Cheap tools vs MIP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol my 2mm is a nightmare it has like 4 times more play than the cheap drivers in your video or my ecrews are just junk lol

This is super unfortunate and makes me wonder if their quality has gone downhill. My speed bits are a decade old and they are still the best grabbing bit I own. I have the dynamite set of hand drivers and they are ok for general use but you cant use then if you need something really tight.

This is super unfortunate and makes me wonder if their quality has gone downhill. My speed bits are a decade old and they are still the best grabbing bit I own. I have the dynamite set of hand drivers and they are ok for general use but you cant use then if you need something really tight.
I don't want to buy the mip driver just because the shaft is just not long enough so im looking at the protek trutorque sl from amainhobbies but i have 6$ of shipping making it 50% more expensive than the mip

I don't want to buy the mip driver just because the shaft is just not long enough so im looking at the protek trutorque sl from amainhobbies but i have 6$ of shipping making it 50% more expensive than the mip
Try the Neweer set on Amazon. https://www.amazon.ca/Neewer®Titanium-Nitride-Driver-Wrench-Piece/dp/B00CP2GGBI/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=neewer+hex+set&qid=1582476714&sr=8-1

I recently started using them and so for the only issue I had is the set screws do not have any thread lock on them so you must add some. A few other members on here have them as well.

Try the Neweer set on Amazon. https://www.amazon.ca/Neewer®Titanium-Nitride-Driver-Wrench-Piece/dp/B00CP2GGBI/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=neewer+hex+set&qid=1582476714&sr=8-1

I recently started using them and so for the only issue I had is the set screws do not have any thread lock on them so you must add some. A few other members on here have them as well.
Its what i bought 5-6 months ago the 1.5mm stripped one motor screw the forst time i used it and i snaped the tip the 2mm was fine but now the end is worn and i need to grind it but don't have any tool for doing that the 2.5mm is fine

Its what i bought 5-6 months ago the 1.5mm stripped one motor screw the forst time i used it and i snaped the tip the 2mm was fine but now the end is worn and i need to grind it but don't have any tool for doing that the 2.5mm is fine
Ah gotcha.
Every tool set I have the 1.5 and 2 go to crap and nothing wrong with the 2.5 I have 3 or 4 of them laying around now.

yeah 1.5 and 2 have busted on most of my sets (even the ti ones) All except a Specialized set originally for my bike and a Stanley fold out set from Walmart. I can torque those until the whole thing is twisted and they never break. Now I just use them to break threadlock and my regular drivers or electric to remove the rest of the way.

I'm in the process of switching all mine over to MIP. I've tried several other brands and so far they start stripping screws after about 4 months of use. Yeah MIP costs twice as much as most on the market, but I'll be buying replacements less often. You get what you pay for.
I know I'll get looked down upon for for posting this, but I've gotten away with a low budget Titanium Nitride TiNi Hex Driver Wrench Tool 4 Piece Set 1.5mm/2mm/2.5mm/3.0mm (pictured below). I picked them up from eBay for under $10. The only thing I didn't like about them was the handle's edges hurt my hands when doing a lot of wrenching. The tips are used in a different (Integy) handles now, and original handles were put in the trash. They low budget hex driver set has survived a couple of kit builds (RC8.2e & Yeti) and a couple years of doing weekly/daily RC maintenance.

I needed .05, 1/16, 3/32, 5/64 sizes for my older RCs. So, I got my Integy C22301 driver set that I love. Not sure if Integy is still using quality steel like back in the early 90's, but the new set seems to be holding up well through a couple of kit builds and weekly/daily maintenance. Heck, I'm still using my Integy allen wrenches that I purchased in the early 90's.

If you want the best..https://www.ebay.com/itm/MIP-Thorp-...lPaddedFlatRateEnvelope!17889!US!-1:rk:1:pf:0
I may find a MIP set in my pit box someday, but for now I'm happy with my low budget picks so far. Possibly EDS tips could be used to chuck in a hand screwdriver/drill. I've been using a $4.89 "cheap" set for two years now with great results...

View attachment 27761

My son has something similar in his pit bag. Those edges are like dull knives, I always feel like it might cut me.

I got tired of stripping screws and purchased MIP wrenches after owning the Dynamite set.
When I came over to Arrma and got the V4 Kraton I was able to tear it down and remove the dreaded pinion set screw with out heat!
It took nearly all the strength I had, but got that screw out. Honestly I have never stripped a hex since purchasing MIP!!!!!
Well worth the extra cost in my eyes!

Thank you for that. I was going to replace the shafts on my dynamite hex. Not now,MIP will replace dynamite! 16 years old.

Thank you for that. I was going to replace the shafts on my dynamite hex. Not now,MIP will replace dynamite! 16 years old.
My 2mm MIP has since stripped out and is worse than the red handled Dynamite one.

The Thorp yellow handled one. @Notorious J had the same thing happen to his.
It’s surprising that you could strip a handled driver. Especially one with the brand reputation MIP carries. I recently bout their 2.0mm speed bit and it is a bit tighter than my other bits. I’m hoping it holds up for the price. ??

The Thorp yellow handled one. @Notorious J had the same thing happen to his.
It’s surprising that you could strip a handled driver. Especially one with the brand reputation MIP carries. I recently bout their 2.0mm speed bit and it is a bit tighter than my other bits. I’m hoping it holds up for the price. ??
I still use my MIP 2mm, but I try to grind it just a touch if I know I'm going to be doing a lot of work in one sitting. I don't have much room to do this before it becomes unusable. Because of the expense to ship it back to MIP, having them do a full grind is out of the question. My 1.5 and 2.5 are still flawless, so I may bite the bullet and replace the 2mm when mine no longer can do the job. I like the grip of the handle a lot, as it allows me to apply as much torque as I need. Just wish the tip had lasted longer than it did.

I still use my MIP 2mm, but I try to grind it just a touch if I know I'm going to be doing a lot of work in one sitting. I don't have much room to do this before it becomes unusable. Because of the expense to ship it back to MIP, having them do a full grind is out of the question. My 1.5 and 2.5 are still flawless, so I may bite the bullet and replace the 2mm when mine no longer can do the job. I like the grip of the handle a lot, as it allows me to apply as much torque as I need. Just wish the tip had lasted longer than it did.
Me too, I was really disappointed when I first started to notice it rounding off. I tried to grind mine down but there wasn't much there to grind. I actually ground down the red handled Dynamite, since it has a good 3-4 mm of tip to work with and was using that before I picked up the Neweer set.

I got tired of stripping screws and purchased MIP wrenches after owning the Dynamite set.
When I came over to Arrma and got the V4 Kraton I was able to tear it down and remove the dreaded pinion set screw with out heat!
It took nearly all the strength I had, but got that screw out. Honestly I have never stripped a hex since purchasing MIP!!!!!
Well worth the extra cost in my eyes!
The MIP's are so hard that they will strip out SS screws very easily. Not a big fan of SS in general.

I've been using this Ebay special for years and many vehicles, never had a problem with them. I like the colors so I can easily identify them.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20200221-083851_eBay.jpg
    SmartSelect_20200221-083851_eBay.jpg
    313.6 KB · Views: 60
I've been using this Ebay special for years and many vehicles, never had a problem with them. I like the colors so I can easily identify them.
That’s the same as the Neewer branded ones on Amazon that I have as well. Working good so far. ??

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back