Charging a LiPo w/o balance?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Nero
  4. Outcast 6s
The balance port came off the wires on my hrb 4S 5000mah LiPo and I was wondering how big of a deal it is? My charger has a mode that’s just LiPo charging instead of LiPo balance charge but is it going to ruin the battery? And if so is there a way to put it back on without soldering?
Thanks in advance

Either put a new connector on it or dispose of the pack. You cannot safely charge that pack without a balance connector.
Is there any use for the non balance charge mode on a charger? I think mine has a fast charge mode, but I've never used it.

I'm always surprised how long my charger spends even after all of the cells are within 0.002V of each other, yet it keeps doing.... something...

First, use some electrical tape and isolate the bare pins though.
If you know how to solder, order some spare connectors with wires, cut and solder. Learn how do it right i.e. 1 wire at a time and the order matters or if the pins are still ok order a new housing and re-insert. Do NOT short them together or accidentally cross wires.
No do not charge without balancing, a couple times is ok but there is a reason chargers balance the cells.

Fix the balance circuit or toss the pack. No in betweens.(y) That was an easy one.:D
Is there any use for the non balance charge mode on a charger? I think mine has a fast charge mode, but I've never used it.

I'm always surprised how long my charger spends even after all of the cells are within 0.002V of each other, yet it keeps doing.... something...
End of charge cycle always goes to balance by default until you disconnect. A lipo charges fast for the first 80% then slows down real fast and the balance of charge remaining takes very long as it balances the cells as they approach 4.2v each.

Non-Balance Charge mode is for 1S packs. Because you cant balance one single lipo cell.;) If you can, let me know how! That would be a neat trick.(y) Multiple Cells always gets balanced. Every single charge cycle. Or you risk you and your family and your home. (and pets)
Fast charge is without balance. Don't do it.

Last edited:
I don't even know why have the none balance mode for multi cell batteries.
Not sure whats worst russian roulette or charging without balance port.

don't do it. All the hassle, questions, on how to fix the battery. Discard the battery, trade it to someone who knows how to fix it, buy new battery, and enjoy a good night sleep, the fire department will thank you.

@crankestein, I think it is a holdover from very early lipo charging days.
There were no balance leads on the multicell packs back then. And Lipos didn't last long back then. Had very limited cycles before they were bricked. We get many cycles on our lipos today because Balancing is the norm. Yet still dangerous if abused.

Last edited:
Well he mentioned the wires touched each other, and when that happens they spark (which he said) and that itself bricks the pack. The internal resistance is already screwed. Fixing it has no use now as he already shorted it.

So, I just wanted to see if this is typical in others experience. Storage charging my 5000mah lipos from 3.5ish V takes on average about 45 min. The last 40 of that seems to hover so close to the desired target, it seems unnecessary. Does anyone know what the charger is accomplishing? Why not just stop when the cells are all within 0.1v of 8.2?

So, I just wanted to see if this is typical in others experience. Storage charging my 5000mah lipos from 3.5ish V takes on average about 45 min. The last 40 of that seems to hover so close to the desired target, it seems unnecessary. Does anyone know what the charger is accomplishing? Why not just stop when the cells are all within 0.1v of 8.2?

It’s balancing each cell. With a charge.

Your lipo is already damaged from discharging to 3.5 and internal resistance of each cell is now different.
Charger is trying to balance the voltages but due to mismatch aka balancing it now takes a lot longer, to the point that it will run into timeout. What you see is normal for your case. A healthy pack should be done in 20 min at the right rate. No need to throw it away but you pay in increased charge time and less capacity. If you cut the time short you will increase the damage as capacity between cells is different and one cell will be stressed.
Stay above 3.6 to avoid this issue.

Internal resistances of the cells are 3ohms, 4ohms, 3ohms. They really haven't had too many cycles on them, but I'm waiting for some voltage alarms because the LVC on my ESC seems to be unpredictable.

I would blame it on cheap batteries (I know, you get what you pay for), but i have a gensacearespammers 4S battery that does the same, also with low internal resistances. I figured it was my charger...

Attachments

• 15821181969049074999286768440583.jpg
    15821181969049074999286768440583.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Your lipo is already damaged from discharging to 3.5 and internal resistance of each cell is now different.
Charger is trying to balance the voltages but due to mismatch aka balancing it now takes a lot longer, to the point that it will run into timeout. What you see is normal for your case. A healthy pack should be done in 20 min at the right rate. No need to throw it away but you pay in increased charge time and less capacity. If you cut the time short you will increase the damage as capacity between cells is different and one cell will be stressed.
Stay above 3.6 to avoid this issue.
I've never heard of discharging to 3.5v damaging batteries.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back