Kraton Chargers what should I buy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee Boyce

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
I am just about to buy a charger for my 2x 6s lipo's but I have no clue what to buy. I want to be able to charge both batteries at the same time and at a good speed. What should I get

I have the Hi-tech X2 700 that @slick2500 linked and love it. I power it with https://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?route=product/product&path=141&product_id=459. The power supply can't "fully" power the charger but it can charge two 6s packs at 19 amps, which is plenty for me.

I have also wanted to try SMC chargers as they look to be a great value but haven't had the need for another charger since they added them to their lineup. They do have a dual port AC/DC charger that can charge two 6s batteries 6 amps for $110 or at 8 amps for $155 or 24 amps for $195.

I highly recommend SkyRC D100 V2, i think in the USA there's an Hitec branded version.

It's 100W power, two lines, and most importantly it has a super convenient app that let you monitors and control it via Smartphone, super convenient as you can remotely check charging status.

I highly recommend SkyRC D100 V2, i think in the USA there's an Hitec branded version.

It's 100W power, two lines, and most importantly it has a super convenient app that let you monitors and control it via Smartphone, super convenient as you can remotely check charging status.

Yea I've seen lot of good things about this one and a very good price to be honest. Especially what it can do nice one mate

Yea I've seen lot of good things about this one and a very good price to be honest. Especially what it can do nice one mate

It also has programs you can save, so it's basically 1- connect battery, 2-open app and choose program (storage 4S/balance 6S/etc.), 3- sit down and relax.

I have the 2 channel SkyRC D200 with integrated soldering station. It's not the wisest choice for dual charging +5Ah 6S batteiries though.

I have the older version of the HobbyKing Reaktor 2 x 300W 20A charger - the new version supports HV lipos. It is DC only, so you will need a good DC power supply. (Converted server PS are the best value - here is one from SMC, but you can get them on ebay for about $60)

I really like this charger. 300w per channel will let you charge you charge a 6s pack at about 13a - so you can charge you packs in about half an hour, two at a time.

There is also a 4-channel version if you really want to go crazy... :)

My review -
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/sho...urnigy-Reaktor-2x300w-20a-Unboxing-and-Review

For 6s batteries, getting a charger that can run big watts is important. Most people want to charge at 1c or better. When we do the math -

For a 5000mah 6s, 22.2v pack -
1c= 5a
5 * 22.2 = 111w needed.

For the folks that run that big SMC 9200 6s pack, 1C is 9.2A, 205 watts! To look at this another way, charging this 9200mah 6s pack on a common 50w charger will take 4 hours.

If you know that you will be running 6s (like the OP) you really want to make sure the charger can push the wattage.

Edit - also, when shopping multi-channel charger, make sure the wattage listed is PER CHANNEL. I have seen some of 4 channel chargers that are listed as "200 Watts" - but that is total across all 4 channels - each channel can only run 50W. Also, there seems to be a bunch of 2 channel chargers that are 100W "power sharing" chargers - they can do one channel up to 100w, but the other channel only gets the left-over power, not the full 100w... i.e. channel 1 needs 75w, then channel 2 can only use 25w.

Last - don't buy a charger planning on running it at max wattage all the time - you will eventually overheat it and kill it. Give your self a safety buffer. If you need 100w, buy a 120w charger. If you need 200w, buy 300w.​

For 6s batteries, getting a charger that can run big watts is important. Most people want to charge at 1c or better. When we do the math -

For a 5000mah 6s, 22.2v pack -
1c= 5a
5 * 22.2 = 111w needed.

For the folks that run that big SMC 9200 6s pack, 1C is 9.2A, 205 watts! To look at this another way, charging this 9200mah 6s pack on a common 50w charger will take 4 hours.

If you know that you will be running 6s (like the OP) you really want to make sure the charger can push the wattage.

Edit - also, when shopping multi-channel charger, make sure the wattage listed is PER CHANNEL. I have seen some of 4 channel chargers that are listed as "200 Watts" - but that is total across all 4 channels - each channel can only run 50W. Also, there seems to be a bunch of 2 channel chargers that are 100W "power sharing" chargers - they can do one channel up to 100w, but the other channel only gets the left-over power, not the full 100w... i.e. channel 1 needs 75w, then channel 2 can only use 25w.

Last - don't buy a charger planning on running it at max wattage all the time - you will eventually overheat it and kill it. Give your self a safety buffer. If you need 100w, buy a 120w charger. If you need 200w, buy 300w.​

General rule of thumb is to never exceed 80% of your chargers capacity.

I'll have to find the link but I found this charger that has little things that you attach to your battery. Then you put settings in the charger and sync it to that thing. When you want to charge that battery you just tap it to the charger and it automatically goes to the settings for that battery.

Kind of spendy, but from what I have heard they make top notch stuff.
http://www.revolectrix.com/chargers.htm

And I want to expand on the reasoning behind why you should not exceed 80% of your chargers capacity. It is because you can lose about 20% of your power to heat do to inefficiency, hence the reason the larger units have cooling fans.

Last edited:
I am looking at upgrading since I do have a single 6s brick now ;)

I have heard good things about the EV-PEAK CQ3 LiPo Battery Balance Charger,100Wx4 10A Four Channel

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D4PON50/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_AesAAb9J9AVNR
Yeah it's always nice to upgrade. At 100 watts you're going to be able to charge 6s batteries around 4 amps maximum (100 watts ÷ 25.2 volts = 3.968 amps). I started with a 50 watts x 4 hitec and then went to 4s, 6s and 8s cars and realized I needed more so I got the Hitec X2 700 and now am very happy. I normally go above and beyond and figured 4 batteries was above and beyond, which it wasn't. That was before I knew about the hobby more in depth haha.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back