Charging Questions/Issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yammo

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Outcast 6s
So i run a SkyRC imax B6AC v2 and for my 5200mAh battery from what I understand I can set it to 5.2A which I usually set it a lower at 3-4A if time isn’t an issue because once again to my understanding a slower charge leads to a healthier battery that will maybe have a longer life span in the long run. The thing is it doesn’t really matter what I set it at because no matter what I set it at the charger never seems to go over 2.2A during the charge. Was wondering why this is and if there is anything I can do to fix it?

Was also wondering about the trickle charge. So my charger will be charging at 2.2A until the battery is nearly full up to 4.19v/cell then it will drop to 0.2A. So it takes like 45min to get the battery up to 4.19v/cell then another 30-45min of trickle charging to finish that last 0.01V/cell. I know that’s to help keep the battery healthy and that smart chargers do this on purpose because it’s good to trickle charge the last little bit of juice but I had two questions. How much does that last 30min of trickle charge going to affect the battery runtime and is it unhealthy for the battery to stop the charge during the trickle charge and just run it without topping it off completely? Just seems like a waste of time to charge the battery for like 30 extra min to maybe get an extra I’m guessing min or so runtime.

Not the most knowledgeable when it comes to this stuff so any insight would be much appreciated.

no matter what I set it at the charger never seems to go over 2.2A during the charge.

That's probably the limit of the charger, it's only rated for 50W.

watts = amps * voltage

is it unhealthy for the battery to stop the charge during the trickle charge and just run it without topping it off completely?

Let it run through the entire cycle otherwise it won't balance.

V*A=W

Need to know if your charging 2 cell, 3 cell, 4 cell, etc.

A 3S 5000mah pack requires a charger capable of 5 Amps and 55 watts.
11.1V * 5A = 55.5W

If your charger is only capable of 50W, then it will limit the amps. Since you said it's showing 2.2A, that would suggest your charging maybe a 6S pack, since your at about half what it would be for a 3S/5000mah pack.

If your charger is only capable of 50W, then it will limit the amps. Since you said it's showing 2.2A, that would suggest your charging maybe a 6S pack, since your at about half what it would be for a 3S/5000mah pack.

Yup 6s, so essentially it is just hitting the limitation of the charger? The battery can be safely charged at a faster rate but the charger just can’t get that much juice into that size battery with that many cells at that rate is what it sounds like you are sayin.

Last edited:
Yup 6s, so essentially it is just hitting the limitation of the charger? The battery can be safely charged at a faster rate but the charger just can’t get that much juice into that size battery with that many cells at that rate is what it sounds like you are sayin.
Yep. For 6S 5200mah you need 5.2A AND 115.4 watts to charge at 1C.

I’d charge that at 2c 10.4a but if it had a higher c rating of 3 I’d charge it at 15.6a
You need a better charger. That thing your using will waste tons on your time.
I can parallel charge 2-5000 mah @20a and on the second port 2-8000 mah @32a. This from storage to full charge is 15 minutes.

I’d charge that at 2c 10.4a but if it had a higher c rating of 3 I’d charge it at 15.6a
You need a better charger. That thing your using will waste tons on your time.
I can parallel charge 2-5000 mah @20a and on the second port 2-8000 mah @32a. This from storage to full charge is 15 minutes.

that's the difference in $50 charger and $600 setup LOL

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back