Cheap torch recommendation please.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sledgehog

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Talion
Just need a cheap butane torch to heat up stubborn loctite parts and general rc use. Something that would fit in my toolbox would be helpful also. Any recommendations that you guys have actually used before and will do the job without exploding on me. :D Thanks.

Was looking for a "pencil type" that would go right in my rc box but i can't seem to find one with reliable reviews. Anyone have one of those they use and trust?
Otherwise I'll prob grab that Bernzomatic one as my local Home Depot actually has them in stock. It would cost me just as much for the HarborFreight one after shipping, but thanks for the suggestion ;)

Was looking for a "pencil type" that would go right in my rc box but i can't seem to find one with reliable reviews. Anyone have one of those they use and trust?
Otherwise I'll prob grab that Bernzomatic one as my local Home Depot actually has them in stock. It would cost me just as much for the HarborFreight one after shipping, but thanks for the suggestion ;)

There are a bunch here cheap and while I use the Harbor Freight one, I wouldn't hesitate to choose one of these. Even a kitchen torch would be great and they are no less hot or dependable. Some even with pretty good reviews Prime shipped for $10.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=small+bu...187f4070fc64d&language=en_US&ref_=as_li_ss_tl

I want something I can take to the track with me in my rc box that doesn't have to be plugged in. There's no power at the outdoor dirt track I go to and the less I have to bug someone for use of their generator charger, the better. I always bring enough batteries charged before I go to avoid that as it is. ;)

I had a Radio Shack pencil type torch years ago. It was hard to light, and blew out easy. The one I have now has a much bigger flame, easier to light, and stays lit better. My HF torch does not have that soldering attachment, that would be neat.

This one is really good. I got one. Works great. Your local Lowe's has them.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/BernzOmatic-Trigger-Start-3-in-1-Micro-Torch-Handheld-Head/50126413
I have the Bernzo too, and it's great on the bench. I think he's looking for something a little more compact.
I want something I can take to the track with me in my rc box that doesn't have to be plugged in. There's no power at the outdoor dirt track I go to and the less I have to bug someone for use of their generator charger, the better. I always bring enough batteries charged before I go to avoid that as it is. ;)
There's a few in the @crimsonfancy link that attach to the top of a butane can. That would allow you to put the torch in the box, and throw the can in a bag. Seems like a decent compromise since you have to buy and carry a can of butane either way.

yeah I had already looked at some of the ones on Amazon before Crimson even linked them but I'd like a recommendation of one that someone actually uses. You can't go by reviews on amazon as:
1) Too many people get free items in exchange for a good review
2) half the people who give bad reviews don't even know how to use the product properly
3) some of the reviews aren't even for the correct product listed

I'll prob end up just picking up that Bernzo one as many have suggested it and I'll just have to find a place for it in my bag somewhere :)

yeah I had already looked at some of the ones on Amazon before Crimson even linked them but I'd like a recommendation of one that someone actually uses. You can't go by reviews on amazon as:
1) Too many people get free items in exchange for a good review
2) half the people who give bad reviews don't even know how to use the product properly
3) some of the reviews aren't even for the correct product listed

I'll prob end up just picking up that Bernzo one as many have suggested it and I'll just have to find a place for it in my bag somewhere :)
The Bernzo isn't that big. It'll fit in your bag. And spare cans of butane are capped, but just be careful keeping thay in your bag. And those cans aren't that big either.
The Bernzo isn't that big. It'll fit in your bag. And spare cans of butane are capped, but just be careful keeping thay in your bag. And those cans aren't that big either.
*that

I keep reading reviews of that bernzo having lighting element issues after a while on numerous sites now. Any of you guys have that issue and need to light it with an external source?

Like any tool with a heating element, if you leave it on too long the extreme temperature will destroy it. Heat guns, soldering irons, certain welders, even stoves, & especially torches. all have this issue. Just put it out when it's not immediately in use. It's safer, will last longer, & it's common sense - but you know what they say about that ;)

Like any tool with a heating element, if you leave it on too long the extreme temperature will destroy it. Heat guns, soldering irons, certain welders, even stoves, & especially torches. all have this issue. Just put it out when it's not immediately in use. It's safer, will last longer, & it's common sense - but you know what they say about that ;)
@Megasty Common sense ain't so common my friend ??

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back