Cheap 3s lipo vs expensive lipo run time

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hpiracer

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hi I would like to know would a cheap zee 3s lipo 5200mah 80c run as long as a expensive gens-ace-r-spam lipo with similar specs or a spectrum battery with similar specs? I will be running brushless rally car 1/10

Hi I would like to know would a cheap zee 3s lipo 5200mah 80c run as long as a expensive gens-ace-r-spam lipo with similar specs or a spectrum battery with similar specs? I will be running brushless rally car 1/10
My Zeees give me a slightly better run time than my Spektrum's, 2-3 minutes in almost everything. The Spektrum's seem to outperform the Zeees slightly in brushed cars. But Spektrum's aren't "high-end." They're just expensive, because you're paying for the smart features. I don't have any Gens-Ace, so I won't speak to them.

There really isn't an easy answer to this question because comparing lipos from different brands even if the listed specs are similar is still a crap shoot because the listed specs are never true to begin with.

If it's only for 10th scale rally car, I wouldn't spend much money on batteries. Amp draw is too low to make a big difference, unless the battery is complete trash which I don't think Zee's are.

My Zeees give me a slightly better run time than my Spektrum's, 2-3 minutes in almost everything. The Spektrum's seem to outperform the Zeees slightly in brushed cars. But Spektrum's aren't "high-end." They're just expensive, because you're paying for the smart features. I don't have any Gens-Ace, so I won't speak to them.
So the spectrums aren't worth it ?
If it's only for 10th scale rally car, I wouldn't spend much money on batteries. Amp draw is too low to make a big difference, unless the battery is complete trash which I don't think Zee's are.
I'm running extremely low gearing with a 4600 , do you think it will make a difference?
There really isn't an easy answer to this question because comparing lipos from different brands even if the listed specs are similar is still a crap shoot because the listed specs are never true to begin with.
So what should I look at when buying a battery

I'm looking for some extra batteries to go with my Spektrum 3S kit ones for my Kraton and not sure what to get either. A single 6S or two more 3S same brand or ?

Zeees have been good to me 6/3s batts. Good price good punch good run time. Run 3s 100c 8000mah hard case, run time is 30 mins+

So the spectrums aren't worth it ?
Well, they aren't bad batteries, there are just cheaper options that perform just as well if you don't care about the smart features. I have a handful of Spektrum's because I'm getting my kids into the hobby, and the smart features are great for them, especially auto-storage discharge. So, they're worth it if you want the smart features, but you also have to kind of go all in with the brand if you want to take full advantage of the features (Spekrum charger, spektrum ESCs, etc...).

Spektrums out perform zeee by a long shot imo.. Not even close, performance and run time.. I rock the spektrum for the felony and senton.. cnhl's for the exb but gonna try them in the felony as well!!

20211204_213156_HDR.jpg

+1!!!!!!!!!!!

These the ones? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08696WZMK

What do you give up by not using a Spektrum Smart Battery? I have the Spektrum kit that came with two 3S batteries and a charger: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088Y6R826
Spektrum's auto-discharge to storage voltage...thats the biggest perk IMO. If you use a Spekrum smart charger with a smart battery, it auto detects everything and you never have to worry about adjusting charge settings. The G2 batteries don't have a separate balance lead, and they will report battery level to certain Spektrum transmitters such as DX3s or DX5s. Most of the features are a slight convenience at best IMO, and they just really aren't worth the cost when compared to other batteries. I've run a LOT of Zeees and Hoovos, and the only RCs I've personally experienced Spekrums actually performing better are brushed models, such as my Voltage. I think the smart features are good for kids, people new to the hobby, or maybe if a person is a bit undisciplined and has trouble with proper battery maintenance, but you're paying for the features, not a superior battery. And being that you can purchase 4 Hoovos (2s) right now for ~$6 more than a single Spekrum.....it's a no-brainer.

Spektrum's auto-discharge to storage voltage...thats the biggest perk IMO. If you use a Spekrum smart charger with a smart battery, it auto detects everything and you never have to worry about adjusting charge settings. The G2 batteries don't have a separate balance lead, and they will report battery level to certain Spektrum transmitters such as DX3s or DX5s. Most of the features are a slight convenience at best IMO, and they just really aren't worth the cost when compared to other batteries. I've run a LOT of Zeees and Hoovos, and the only RCs I've personally experienced Spekrums actually performing better are brushed models, such as my Voltage. I think the smart features are good for kids, people new to the hobby, or maybe if a person is a bit undisciplined and has trouble with proper battery maintenance, but you're paying for the features, not a superior battery. And being that you can purchase 4 Hoovos (2s) right now for ~$6 more than a single Spekrum.....it's a no-brainer.
+1!!!
With low amp brushed setups, any brand lipo will run fine. Splitting hairs on 2 min more or less run time is a neglible, moot point.

