Charging rates

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjl5590

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just a quick question about charging rates.

I've always charged my Turnigy 4000mAh 6s 65c lipo at 2 amps. I thought thought this meant 2C. It would take around 90 minutes.

Now I've found out that I'm not even charging it at 1C (that would be 4A)! And that 2C mean charging it at 8A!

Do people really charge their lipo's at such high current? How quick to they charge?

Hi all,

Just a quick question about charging rates.

I've always charged my Turnigy 4000mAh 6s 65c lipo at 2 amps. I thought thought this meant 2C. It would take around 90 minutes.

Now I've found out that I'm not even charging it at 1C (that would be 4A)! And that 2C mean charging it at 8A!

Do people really charge their lipo's at such high current? How quick to they charge?

I charge at 2C and with my 5000mah packs and that's 10A. Takes less then 30 minutes to balance charge them.

Last edited:
I always charge at 1C. The labels say I can charge a 5c which is 25 amps. No thank you. I charged NIMH at 3C sometimes but I wasn't concerned with burning down my pad. You'll get different answers from everyone. Following the included instructions is paramount, however if you choose to charge at higher rates keep close tabs on your packs while they charge. Im usually in the same room browsing this forum while I'm charging.

I posted a picture a while back with me charging my batteries with a fire extinguisher right beside them. It was more of a joke than anything but be prepared just in case. If you follow safe charging practices and guidelines your batteries should last you a while a lend to an enjoyable RC experience.

Last edited:
I always charge at 1C. The labels say I can charge a 5c which is 25 amps. No thank you. I charged NIMH at 3C sometimes but I wasn't concerned with burning down my pad. You'll get different answers from everyone. Following the included instructions is paramount, however if you chose to charge at higher rates keep close tabs on your packs while they charge. Im usually in the same room browsing this forum while I'm charging.

I posted a picture a while back with me charging my batteries with a fire extinguisher right beside them. It was more of a joke than anything but be prepared just in case. If you follow safe charging practices and guidelines your batteries should last you a while a lend to an enjoyable RC experience.
Very well said! I agree with all of this. You’ll be perfectly fine with charging at 1C OP (4 amps).

Thanks for the replies - I'll be charging at 1C from now on. Just bought a HobbyKing Bat-Safe for extra caution!

A lot say over 1c reduces the longevity of your batteries, but my overlander 5000mah are able to charge at 2c 10a so that's what I've always done I balance charge everytime, always storage charge after use and generally look after them like u would anything else, I know it's not for everybody but I've never had a problem and they've done a lot of cycles now with like others have said around 30 mins charge.

I charge all my batteries @2c except the one 6s lipo is only able to charge @1c according to manufacturer. All my other lipos are at least 2c or higher charge rate capable.

If your battery is rated for 2C and your charger can charge at 2C, then I don't see why you wouldn't want to charge at 2C unless you are in absolutely no rush. I've been charging at 2C for a few years without issue.

Ive always charged at 1C, but if lipo manufacturer says it's ok to charge at 2C, it's your decision.

If your battery is rated for 2C and your charger can charge at 2C, then I don't see why you wouldn't want to charge at 2C unless you are in absolutely no rush. I've been charging at 2C for a few years without issue.
I hope my icharger 406 duo never dies. I charge 4 7200 smc lipo in about 30 minutes, not even stressing the charger.

I will never buy another 1c charge rate lipo again. It really kills the mood when I'm charging 8 4s packs, and 3 6s packs and I have.to charge the one 6s packs all on it's own, for a damn hour. I have charged it higher than 1c but kept an eye on it when I was.

I charge at 1.5C on my 20A chargers (15A to 2 5000mah in parallel pairs) and a bit over 1C on my 4x10A charger. That lets me charge up 8 at once, which is typically all I take with me.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back