Chassis brace

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justatree

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fury
due to me having not too much money to spend, and I like to see diys, has anyone tried to make their own diy chassis brace for the 1/8 line?

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
due to me having not too much money to spend, and I like to see diys, has anyone tried to make their own diy chassis brace for the 1/8 line?
Heres what i did.

The first photo is a Kraton chassis cut down for a bash/chassis stiffener,second photo is Diy 2inch 1/8aluminum flat bar from Ace hardware.

The first photo is a Kraton chassis cut down for a bash/chassis stiffener,second photo is Diy 2inch 1/8aluminum flat bar from Ace hardware.
is the diy top chassis part cnc? cause I don't think I can make that precise cuts haha, I do want to make on when my kraton arrives

Made by dremmel,file and 4inch thin cutoff wheel,all done by hand and not so perfect!
looks pretty cool and very neat for a diy! Does your roll cage still bolt on even after that is installed? If not, I might have to look into making one where the roll cage will still fit on the chassis, I seen some people use a stick (pole like) aluminum going right in the middle of the roll cage

looks pretty cool and very neat for a diy! Does your roll cage still bolt on even after that is installed? If not, I might have to look into making one where the roll cage will still fit on the chassis, I seen some people use a stick (pole like) aluminum going right in the middle of the roll cage
Just finished and tested mine today, so far so good.
IMG_20170117_092815403.jpg
IMG_20170117_105524071.jpg
IMG_20170117_092915940.jpg
IMG_20170117_092658253.jpg

What are we trying to prevent with home made chassis brace. I presume flex,but more reasoning please. Because you crash jump?
Steve I'm not overly concerned with sparing my Kraton body. If you jump your rigs high enough/bash rough style....Etc there's a real possibility of the stock chassis support system failing. They normally fail in the rear from what I've seen/heard. When they fail, your chassis and shock tower can tweak, bulkhead break, possible damage to at least rear diff gears and center driveshaft. I've already bashed the crap out of my Kraton without it and been OK. But to me it's a matter of time as I like doing motocross size jumps. Don't feel like this mod is a must do. If I don't like any adverse changes to handling caused from lack of chassis flex, mine will either get modified or be removed. Until then it's insurance in avoiding an epic fail. GKA chassis braces look really nice, too. Wanted to try tower to tower first. So far I'm really liking it.

Thinking about making my own as well, although I won't be copying others braces. I have something else in mind. Just have too many things on the building table right now and it's been miserable outside...

I like the chassis brace you fabbed up. There are a few others I've seen do the same mod in a similar way, 72Z15SS used graphite.

I have some 1/2" thick walled aluminum rod and some 7 & 8 mm graphite rods as well that I have been playing around with, haven't decided which I'm going to use yet? I can't seem to get a good alignment through the body support tower with the different height in the front and rear shock towers.

I can't tell from your pics, but did you cut any of the cross supports in the center tower to allow for better alignment to fasten the bar at each of the towers without putting pressure on one end or the other?

I like the chassis brace you fabbed up. There are a few others I've seen do the same mod in a similar way, 72Z15SS used graphite.

I have some 1/2" thick walled aluminum rod and some 7 & 8 mm graphite rods as well that I have been playing around with, haven't decided which I'm going to use yet? I can't seem to get a good alignment through the body support tower with the different height in the front and rear shock towers.

I can't tell from your pics, but did you cut any of the cross supports in the center tower to allow for better alignment to fasten the bar at each of the towers without putting pressure on one end or the other?

Yes,I cut just 1 top corner brace out front/rear and the 3/8" barely fit but it's pretty easy to remove.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back