Charging ovonic 8000mah batteries

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WTF MIKE

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
I bought iconic 8000 mah batteries 3s but my chargers only go up to 7000ah. My charger is a venom pro duo. I’m wondering if the charger can be adjusted or is it ok to just charge them at 7000ah

It will stop charging once you reach 7000mAh if your Lipo was run low'ish but restarting it will take it up to your 8000mAh.

No reason why there should be any other issue.

Last edited:
It will stop charging once you reach 7000mAh if your Lipo was run low'ish but restarting it will take it up to your 8000mAh.

No reason why there should be any other issue.
I’m not referring to the max cut out. I’m talking about the amps for example if my battery is 5300mah I set the charger to 5.3 amps.

I’m not referring to the max cut out. I’m talking about the amps for example if my battery is 5300mah I set the charger to 5.3 amps.

Ah, I see.
Yes. It will be fine. It will just charge at a lower rate, effectively lower than 1C. Not necessarily a bad thing for your lipo.. other than it taking 25-30% longer.

Your charger will be running at max charge rate so personally I'd give it a bit of headroom and just charge at 5-6A to keep the heat down and ensure it lasts. Up to you though.. Might not be necessary if you charge in a cooler place.

Last edited:
?What he said

I also have the duo pro and it’s a bummer it won’t go past 7amps. but it will still work fine.

So it won’t make the battery swell? When I first got into the hobby I bought an onyx 6400 mah battery and was charging it at 5.0amps and the battery did swell but I do t know if it was from that

So it won’t make the battery swell? When I first got into the hobby I bought an onyx 6400 mah battery and was charging it at 5.0amps and the battery did swell but I do t know if it was from that
No, swelling is usually caused by charging at too high of a C rate or running the battery too low. Charging at 1C or below should be fine.

No, batteries only swell when overheated, ie; run too hard, charged at too high a rate.. or when there is something else wrong.

Charging slower than the advised charge rate just means charging even cooler, its charging at too high a rate that overheats them.

Unless your Onyx Lipo had an extremely low C rating... (In which case they would have swelled even more at a higher charge rate) then your previous swelling experience was most definitely due to something else. Possibly damage of some sort like, really high resistance on a cell or two.. or maybe a dropped cell mid charge (on a non balance charge program) in which case the remaining cells would overcharge.

If you still have it, you should plug your Onyx lipo into your charger (inc balance plug) and choose the battery resistance program to see what the internal resistance (IR) variance is between the cells... or even see if it has dropped a cell.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back