Senton Chewing on spur gears

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone know of better spur gears than the stock ones I eat these suckers up 1 about every 8 batteries,yes I make sure the gears are meshed well and that the screws are tight,or is it just that it is normal to wear them out that fast I do not bash it I only race grass and sand courses,stock motor and stock pinion as well

Get the metal spur/slipper setup. I would suspect it is the sand eating them. There are also threads about sealing off the motor mount to stop sand and dirt from getting inside.
Did not know there was such a thing thank you and yes only thing I can come up with is the sand it does live there most of time

did you reset the slipper properly? they're too tight out of the box. also, the motor plate bends relatively easily and can cause this

I'd suggest if you run in sand that often to cut a slit in the chassis under the spur gear. It will allow all the sand and debris to fall out over getting trapped inside and eating away your gears. I went to metal spur and added the slot in chassis 8+ months ago and haven't had a single issue at all since.

i tore through a spur gear because my mesh was too loose, i now use paper in between the pinion and spur gear. my slipper was also too tight out of the box

I'd assume your motor mount is bent or sand is getting in. My stock Mega Spur gear lasted me a month and a half on brushless so far, maybe I'm just lucky, but I believe it's plenty durable when kept properly clean

i went through 2 spurs and most recently the spur went along with the motor bearings. found the motor plate to also be bent. It basically grenaded everything.

New motor, motor mount, motor bearings, spur, pinon, all on the way. Most of what i could from Jennysrc of course. my motor has been a paint to get in and out from day one so I don't want to try the tap method to seal it. I plan on cutting the slot in the chassis to allow debris to fall out the bottom.

Last edited:
Agree with all above. The dirt and sand also will get into the motor and cause the bearings to wear early. I have a motor right now that clicks a little left and right. Can’t get the rotor out to replace the bearing. Looks like rubber mallet time. Might not be a bad idea to slap some tape over the top motor opening. Not sure how the dirt gets into the motor............

Also here's the pinion that I ran the last 8+ months with the metal spur and slit in chassis on left, still looks almost brand new and hardly any wear over the one on right is with plastic spur for maybe 3 months and no slit it is all worn down
IMG_20210513_084615723.jpg

i went through 2 spurs and most recently the spur went along with the motor bearings. found the motor plate to also be bent. It basically grenaded everything.

New motor, motor mount, motor bearings, spur, pinon, all on the way. Most of what i could from Jennysrc of course. my motor has been a paint to get in and out from day one so I don't want to try the tap method to seal it. I plan on cutting the slot in the chassis to allow debris to fall out the bottom.
If your motor plate is bent that's the reason you are destroying spur gears. I'm sure The sand doesn't help but a bent motor plate will eat up plastic spur gears in no time.

did you reset the slipper properly? they're too tight out of the box. also, the motor plate bends relatively easily and can cause this
I actually foundlast nite that the motor plate is bent so you arecorrect goodcall
Also here's the pinion that I ran the last 8+ months with the metal spur and slit in chassis on left, still looks almost brand new and hardly any wear over the one on right is with plastic spur for maybe 3 months and no slit it is all worn down View attachment 145428
Ya wouldnt think these things would be that susceptible to sand damage but I guess they are
If your motor plate is bent that's the reason you are destroying spur gears. I'm sure The sand doesn't help but a bent motor plate will eat up plastic spur gears in no time.
She is bent for sure I ordered another,tried hammering the bent one didnt do much good lol

You can hammer it straight and it will be ok temporarily. But once it bends and gets straightened out the metal gets weak and bends even easier. Definitely get a new one but straighten it and run it til the new one comes in.

Also here's the pinion that I ran the last 8+ months with the metal spur and slit in chassis on left, still looks almost brand new and hardly any wear over the one on right is with plastic spur for maybe 3 months and no slit it is all worn down View attachment 145428
What metal spur did you go with? I have seen the 4s spur way, Arrma, or HR.

You can hammer it straight and it will be ok temporarily. But once it bends and gets straightened out the metal gets weak and bends even easier. Definitely get a new one but straighten it and run it til the new one comes in.
That'smy thought exactly

When buying a new plate get the HR one, it’s stronger than the stock one. Or buy m2c if you got $$$.

What metal spur did you go with? I have seen the 4s spur way, Arrma, or HR.
Just the Arrma steel 4s spur and added the extra slipper pad. Also I run the HR aluminum motor plate and haven't had it bend yetđź‘Ť

I'd suggest if you run in sand that often to cut a slit in the chassis under the spur gear. It will allow all the sand and debris to fall out over getting trapped inside and eating away your gears. I went to metal spur and added the slot in chassis 8+ months ago and haven't had a single issue at all since.
Pix?

Back