Typhon Check your bearings after hard crash!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HZRDOS

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 4s
  2. Outcast 4s
  3. Outcast EXB
  4. Talion EXB
Some may already do this, but if you have a bad crash that breaks some parts...CHECK YOUR BEARINGS!

After my crash on Sat, while breaking everything down and checking...2 bearings were shot. Think the impact flattened some of the balls, they both felt like the balls had flat spots.

One was an axle bearing on the front that took the hit, the other was center diff rear output cup bearing. Motor mount bent some, and when checking the diff, found the bearing was really rough. Lucky I had both spares (actually same size bearing).

Just an FYI.

i've replaced all the bearings in my kraton with fast freddy bearings about a month or so ago. while waiting on parts I decided to check bearings. this hasn't been crashed. i had 3 wheel bearings that were all but froze up and the rest were gritty as all heck. so this is another maintenance item on my checklist now to check on more often.

I don't know what you hit but I have a hard time believing it was hard enough to flatten a hardened steel ball. More than likely is it was worn down before the crash...
Clipped a concrete parking island with left front at about 60mph. Chassis was so bent only 3 wheels were touching the ground after. I am sure they were fine before (well at least the axle bearing for sure...you could feel it when you spin the tires)
And really don't know for sure if that is the issue...but it feels like it when spinning the bearing.

Clipped a concrete parking island with left front at about 60mph. Chassis was so bent only 3 wheels were touching the ground after. I am sure they were fine before (well at least the axle bearing for sure...you could feel it when you spin the tires)
And really don't know for sure if that is the issue...but it feels like it when spinning the bearing.
you can hit those balls with a hammer and not make a flat spot. (well you could if u smacked it with a big enough one) Can you actually see a flat spot or assuming one is there? What you could have done is knocked the race out of alignment but making a flat spot even in that bad of a crash is highly unlikely. We are talking about a lot of force to flatten a tiny 1/8 inch hardened steel ball in a protected steel ring that's inside flexible plastic. There is a lot of material taking up the force before it reaches the bearings especially the balls (insert joke).

The races of the bearing also get damaged. With hard impacts. Wear gets the best of them. Then they got loose in between the races. So when you get an impact it blows the Balls out of the cage and its races.
The inner wheel hub bearings are the weakest IMHO.

After a crash or just anytime at all. I had a partial tear down recently and was just checking all the bearings only to find one of the main driveshaft bearings was completely frozen up. The driveshaft had been spinning in the bearing. Luckily I have a bag of fast Eddie's so I just swapped it out

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back