Kraton chassis protection

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glxfr

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Hi, I was wondering if any of you use any kind of protection for the under chassis. I know JConcept do some for other cars to limit the damage on the under side.

Thx

IMG_0315.JPG
IMG_0314.JPG

SWEET!

Where is this from? Brand/name? Or is this selfmade?

It's 3M vinyl with a print on it. Go on e-bay and search. It's made by Rc Decal.

If you really want a slick tough skid plate... go to McMaster Carr web page and look up hdpe plastic sheets. It's sometimes white or black. You get about a1/8 or a little less sheet and make a skid plate. Get creative with attaching it. It can also be heated and curved a little. It's the same material cutting boards are made of and rock crawlers are using it as skid plates. I did this years ago and may do it again. Been thinking about revisiting it. It worked well if done right.

The chassis is so cheap you could actually just beat it to hell and just replace it or..... hit it with some spray Duplicolor bed liner and fill in all the scratches and start over again. I do that often with my Slash, works well. , just let it dry for 2 days first.

Last edited:
Great thank you all for your great ideas. I think I'm gonna get myself a spare chassis plate to use as skid plate cheers

you could stiffen the chassis with another one and also protect that with something. Just to make it last after you do some decent work.

ended up buying a chassis plate for $30 on ebay, cheapest I found cos as you said it will do 2 things, stiffen up the chassis and protect it.
The decals were working at the same price with shipping. Would have gone with the decals also but too expensive for what it is I think.

we're not into mad extreme bashing either, no high jumps etc, but if we can protect the car then good

The decals are expensive.

I have to upgrade my chassis stiffener. I'm going with a carbon fiber tube in place of the aluminum in there now. Less weight rules with these RC's. It's hard to keep the weight down but every little bit ends up helping me. It stops lots of flex and will be very light.

The decals are expensive.

I have to upgrade my chassis stiffener. I'm going with a carbon fiber tube in place of the aluminum in there now. Less weight rules with these RC's. It's hard to keep the weight down but every little bit ends up helping me. It stops lots of flex and will be very light.
Carbonfiber is poor under compression,but strong in tensile.I would think your al one would be better.

It's expensive also but it's strong enough for what it's getting used for. I don't feel it takes that much force in an rc vehicle. The solid rod I have now has some heft to it. It works well but maybe can be improved upon ? You are right... it may be just fine. The one in my Slash made by Axis is carbon fiber. I would like to utilize that and lengthen it. Or use the same design. I think maybe I already have something that works... maybe it won't be worth messing with. Just a thought also.

Last edited:
I race RC sailing boat from 65cm to 2m long and carbon is used in the hull construction, masts, boom and so to spread the load on key places in the boat. carbon tubes are pretty strong but the key is find the right type of tubes. In some of them the CF is lengthways (uni-directional) which makes them good for load and compression in the length of the tube but bad in torsion. whereas tubes made of CF layed at 45 degrees to each other makes them really strong in torsion and bending. The thickness of the tube is also important, an extra mm is not going to add much weight but will really make the tube much stronger.

Just few thoughts to bare in mind. Hope it helps

It sure does help. It all adds to the idea of protecting the chassis. No matter if it's from getting beat from the bottom or to stop flex. . I like to try and keep it from getting ripped up on the bottom and at the same time stiffen it. These are all excellent methods. I really like all the different ways that have been done. Weight is just something I hate to add but that's just me. Sometimes you can't get around it. I always try to stay light with mods. Just something to consider.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back