Charging staions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The bashist

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Granite
  3. Talion
  4. BigRock 4x4
Looking for some advice on charging stations. I have way to many 6s batteries to be charging them one at a time. When I go bashing, its for a a while. I usually bring 3 to 4 rigs and run a couple packs through each rig. So in turn I spend an entire afternoon and evening charging for the next days bash. I would like something with 4 charging ports as to minimize the time spent preparing battery packs. Also, not sure I like the idea of a separate P.S. for my charger. Help meh..?

You want multiple high power packs charged quickly you are going to need lots of power.

What is the price range you have to play with?

Charging quickly isn't as vital to me as the number of packs being charged simultaneously

Say 4 channel high wattage/amperage system

Attachments

• 0102191349.jpg
    0102191349.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 48
If you want high powered for charging 6s and the ability to charge 4 batteries at once without parallel charging, this is probably your best bet but it needs an external power supply.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turbo-c...ous-balance-charger-discharger-version-2.html
So around 500.00 I should be able to charge x4 6s? I'm not sure I'm reading the specs correctly,but it looks like that charger will only handle 2x 6s batteries at one time.. Please confirm.

So around 500.00 I should be able to charge x4 6s? I'm not sure I'm reading the specs correctly,but it looks like that charger will only handle 2x 6s batteries at one time.. Please confirm.
The charger is 300 watts per channel and there are 4 channels. What spec makes you think that you can only charge two 6s batteries at a time? If it is this "2 x 6S batteries at 20A (2 x 25.2V x 20A = 1008W)", then they are saying that you can charge two 6s batteries at 20 amps each at one time as it is limited by the 1200 total watts. If you charge at 10 amps or lower you can charge 4 at a time.

The charger is 300 watts per channel and there are 4 channels. What spec makes you think that you can only charge two 6s batteries at a time? If it is this "2 x 6S batteries at 20A (2 x 25.2V x 20A = 1008W)", then they are saying that you can charge two 6s batteries at 20 amps each at one time as it is limited by the 1200 total watts. If you charge at 10 amps or lower you can charge 4 at a time.
I think that was my point of confusion yes. Thank you for that clarification. Feel a bit silly now lolz

Any thoughts on a road charger? Something I can plug into like a 300w inverter. I'm lucky yet unlucky as I am in a different state every day usually. Get to run my rigs all over the place. ?

I think that was my point of confusion yes. Thank you for that clarification. Feel a bit silly now lolz
Not a problem. Also another thing that you may want to look into, and I cannot confirm, maybe @Jerry-rigged can help as he has the single port or dual port version of this charger, but a lot of high output chargers require more than 18 volts to put out their full power. If that's the case it would suck to get a 12v power supply and be limited to 150 watts per channel or 600 watts total. Just something to potentially be aware of.

Not a problem. Also another thing that you may want to look into, and I cannot confirm, maybe @Jerry-rigged can help as he has the single port or dual port version of this charger, but a lot of high output chargers require more than 18 volts to put out their full power. If that's the case it would suck to get a 12v power supply and be limited to 150 watts per channel or 600 watts total. Just something to potentially be aware of.
True. I'm looking for both, really, big dog for home big bash days and the smaller one for on the road use.

If you're serious about a mobile rig I've seen some people do great setups with deep cycle marine batteries when I was flying helicopters.

Well, I'm looking just to fill the gaps for when I'm gone during the week. 4 days on 3 days off sort of situation. Not sure I want to invest in a full on deep cycle set-up in a company vehicle. However, I would be interested in that info for a project I'm working on that is rc related. Super secret stuffs lol.

Mainly started the thread to get input on a home based multiple channel charging station for home use.

If you're serious about a mobile rig I've seen some people do great setups with deep cycle marine batteries when I was flying helicopters.

I have a setup like this for my drones. LiFePO4 would be even better, but I'm too cheap.

Well, I'm looking just to fill the gaps for when I'm gone during the week. 4 days on 3 days off sort of situation. Not sure I want to invest in a full on deep cycle set-up in a company vehicle. However, I would be interested in that info for a project I'm working on that is rc related. Super secret stuffs lol.
I hear ya.. just an option if you want to have the same charging capacity with the same charger whether you're mobile or on AC.

As long as you keep an eye on the car battery, it works fine. Just don't do many cycles before driving for a while. I found that out the hard way.

I have this hard wired to the car battery. Got lucky with that at least since the battery is in the trunk. Lets me charge 2x150w/2x12A when I'm out bashing. I only run 2S or 3S packs, so I don't need that high of wattage to charge them.
2018-0326-HTRC-H150ACDCDuo.jpg

I'm guessing you would be better off going straight to the 12V source on the battery as I doubt you will get an inverter that can put out the amps you need. In the end, you would be limited by the wiring of the car, which isn't that heavy.

As long as you keep an eye on the car battery, it works fine. Just don't do many cycles before driving for a while. I found that out the hard way.

I have this hard wired to the car battery. Got lucky with that at least since the battery is in the trunk. Lets me charge 2x150w/2x12A when I'm out bashing. I only run 2S or 3S packs, so I don't need that high of wattage to charge them.
2018-0326-HTRC-H150ACDCDuo.jpg

I'm guessing you would be better off going straight to the 12V source on the battery as I doubt you will get an inverter that can put out the amps you need. In the end, you would be limited by the wiring of the car, which isn't that heavy.
That looks super sweet! I do have some 3s rigs, don't run them as much as my 6s rigs tbh. Thank you for the pic, looks very nice and tidy.

Ive been using this charger and power supplies (or a good deep cycle battery at the field) for a couple of years now. No issues with anything I throw at them. Will do my 6s-5500 packs 6 at a time in a little under an hour 2c charge rate is my max I use) IMO one of the best chargers out there. As far as the PSUs, you don't need more gadgets, just power. Server PSUs are perfect for this, and a lot cheaper.

http://www.revolectrix.com/pl6_description_tab.htm

http://lipoconnectionsolutions.com/Dell-24v-71A-1740w-Power-Supply-4mm-EC5-XT60-XT90-D241740.htm

Do NOT use a cars battery to pull 20+ amps from it for more than a minute. The plates in a cranking pack vs a deep cycle are significantly different and you WILL ruin a car battery fairly quickly.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back