Charging NiMN Batteries (S150 Spektrum Charger)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MZA-4x4

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 3s
  2. Typhon 3s
  3. Typhon TLR
  4. Typhon Mega
Hello Everyone,

I recently got a few Typhon MEGAs for the family. Well, I ended up getting a S150 charger and there isn't a lot of information about charging NiMN batteries. While I do understand that LiPO batteries charge up to a certain voltage before shutting off, I can't find any information about how a charger knows when a NiMH is charged. So, with that said:

How does my charger know when my NiMH is charged?

I'm assuming that charging my 3300mAh battery at 3A (just under 1C) would be best?

Basically I'm just tring to understand how I use a charger (that isn't completely automatic, like the stock trickle ones) to charge a NiMH.

Thanks for any/all info!!

-MZA

It should be automatic if the NiMH has an iC3 connector on it.

I think these 3300mAh batteries are "dumb" even though they have an IC3 connector. There isn't a third cable coming out from the center of the connector like the "smart" ones (seems weird, right).

1644628794502.jpeg

I think these 3300mAh batteries are "dumb" even though they have an IC3 connector. There isn't a third cable coming out from the center of the connector like the "smart" ones (seems weird, right).

View attachment 199514
Yep def dumb, I don't even think they make smart nimh, don't quote me!! Also thats kind of a goofy question, the same way they have always done it, it either checks the voltage or current?

Per the manual, hold down the select button to switch battery types for non-smart batteries:

I understand that, but I'm just wanting to understand how a charger "knows" when a NiMH is fully charged? Also, considering it's saying to do a manual charge, then why doesn't it tell you how to figure out what charge rate you should use?
Yep def dumb, I don't even think they make smart nimh, don't quote me!! Also thats kind of a goofy question, the same way they have always done it, it either checks the voltage or current?

Yeah, I wouldn't have thought that they have smart NiMH batteries, but check these out:

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/8.4v-3300mah-7-cell-smart-nimh-battery-ic3/SPMX33007C3.html

1644630270033.png

Ooops, sorry, misinterpreted your question. It probably uses some kind of negative delta voltage detection where the voltage drops slightly when the pack becomes fully charged which then triggers the charger to stop charging.

Also I think 1C is the typical charge rate for NiMH batteries.

That made me chuckle.. well u better bust out something to take notes on and clear out the rest of your night cuz u will have a lot to learn my friend!! 🤣
Your cracking me up my guy.. its telling you to manually put it in nimh mode because its not a smart battery, and u can "manually" change the rate.. lmao he wants to know why they don't tell you how to figure out the rate!! Rofl
3300 mah/1000= 3.3 amps, so put it on 3a!

That made me chuckle.. well u better bust out something to take notes on and clear out the rest of your night cuz u will have a lot to learn my friend!! 🤣
Your cracking me up my guy.. its telling you to manually put it in nimh mode because its not a smart battery, and u can "manually" change the rate.. lmao he wants to know why they don't tell you how to figure out the rate!! Rofl
3300 mah/1000= 3.3 amps, so put it on 3a!

Thanks, I get that part too. I'm just saying that selling a charger with a manual that gives the user almost ZERO directions seems like an accident (and liability) waiting to happen. Also, NiMH seems to have fallen by the wayside, and there really isn't a lot of info about proper charging, techniques, etc. LiPO, there's tons. I would figure that there was a Matrix to use, and "Best Practice" ranges, etc.

Mine don't work with nimh. Just doesn't read them. Even with spektrum batteries.

Have another one I use for them

With Nimpacks any decent charger will charge them. And in Nim mode there will always be a Delta Peak value you can use to adjust the peak charged value. Delta peak adjusts the voltage saturation of the whole pack. Nimpack Sub-C cells just don't need to be "balanced" to each other like Lipo cells always do.

With Nimpacks any decent charger will charge them. And in Nim mode there will always be a Delta Peak value you can use to adjust the peak charged value. Delta peak adjusts the voltage saturation of the whole pack. Nimpack Sub-C cells just don't need to be "balanced" to each other like Lipo cells always do.
My s150 is a dud. But the other does what you are saying

Charges a lipo no problem. Nimh nope. I've even seen a video of how to do it. And mine sits and doesn't do nothing.

Didn't know it when I bought it. Didn't need to

My s150 is a dud. But the other does what you are saying

Charges a lipo no problem. Nimh nope. I've even seen a video of how to do it. And mine sits and doesn't do nothing.

Didn't know it when I bought it. Didn't need to
The charger isn't a dud...I found out that charger needs firmware update for it too charge dumb nimhpacks ( google it)...anyway sold off my granite with n8mhs and now strictly using lipos..,save yourselves the agrevation and toss those nimhs...

The charger isn't a dud...I found out that that charger needs firmware update for it too charge dumb nimhpacks...anyway sold off my granite with n8mhs and now strictly using lipos..,save yourselves the agrevation and toss those nimhs...
I like them. And use them with my arrma boosts. Firmware. O. Well. Won't do the smart batteries either.

They have more power than 2s with 12t motor and they don't last super long. Which is great for my use

I have 2s batteries that sit.. and a funny version in one that can use 3s on brushed. And I love it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back