Cheap tools vs MIP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have MIP 1.5mm and 2.0mm, love them both especially for those delicate grubs and tiny screws. I use the Dynamite machined hex driver 2.5mm for the bigger screws, and it hasn't let me down.
I am recalling my previous comments. My MIP 2mm driver has become so bad, I don't even take it out of the box any more. My 2.5 seems to be headed to a similar fate. Giving the amount of metal to metal connections I have now, the MIP are just wearing at the tips and if I wasn't weary, would have destroyed a lot of screws. On the other hand, my older Dynamite 2.5 mm and newer 2.0 mm are doing the job very nicely. And add this to the equation, If I feel at any time the heads are getting worn out, just buy a new one and pop it in. Replacements are cheap too. Took me a while to ask around, but as it turns out, almost all the techs in the hobby stores aren't all that keen about MIP. All claim them to be over priced and not as reliable. Man they felt great when hey were new and only working on my 3s truck, but since wrenching on the 6s has become my new norm, don't feel like taking the chances. And for those who understood that MIP will do something when you start to have issues, I tried to no avail. Many will disagree, fair enough. I'm just giving my opinion as someone who has used them for a while.

I am recalling my previous comments. My MIP 2mm driver has become so bad, I don't even take it out of the box any more. My 2.5 seems to be headed to a similar fate. Giving the amount of metal to metal connections I have now, the MIP are just wearing at the tips and if I wasn't weary, would have destroyed a lot of screws. On the other hand, my older Dynamite 2.5 mm and newer 2.0 mm are doing the job very nicely. And add this to the equation, If I feel at any time the heads are getting worn out, just buy a new one and pop it in. Replacements are cheap too. Took me a while to ask around, but as it turns out, almost all the techs in the hobby stores aren't all that keen about MIP. All claim them to be over priced and not as reliable. Man they felt great when hey were new and only working on my 3s truck, but since wrenching on the 6s has become my new norm, don't feel like taking the chances. And for those who understood that MIP will do something when you start to have issues, I tried to no avail. Many will disagree, fair enough. I'm just giving my opinion as someone who has used them for a while.

I thought it was just me. I've been contemplating retracting my previous statement as well. At first this thing was amazing but now it blows a bag of peepee's. It did last a lot longer than the Dynamite ones did, but I can buy a new tip for that for like $7. I too have been eyeing the Neewer set on Amazon.
15712773238602389089685928031749.jpg

I still have to physically remove the screws from the MIP tools because they are so tight and like that they're magnetized.
I thought MIP would regrind if they wore down?
I'm very happy with the MIP speed bits and the orange handled ones so far at a maybe year old.
In my on-location box I have these that I bought in April 2017 and after using thread lock to keep the grubs in, they're still good and were dirt cheap at $12.99.

I still have to physically remove the screws from the MIP tools because they are so tight and like that they're magnetized.
I thought MIP would regrind if they wore down?
I'm very happy with the MIP speed bits and the orange handled ones so far at a maybe year old.
In my on-location box I have these that I bought in April 2017 and after using thread lock to keep the grubs in, they're still good and were dirt cheap at $12.99.
I don't get it, it started out nice but it slowly got worse and worse and now it's pretty much rounded off.

And yup that's the set I've been looking at.

Here's what I found for warranty. Not at all what I'd hoped. ? If it doesn't include shipping, not worth it. Now, one thing to consider: would MIP be too busy to regrind and just replace the products? This could be better if so.

1571279392464.png

My MIP speed bits last quite a few years. Any tool is going to wear eventually, if it's too hard, it's likely brittle and will break on you. So far, I've used Team Losi, Hudy, Integy, OFNA, MIP and PB Swiss. Most in 1/4" speed bit form. I haven't really used the PBSwiss stuff much, just have them in my field bag. They do seem very hard and fit well, just wish they were 4-5" vs 2-3" bits. So far, the MIP's and Losi's lasted the longest. The OFNA's and Hudy's were the shortest lived.

I usually touch the tip up on my MIP's every year or so with a dremel. Take half a mm or so off and it's sharp again. I've done the same on the Losi's.

I got the MIP 4 bit set (1.5,2,2.5,3) from my wife back in 2012 for Christmas. 7+ years isn't too bad for a allen wrench! I broke the 2.5mm recently when it fell off my workbench while in my driver, shattered it.

I've had the Losi hand wrenches for 15+ years. I broke the 1.5mm many years ago and had to replace the tip. Before I got the 1/4" stuff, I used to take the losi's out of the handle and chuck them in a drill. I've drilled/retapped the set screw in the 2, 2.5, 3 at least twice on each. Kind of looking like swiss cheese now.

I have the MIP 2mm, 2.5mm speed driver bits, had them about 3-4 months so far they've been awesome..!!

Was thinking about getting more MIP but as we all know the cost is well....?
So now I use a lot of Turnigy ones with replaceable tips..?? https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-v2-series-metric-hex-drive-set.html

Had some Arrowmax ones after somebody recommended them to me, what a pile of ???? they were..?
I broke the tip clean off of a 1.5mm and rounded a 2mm in the space of a couple of days of having them..!!

I thought they had a lifetime warranty?

I thought they had a lifetime warranty?
So did I. It costs $10 US in the US and $15 US outside the US to use the warranty. I sent them clear photos of the tip and what it was doing to some of the screws. They told me to just shave off a bit. Worked for a bit, but still not like new. I don't expect anything to last forever, but I've bought complete 20 piece sets for the same money as two MIP drivers. The Dynamite are less expensive, have replaceable tips and seem to be working out ok.

My EDS bits are beginning to show wear, especially the 2.0mm. I will for sure order the same as a replacement. It has lasted well over a year of constant use. Very reasonable to expect them to wear out at some point.

So did I. It costs $10 US in the US and $15 US outside the US to use the warranty. I sent them clear photos of the tip and what it was doing to some of the screws. They told me to just shave off a bit. Worked for a bit, but still not like new. I don't expect anything to last forever, but I've bought complete 20 piece sets for the same money as two MIP drivers. The Dynamite are less expensive, have replaceable tips and seem to be working out ok.
Dissatisfied with now knowing that it costs 10 bucks....
Lame.

I will look into Dynamite when these wear out.
I'll also ask my dude at the hobby shop. He swore these would be the last I would buy and under lifetime warranty ect.... gotta at least give him a little $hit if this is the case. ?

I can't find the tips anywhere for the dynamite set.
Dissatisfied with now knowing that it costs 10 bucks....

Lame.

I will look into Dynamite when these wear out.
I'll also ask my dude at the hobby shop. He swore these would be the last I would buy and under lifetime warranty ect.... gotta at least give him a little $hit if this is the case. ?

My dynamite set didn't last 6 months.

I can't find the tips anywhere for the dynamite set.

My dynamite set didn't last 6 months.
My lhs carries them in stock. My 2.5 mm Dynamite is my first driver from 2017. I bought the first MIP 2 mm soon after I got the Notorious, around Christmas 2018 and the 2.5 mm soon after that. The 2mm started to fail around the summer. I bought the 2 mm Dynamite around that time, so now we will see which of these drivers actually lasts.

My lhs carries them in stock. My 2.5 mm Dynamite is my first driver from 2017. I bought the first MIP 2 mm soon after I got the Notorious, around Christmas 2018 and the 2.5 mm soon after that. The 2mm started to fail around the summer. I bought the 2 mm Dynamite around that time, so now we will see which of these drivers actually lasts.
My LHS carries some weird brand that I have never heard of before and they are expensive.

Don’t know why I let myself struggle with inferior tools for so long. These mip wrench’s are second to none.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back