Kraton Chargers what should I buy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This charger?
http://www.grimsbymodelcentre.co.uk/Public/Content/Product.aspx?ProductID=954

If you run 4s or 2x3s batteries, that one will work. however, you said you planned on getting 2 6s packs. So what I was saying above, for 6s, you will be both a) having long charge times, and b) be running your charger a max wattage all the time. If you can't step up to a 200w/channel or better charger, then get it, it will work. I would advise running the math and keeping the charger around 80w-90w per battery, which is about 3.5a-4a for a 6s lipo.

A quick look at Banggood shows me this one, 2 channels, 200w per channel. This would give you the power for 1c charging of 6s bricks. £115, free shipping.
https://www.banggood.com/EV-PEAK-CD...-1167774.html?rmmds=category&cur_warehouse=CN

I see what you are saying about the new guy with one car maybe not thinking he needs a 2 or 4 channel, huge wattage charger. But a few points -
One - yes he is not "Average" now, he is New. And as a New Guy, I think it is fair to say that he will start to move towards "Average" and start collecting batteries, and probably another car or three...

And second - as you gain more models, what you needed as a new guy with one car changes - let me use myself, and my bad decisions as an example again-

So I restarted this hobby a few years ago, after a 15 year break. I bought an ECX truck that had a 2a "Fast Charger" in the box, which quickly dies. At this point, I knew I wanted to get into 1/8 scale, but I didn't understand all the lipo issues, and C-rating charging, and wattage and stuff. I spent $100 on what I thought was a "Good" charger - a 2 channel, 50w per channel Dynamite. It was fine as long as I only had Nimh and 2s lipos. Once I got into 1/8, though and 4s packs, the charger was not 'enough'. Charge time started to stretch out, and the charger started throwing error codes and doing thermal shutdowns, and eventually dies. Even while it was running, going to bash with my 1/8 rigs needed to be planned out the night before...

So for my next charger, I read up on wattage, Charge C-ratings, and then tried to "over buy" - cuz, I won't really NEED 300w per channel, right? Turns out I pretty much love it. My bottleneck right now is I need a bigger power supply - I am using an old converted 500w PC/ATX power supply, and I am run it at max (not good). But my current charger was just $125 - $25 more than my first charge, but much more useable - it allows me to have a short notice bash. It lets me spend the day at the track and not worry about "we can only run 2 or three packs each, then we gotta go home"

Third - we KNOW the OP wants to run 6s - and we KNOW 6s needs more than 100w to do a 1c charge - so why tell him 100w is fine, when we know, long term it won't be?

Last - why call us out as attacking you when you were the one that accused all of us of "exaggerating" by pointing out that big batteries need big watts?

Jerry-Rigged pretty much hit every point with this one.

As another example I dove into this hobby blind having no idea anything about anything, and also started with an Ecx a 1/18 scale though, it came with a slow wall trickle charger 9+ hours to charge a battery. After a quick browse through some reviews on Amazon I ended up buying a Tenergy nimh/nicd 2a charger, the biggest battery I had at the time was a 1200mah 6 cell nihm. Then I decided to buy another rc a 1/10 scale Ecx Ruckus just like Jerry had and the charger that came with that was again okay and did its job. But when I got into lipo the charger is where I made my mistake, I bought a knock off Thunder AC6 charger, this was okay when I only had to charge one 4200mah battery at a time. But once I bought the Summit and the 2 6200mah 2s lipos and having to wait almost 3 hours before the batteries charged, I knew it was time for a new charger. So I did some research and everything I found, everyone that I asked said a charger is one of those things in rc that you only ever want to have to buy once, just like tools, so buy a charger that will exceed your current needs, as your needs in the future will change and no sense having to buy a charger twice.

For 6S: dual channel, min. 150W/ch. Go for the best you can afford, preferably a quality brand. Years of troublefree action. (hopefully)

End of story.

I picked up a GT Power pro quad charger and so far it has been faultless. Quad charging is overkill for me, at the moment but it was the one st my LHS that had the best Watts per channel at 100w.

General rule of thumb is to never exceed 80% of your chargers capacity.

I'll have to find the link but I found this charger that has little things that you attach to your battery. Then you put settings in the charger and sync it to that thing. When you want to charge that battery you just tap it to the charger and it automatically goes to the settings for that battery.
@slick2500 Were these the things that you were talking about? I saw these awhile ago and wondered how well they worked but also saw that you need an FMA charger for them.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back