them as well.

Typically they have the best price here:
https://www.smc-racing.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=113&product_id=447
where are they located? theres not even any contact info on thier website, how/why would you order from someone you cant even get in contact with? actually it seems hota doesn't even have a website. idk about all this

where are they located? theres not even any contact info on thier website, how/why would you order from someone you cant even get in contact with? actually it seems hota doesn't even have a website. idk about all this
Cause it’s SMC. They are well known in the industry. Buy with confidence.
FF8297C1-F17B-4AFD-9607-FC86143078A2.png

SMC is legit and HOTA actually makes a large chunk of the chargers that are on the market, other companies just rebrand them.

We wouldn't send you down the wrong path

Id look at upgrading to something nice depending on your wallet, I like spektrum stuff so u could jump on the lonely wagon!! 🤣
:mad: I'm a fan boy too! Get it together!

fun fact
I worked with T.V.'s some years back and a few big brand name T.V.'s at the time all shared internals from the same manufacturer.
3 companies even had identical screens!🤯

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back