I'm pretty new to this level of RC and several of the forum folks told me to be sure to run a "storage charge" on my batteries if I didn't plan to use them for a few days. Are you saying these Spektrum batteries will just auto discharge down to that level on their own? If so I just learned something.

I recently got a DX3 as an upgrade to the SLT3 Tx and I do like that it gives me a battery capacity status on the Tx. Dunno if that and auto discharge to storage level is worth 2.5X the money though :unsure: I'd hate to burn my truck to the ground with a cheapo battery though.

Last edited:
I'm pretty new to this level of RC and several of the forum folks told me to be sure to run a "storage charge" on my batteries if I didn't plan to use them for a few days. Are you saying these Spektrum batteries will just auto discharge down to that level on their own? If so I just learned something.

I recently got a DX3 as an upgrade to the SLT3 Tx and I do like that it gives me a battery capacity status on the Tx. Dunno if that and auto discharge to storage level is worth 2.5X the money though :unsure: I'd hate to burn my truck to the ground with a cheapo battery though.
They will auto discharge to storage voltage after being charged, but you still have to storage charge them after use. I use them for my kids because they get excited when I'm at work and charge batteries so we can drive later and then if we don't end up doing it, I don't have to worry....however, it's still not "best practice." The battery level on the transmitter is nice, especially when you are starting out, but as you get more familiar with things you'll learn to spot a low charge on the battery just from how the car is running. As far as cheap batteries burning things up, I used to worry about the same thing, but in my experience and the experience of many others, it's damage and misuse that you have to worry about, not the cost of the battery. All of that said, those are my opinions, and wouldn't fault someone for using what they like.

You have it all wrong. A so called lipo that is not Smart will not burn your rig down. User error no matter the lipo brand will do this for you. Everyone thinks Smart Lipos are safer and have better performance than the rest, so the high price Seems justified. Just not reality. And a lazy mans way of handling lipos with supposedly less lipo background knowledge required. If the Smart Eco thing works for you, great. Just that they are very far from the be all end all of lipos. The DX3 wont give you any real Voltage readings, What you really want. The Lights mean nothing regarding the lipo's capacity. What if any purpose does it serve? IDK. Any medium priced Non Smart radio and Non Smart lipo can give you Actual Voltage telemetry with the right Receiver. If lipo capacity really matters. It seems that the care and proper feeding of lipos went out the window with the Smart Eco thing. Not really though. Don't be fooled. Not hating. Just my observations from the many Smart users and the questions and issues they have.
I looked into the whole Smart thing, read all the manuals and all, the best Smart chargers, G2's etc. Not for me. I like the ability to choose from numerous other, better, and much less expensive brands of lipos that perform way better and last longer. The Smart embedded Lipo IC's inside the lipos are known to fail. To me that is one more added liability. I like Dumb lipos.
Maybe I have dumb logic.:ROFLMAO:

You have it all wrong. A so called lipo that is not Smart will not burn your rig down. User error no matter the lipo brand will do this for you. Everyone thinks Smart Lipos are safer and have better performance than the rest, so the high price Seems justified. Just not reality. And a lazy mans way of handling lipos with supposedly less lipo background knowledge required. If the Smart Eco thing works for you, great. Just that they are very far from the be all end all of lipos. The DX3 wont give you any real Voltage readings, What you really want. The Lights mean nothing regarding the lipo's capacity. What if any purpose does it serve? IDK. Any medium priced Non Smart radio and Non Smart lipo can give you Actual Voltage telemetry with the right Receiver. If lipo capacity really matters. It seems that the care and proper feeding of lipos went out the window with the Smart Eco thing. Not really though. Don't be fooled. Not hating. Just my observations from the many Smart users and the questions and issues they have.
I looked into the whole Smart thing, read all the manuals and all, the best Smart chargers, G2's etc. Not for me. I like the ability to choose from numerous other, better, and much less expensive brands of lipos that perform way better and last longer. The Smart embedded Lipo IC's inside the lipos are known to fail. To me that is one more added liability. I like Dumb lipos.
Maybe I have dumb logic.:ROFLMAO:
I am a smart batt. user and yet I 100% agree with everything you have said. The smart battery is only as smart as the user.
Spektrum products , though I'm a huge fan, does have a lot of fancy 'gimmicks' to show off but not at all practical.
Though I know there are better stuff out there I am kind of a brand loyal guy. I have all CC ESC's and motor's except for the Spektrum stuff that came in my RTR Lasernut....which I have a CC system on standby for when it takes a dive.

So anyway, yea smart isnt as amazing as they are made to be, but I find them ok but all the on the fly stuff I cant see me ever using. Just my input

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back