Cheap batteries

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theo688

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Outcast 4s
I am newer to the lipo Scene but love to research everything before I jump in.

Do cheaper lipo batteries take longer to balance? And is my charger just being picky? It’s a accucell6 and it seems to time out trying to balance a pack. It will eventually get there if I reset the time on it but seems like a very long time to balance a pack.

I am newer to the lipo Scene but love to research everything before I jump in.

Do cheaper lipo batteries take longer to balance? And is my charger just being picky? It’s a accucell6 and it seems to time out trying to balance a pack. It will eventually get there if I reset the time on it but seems like a very long time to balance a pack.
At 50w you don't have a lot of wattage to work with. What batteries are you charging?

Yeah with that charger it will probably take an hour and a half to charge that battery. Your charger is underpowered for that battery and this is why it takes so long to charge.

Thank you, I will look into something more powerful. What do you recommend?

Is charging the battery the issue or is balancing? I’m confused here. A higher powered charger isn’t going to make a battery balance any quicker, because at the end of the day almost all chargers balance at some 300-400 milliamps.

Is charging the battery the issue or is balancing? I’m confused here. A higher powered charger isn’t going to make a battery balance any quicker, because at the end of the day almost all chargers balance at some 300-400 milliamps.
I just noticed he said balancing. I have a brand new lipo that from storage charge took 2 hours to balance so it very well could be a bad battery. But either way his charger is underpowered for what he is charging.

That thing better get returned
It came with the wltoys 14001 it's a $5 battery 2s 1500mah I'm not even going to bother returning it. I'll just dispose of it.

Having an underpowered charger will take forever to balance charge. That charger is for tiny Quad lipos or similar. And its also possible you have one lipo cell that's reached its EOL. Cant keep up with the rest. If you have a charger that can charge a pack in 45 min from 3.8volts-4.2 , then you ar good. The rest is math.

You can keep us all guessing but what is your definition of long? You should in the neighborhood of 1.5-2h max if all is well and that is when you start at ~ 3.7V per cell. If it's longer than that you most likely have a weak lipo cell.

For charging, as above the Venom is good but limited in power. It is sufficient for your battery type but if you ever plan on going higher in cell count you should consider a more capable charger. HOTA D6 in single or dual version is what I would recommend. Only hearing good things about it.

https://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?route=product/category&path=113

Last edited:
Thank you, I will look into something more powerful. What do you recommend?
That's a loaded question. There are other threads here on AF discussing chargers.

You can keep us all guessing but what is your definition of long? You should in the neighborhood of 1.5-2h max if all is well and that is when you start at ~ 3.7V per cell. If it's longer than that you most likely have a weak lipo cell.

For charging, as above the Venom is good but limited in power. It is sufficient for your battery type but if you ever plan on going higher in cell count you should consider a more capable charger. HOTA D6 in single or dual version is what I would recommend. Only hearing good things about it.

https://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?route=product/category&path=113
Sorry, I have been away on vacation,

If I charge my battery from a balanced storage it will or can time out the charger at 2 hours

I use this on in its duo version. They are solid but also old. You will need a power supply which will add cost. Would have been a premium charger 7 years ago.

I use this on in its duo version. They are solid but also old. You will need a power supply which will add cost. Would have been a premium charger 7 years ago.
I’ll keep looking for something. My chargers works now just takes forever.

The slower the charge rate, the better it will be for battery life/health. When I get new packs, I put it on the charger for balance charge at like 1/4C rate, takes hours, but brings the pack to a nice balanced charged state. Normal operation I charge at about 1/2C, maybe 1C if I want it faster.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back