Check out these motor/pinion combos

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freelander

Frankenstein 3S
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. BigRock 4x4
  3. Granite
  4. Typhon 3s
20220420_104952.jpg
20220420_104956.jpg
20220420_105001.jpg

These beasts are like 200 hp each

It took seven to turn the 200,000 lb cutter head on the TBM.

We broke pinion gears on start up last year.

What are they for?????
A tunnel boring machine
It is a big effing tunnel. 8.5 meter diameter. Like I said the cutter head weighs 100 short tons and is mashed against rock by about 20 massive hydraulic cylinders developing hundreds of thousands of psi.

My electrician buddy says these are 600 Amp 350 KiloWatt motors. I have no fiddlesticking idea what that translates to on our terms.

They weigh 6000+ lbs each.

We fed the TBM something like 13,000 volts and had separate transformers for each of these seven motors.

That same power ran a ludicrous amount of other poop like hydraulic pumps and so on.

These motors were water cooled.

New they cost 100,000£ (euros) each.

Last edited:
So get this: the pinions supplied were *cast iron*. I don't know what engineer signed off on that but two of them cracked as soon as we started those motors.

Major deal.

Metal in the gear oil.

Total disaster.

They even made a tv show about us.

Btw. The host was a fiddlesticking pest and nearly got knocked the fiddlestick out several times. He's a stupid fiddlesticking cunt who knows nothing and contributed nothing. That annoying LARPer is fake as fiddlestick.

But yeah. That's what I do to support my family and pay for toys for my boy and I. The company I work for is fiddlesticked up but pretty great. So far we dug 3.5km under a lake and no major injuries or deaths. That's an accomplishment. Tunnel projects usually budget one death per kilometer. We got some great crew. The best. Smart guys. We also got some good supervisors that don't give a fiddlestick about cost or time and provide the best of the best of safety gear. I mean they buy us 300 dollar rain boots for god's sakes. (But I mean working underground you better be buying me some good goddamn boots but still. . . Above and beyond)

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back