Chassis swap talion to dex8t

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cconnj

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Talion
so I looked at my chassis and it has a twist in it since I wrecked. I also had 2 screws pull through. Has anyone done a chassis swap with a dex8t? I have one on its way and was just wondering what I was in for.
Thanks

so I looked at my chassis and it has a twist in it since I wrecked. I also had 2 screws pull through. Has anyone done a chassis swap with a dex8t? I have one on its way and was just wondering what I was in for.
Thanks
Your going to need alot of parts, center diff mount, motor mount , and some others.

Your going to need alot of parts, center diff mount, motor mount , and some others.
The center diff of dex8t is mounted to a plate then chassis. It looks like the mount holes are the same even with the different design. I know the gear cases are already the same, already have a dex8t gear case bolted to talion frame. The drive shafts can be used in either car. The chassis should be to me in next 48hrs. I'll let you know.

The chassis are not that different. The 2 most forward holes in the larger portion of the chassis are missing, and the motor mount area. Laying them on top the holes look to be identical. There "are extra" on the dex8t

I'm going to move forward building my talion/dex8t mutant. I'll post pics of the build if anyone is interested. I was looking for an all aluminum build up, minus the components at this scale that should give. I think I can complete the entire build by using the dex8t chassis and those patented parts to that truggy.

Attachments

• IMG_0492.JPG
    IMG_0492.JPG
    187.8 KB · Views: 148
ESC mount and servo mount needed. $6

Center diff is apparently better on Arrma vehicles. (I have no experience, relying on info from others) Have DEX8T motor mount ordered, plan on making carbon fiber mounting plate for Arrma HR motor mount, and Arrma center diff mounts (aluminum). Just need to find DEX8 aluminum servo mount or drill holes for GKA.

IMG_0498.JPG

View attachment 8473
Real carbon fiber adapter plate mockup. Holes drilled for motor mount and center diff mounts, rough cuts done.

Dex8t plate will work if you flip the center diff mounts upside down. I attempted to drill out the correct positioning of the arrma mounts but material is too thin, drill bit walked. It would be easier to recreate the plate. This is my plan B if the carbon fiber plate fails.

Attachments

• IMG_0555.JPG
    IMG_0555.JPG
    320.2 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_0552.JPG
    IMG_0552.JPG
    216.4 KB · Views: 135
After some research and info from some Losi guys, I'm going to attempt to install an aluminum center diff from the Losi. The internals are much stronger and thicker. Better design and execution. I'll post pics once I get sometime to put it all together and see if it's really going to fit properly in the arrma mounts and stock mounting locations. More to come...

How is this project coming? Like the ideal if this is possible with good result.

I just ordered a Mugen 1/8 diff and HR aluminum cup. I have info that the Mugen internals and output cups are stronger and will fit right in the Arrma cup and spur. I'll post info and pics when I build it. I thought my front diff was bad, but ended up only being the input cup to the diff loose on the gear shaft.

How did the chassis swap work out?

It's been put on hold. Work has taken over along with family vacations. The carbon fiber adapter i made is going to be what I'm using. The only issue I'm foreseeing is the drive shaft length is changing. Once that hurdle is overcome if it is an issue everything else is easy. I also have a larger stronger servo that I need to mount to the Dex8t chassis

More parts ordered. Really wanted aluminum gear cases and now available. Ordered some additional aluminum parts as well. I found in AU the dex8t has a little bigger following. One of the issues I was having is the rear support for aarma just wasn’t going to work. Needed Dex8t but needed metal so could be altered and retapped. I’ve added a large 3D printer to my arsenal of tools. I’m hoping to print carbon fiber for the adapter plate. Making it much easier to make adjustments and replicate it if necessary. I know it’s been awhile, but had some priorities to do. Parts are looking to come first week of November so looking to wrap up this project once they arrive.

I have made an adapter plate successfully out of sheet carbon fiber. After cutting it needs to be “finished” with a resin. The fibers from the cut edge are an issue as far as splintering. Also why the plan of 3D printing it. Final attempt if carbon fiber needs to be abandoned will be a 6061 plate cut and tapped. Thanks everyone I’ll be back soon with new pics and parts.

After careful consideration and the dex8t now being dead. I’ve decided to just build a completely new chassis

Rough cutout done

Attachments

• 24C9960E-59E5-42E1-A8AB-241236063FE7.jpeg
    24C9960E-59E5-42E1-A8AB-241236063FE7.jpeg
    265.1 KB · Views: 98
  • 3B0DC692-7690-4C59-955A-FE3452A91E1B.jpeg
    3B0DC692-7690-4C59-955A-FE3452A91E1B.jpeg
    318 KB · Views: 104
Anything happen with the new chassis? And did you get to bolt on the durango shock towers to the stock talion boxes?

The durango chassis was abandoned. Parts started becoming scarce. Made a carbon fiber adapter plate, worked but wasn't the easiest solution. Working on the truck was difficult with the carbon plates. Needed to 3m tape along entire plate with the screws that were tapped resonance into the carbon fiber made for some vibration issues. Started on new chassis out of mic6 tooling plate. Strength is not an issue but weight is. Going to mill down the chassis in sections to greatly reduce the weight. Everything gets very hot. This has turned into I started so will finish project, however not something I recommend doing.

Anything happen with the new chassis? And did you get to bolt on the durango shock towers to the stock talion boxes?
Also in hindsight I should of just ordered carbon fiber to make the chassis and made an aluminum plate around the weaker areas. Would have solved the weight issue and been close to indestructible. Hope this info helps everyone who is looking to go down this rabbit hole. LOL

The carbon fiber adapter plate: resonance was an issue. The vibrations into the carbon fiber caused issues. 3m auto double sided tape to chassis helped. Very difficult to work on lining up small parts with 2 things moving. 3m tape is really strong and once down doesn't want to come off. Line up with tape and try to screw down (not the easiest) New MIC6 tooling plate was tested in rough form. Super stiff, nothing moves, but weight is an issue. Everything got very hot. Going to mill it down similar to Durango chassis but this is not a solution I recommend. I am going to finish it because I started it and already in it. At the very least if still too heavy, I will have this chassis as a show piece when completed. Anodized it should look really nice. I do not recommend this path. Spend the time money and effort in Carbon fiber. Make your own chassis. Pick the parts before hand. Balsa wood is cheap easy way to create your template for new parts and get it together. One day I hope to get a cad or make a cad of the Chassis and just 3d print it for testing. Holes and designs could be printed tested and scrapped without the time in fab work. With a working Cad it could then just be sent to a CNC fab shop and created. Happy building, crashing, bashing everyone!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back