Charging lipo whilst out and about...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whatever you decide to do, do not charge them unattended unless you have a battery safe box to do it in. A guy I know here had left two batteries to charge in his basement. I'm talking he was only one floor away. One battery started to smoke and caught fire. He was using a very good charger and had never had issues before. Fortunately, the fire department arrived in time to contain the fire to the basement, but the rest of the house suffered a lot of damage from smoke. Never ever ever charge lipo batteries in the open when unattended, especially if you are in a place like a hotel or under the hood of a car.
Uhh.... do you know where I can get a safe box? Will a safe work? I have a mini one. Solid steel.
I store them in a metal box though. It won't work for charging though. :confused:

To reiterate what others mentioned, the car should be running whenever your charging packs. I found out the hard way on that one. Charged up pairs of 3S 5000mah packs 4 or 5 times while bashing, got in my car to leave and all it would do was click. Got a jump, which for some reason freaked out my car and ruined a HVAC servo which then broke a blend door that cost me $900 to replace (they had to remove the dash). Good times...

I have a relatively cheap HTRC-H150 ACDC Duo wired up in the trunk of my car all the time. Added a power switch to it because it doesn't have one. My battery for the car is in the trunk, so it worked out well. If/when I get rid of this car for something else, I'll likely spend $150 on having a high current power line run to my trunk (like for an amp) for the convenience.
2019-0420-ChargingInMyTrunk01.jpg

These days though, I just take enough packs with me, but occasionally, I'll still use the charger.
You don't necessarily have to have the car running the entire time. Last 4th of July I used my Hitec X2 400 charger connected directly to my truck battery for 3 days I started the truck and let it run for like 10-15 minutes every couple of hours.
Hypothetical question: If @WoodiE were to change his profile picture to buzzlightyear would it take time for you get used to that?
You know I have been waiting for someone to create an account called Buzz Lightyear for a while now.

You don't necessarily have to have the car running the entire time. Last 4th of July I used my Hitec X2 400 charger connected directly to my truck battery for 3 days I started the truck and let it run for like 10-15 minutes every couple of hours.

You know I have been waiting for someone to create an account called Buzz Lightyear for a while now.
I’m surprised no one has made a RC account.

24B9EBD9-2564-4225-925D-DFEBC02768EB.jpeg

I have a 45Ah battery in my 2nd car; charging my usual set of 2x4Ah 6s packs for my Kraton would probably kill it :D

Thank you for the suggestions guys.

I wouldn't leave it unattended inside my car that's for sure, but I do live in a flat so I do charge and store my lipos indoor which is dangerous I know but don't have any choice. I try to store it inside a lipo bag inside a non-sealed ammo box and when I charge it I'm always around to chuck it out of the window. :LOL:

In my head my plan is to, after reading all the replies, buy a car battery or one of those portable power station and charge it outside my car and probably with a little shade whilst I mess about near it.

Uhh.... do you know where I can get a safe box? Will a safe work? I have a mini one. Solid steel.
I store them in a metal box though. It won't work for charging though. :confused:
There's more than one option, some better than others. The BatSafe box would be the Ferrari of group. There are also lipo bags that have side openings for charging. Not as safe as the BatSafe, but better than nothing at all. As far as the metal box or Ammo cans go, you would need to drill holes for cable pass through and venting. Lots of videos on YouTube showing how it's done and how to insulate the holes to make sure the wires don't get cut. I currently store my lipos in an ammo can and charge/discharge them in a lipo bag like the one I mentioned.

There's more than one option, some better than others. The BatSafe box would be the Ferrari of group. There are also lipo bags that have side openings for charging. Not as safe as the BatSafe, but better than nothing at all. As far as the metal box or Ammo cans go, you would need to drill holes for cable pass through and venting. Lots of videos on YouTube showing how it's done and how to insulate the holes to make sure the wires don't get cut. I currently store my lipos in an ammo can and charge/discharge them in a lipo bag like the one I mentioned.
I picked the Prius. I just cut little tabs in a metal/tin box thingy. I should insulate the holes so the wires don't get cut though. Thanks!

If i am charging unattended (i'll admit, i do this more often than i would like to admit) i pull the car out and put the charger in the middle of the garage floor. I also installed a smoke alarm in the garage.

If i am charging unattended (i'll admit, i do this more often than i would like to admit) i pull the car out and put the charger in the middle of the garage floor. I also installed a smoke alarm in the garage.
I do it in my bedroom on a carpet in the middle of my floor (I am usually in the house... if not I tell a member of the family to check on it)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back