Charging station?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surchaufeur

Very Active Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Nero
  4. Notorious
for the pass two years i have been charging my lipos on my ceramic floor. Been thinking about it recently. Not the safest thing. I never had a battery puff on me or anything But you never know. Decided to get some 14awg wire to extend the main leads of my charger. Im going to double the balance extenders. Also ordered another ammo box. The ideal way to do it would be to make some holes on the sides. I don't have the tools right now for that so im just going to leave the ammo box unclamped and my wires will slide trough the opening. Not perfect but better than charging on bare floor. The length and gauge of the main leads doer matter too much right? I wasnt able find 12AWG so i bought 14AWG.
image.jpg

for the pass two years i have been charging my lipos on my ceramic floor. Been thinking about it recently. Not the safest thing. I never had a battery puff on me or anything But you never know. Decided to get some 14awg wire to extend the main leads of my charger. Im going to double the balance extenders. Also ordered another ammo box. The ideal way to do it would be to make some holes on the sides. I don't have the tools right now for that so im just going to leave the ammo box unclamped and my wires will slide trough the opening. Not perfect but better than charging on bare floor. The length and gauge of the main leads doer matter too much right? I wasnt able find 12AWG so i bought 14AWG. View attachment 211685
These work. Cheap and can be drilled.

C24FEA09-2E42-4C06-8844-2EF9012AFD6D.png

Its just ridiculous expensive . 100 to 200$ for one!? The cheapest is 79.99$ here
$80 to $200 is cheap insurance against a house, garage, or shed fire.

I use a Bat-Safe with a Hitec AC X2 charger. Most of my batteries have EC5 connectors, so I use an EC5 charging cable and a balance board put through the rubber port on the top of the Bat-Safe. I use EC5 adapters on the charging cable for the additional types of battery connectors I have (XT60, XT90, and Traxxas). By using the adapters I never have to change out the charging cable, which is a real PITA on a Bat-Safe.

Last edited:
for the pass two years i have been charging my lipos on my ceramic floor. Been thinking about it recently. Not the safest thing. I never had a battery puff on me or anything But you never know. Decided to get some 14awg wire to extend the main leads of my charger. Im going to double the balance extenders. Also ordered another ammo box. The ideal way to do it would be to make some holes on the sides. I don't have the tools right now for that so im just going to leave the ammo box unclamped and my wires will slide trough the opening. Not perfect but better than charging on bare floor. The length and gauge of the main leads doer matter too much right? I wasnt able find 12AWG so i bought 14AWG. View attachment 211685
14 ga wire is good for 15a. I’d look for some #12 or even #10 wire. But it depends on your charger. I’ll charge my 8s packs at 32a.

14 ga wire is good for 15a. I’d look for some #12 or even #10 wire. But it depends on your charger. I’ll charge my 8s packs at 32a.
I charge one baterry at the time
5amp
1C
Can’t you select a different warehouse; like one in the US?
Cant put them on my cart
$80 to $200 is cheap insurance against a house, garage, or shed fire.

I use a Bat-Safe with a Hitec AC X2 charger. Most of my batteries have EC5 connectors, so I use an EC5 charging cable and a balance board put through the rubber port on the top of the Bat-Safe. I use EC5 adapters on the charging cable for the additional types of battery connectors I have (XT60, XT90, and Traxxas). By using the adapters I never have to change out the charging cable, which is a real PITA on a Bat-Safe.
Im going to ask my father if he can drill side holes for me. This is better than just charging in the floor.

Last edited:
Someone posted bat safes on here a couple months back, they were 50 bucks.

aa.jpg
bb.jpg

This is a charging station I made a few years ago. It has a temp. controller built in. Anything over 105° a solenoid opens and dumps 20cf of Argon into the charging compartment. I posted this awhile back, so some may have seen it before.

Cheapest I have found the Bat-Safe in Canada is at Great Hobbies.

Assuming it's the typical hobby grade silicone insulated wire, your 14AWG leads will be fine and even overkill for any reasonable charging amperage with those batteries. The stuff we use can handle higher current than regular old PVC insulated wire. Heavier gauge would only make it more of a pain to run wires.

Good idea setting the ammo box on ceramic tile. They don't have any thermal insulating properties so the heat from a battery fire will be transferred efficiently through the box and into whatever surface it's in contact with. Maybe you could line the inside of the box with tile or drywall board. Saw a few people who did that and it probably keeps the outside temperature down during an energetic incident.

Assuming it's the typical hobby grade silicone insulated wire, your 14AWG leads will be fine and even overkill for any reasonable charging amperage with those batteries. The stuff we use can handle higher current than regular old PVC insulated wire. Heavier gauge would only make it more of a pain to run wires.

Good idea setting the ammo box on ceramic tile. They don't have any thermal insulating properties so the heat from a battery fire will be transferred efficiently through the box and into whatever surface it's in contact with. Maybe you could line the inside of the box with tile or drywall board. Saw a few people who did that and it probably keeps the outside temperature down during an energetic incident.
I do this and I'm hoping since I have tile and sand on the bottom I will be able to safely carry the can to my balcony in an emergency as I also don't have holes drilled for the wires so I can't close it fully and use the handle.

Yup was thinking gluing dry wall to separate both batteries from each other. Its very flexible wire. seem to be good quality

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back