China copied my mounts! 😳.. I guess I should be flattered? 🤣

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you have a patent or equal? If not you cant do anything. Even if you made the first one.

Do you have a patent or equal? If not you cant do anything. Even if you made the first one.

It's honestly irrelevant, even if a patent was held here in the USA, there is nothing that is worth being done.. The costs of such a case would be astronomical..

Also let's be honest, it would be a repeated procedure, it would be copied again and again.. Not worth my time, effort, or money..

All that counts is we know who designed them.. nothing else matters..😎

I'm not going to go as far as to call this thread racist, but there's certainly quite a bit of western snobbery and unwarranted moral superiority going on. Not from Camaroboy, but from many of the replies.

Allowing competitors to take a product, improve upon it and/or sell it at a cheaper price is usually more of a benefit to society than giving a single entity exclusive rights to monopolize. FOR THE VAST MAJORITY OF THINGS THIS IS WHAT WESTERN LAW RECOGNIZES AND ALLOWS. Western patent law grants very narrow exceptions. So please get off your Western superiority kick.

For any asset or an invention to qualify for a patent, it must meet three basic requirements:
  • It must be new
  • It must be not obvious
  • It must be useful
Absolutely no disrespect intended, but Camaroboy's fan mounts would not be patentable. It is one of many fan mount designs, none of which are patentable. Any western company is also free to copy such designs. So phrases like "stealing" and "that's how the Chinese are" in this thread are distasteful and don't recognize it's no different in the West.

For example. M2C Racing's 17mm hex adapters for the 3s line are basically the same design as Hot Racing. I don't see anyone getting upset about an American company copying the Chinese or calling it stealing.

Copying others and finding ways to do it better/less expensively is how every product/process in this world is improved. Stradivarius did not invent the violin, nor could he patent his violins. Others are free to try to copy him. I remember the first flat screen TV cost like $12,000. Then everyone else copied it, improved it, and made it less expensive. Which is why everyone reading this can afford one now. (Any CRT's out there?) Your fork, your bed, your socks are all improved, less expensive copies of the unpatented originals.

Last edited:
A person or entity's "rights" to a product design extend as far as their money to defend them goes. @Camaroboy383 can ask them to cease and desist, but he knows which side of the border he's on. Luckily for him, it's more flattering and entertaining than anything. I copy products that I can make on my mill and lathe, but I'm off by miles if I think I'd make a profit selling them. I work a salaried job, so my free time is not for sale. Instead, I just enjoy the process of making and using my own parts. Camaroboy383 has been making a product available to us that previously didn't exist, he improved it by adding a brace in the middle to support the fan motor. That's pretty cool, and someone in China with a router setup thought so too. Show your support by not shipping international if you need one.

No matter how much money Camaroboy spent, any attempt to legally protect his fan mount would fail. The law simply doesn't protect it. One pizza place can't prevent another pizza place from selling pizza (even if you stole their secret sauce). It doesn't matter if you're from China, the US or Italy.

What is considered "new" and "not obvious" is hard to satisfy under patent law. Just take a look at the RC industry in general. WLToys (and other companies) are direct copies of LC Racing's design with cheaper parts and a cheaper price. There is no legal case. LC Racing's design is not "new" and "not obvious" to begin with.

Last edited:
I'm not as worried about them copying his design, as I am them using lesser quality materials to "Improve" his product. Not seeing one in person, This may not be the case, but in general, the mass produced knock offs have been inferior in my experience. I have one of the @Camaroboy383 mounts and it is top notch.

No matter how much money Camaroboy spent, any attempt to legally protect his fan mount would fail. The law simply doesn't protect it. One pizza place can't prevent another pizza place from selling pizza (even if you stole their secret sauce). It doesn't matter if you're from China, the US or Italy.

What is considered "new" and "not obvious" is hard to satisfy under patent law. Just take a look at the RC industry in general. WLToys (and other companies) are direct copies of LC Racing's design with cheaper parts and a cheaper price. There is no legal case. LC Racing's design is not "new" and "not obvious" to begin with.

Well, I certainly hope this thread hasn't turned this way, or is interpreted that way..

I'll be the first to admit that I was humbled and flattered my design out of many others made the cut for Thier production.. I just hope the aluminum used is decent for Thier benefit..

I, just like @Monster Dork have limited actual free time.. But I do thoroughly enjoy designing and making things that are useful.. But to share those things puts it over the top for me.. it's a labor of love..😁

Copying things as you said, is just how things evolve.. The bottom line is I, on a personal level am not offended, I chuckle about how it takes 2 minutes to change the shape in the center and carry on.. That being said, if I have to make something similar that already exists, I will change the shape out of respect for the designer.. But I also know not all people show respect regardless of where they are from..

I have worked on many patents over the years for others, I'm very aware of how it all works down to the fine details.. Hence why I've never patented any of my designs or products I make for fun and to help the rc community..👍

The purpose of this thread was to inform, not offend..✌️

2q1gqy.jpg

Anywho.. If I'm ever lookin for a fan mount, I'll hit ya up CB383!

Well, I certainly hope this thread hasn't turned this way, or is interpreted that way..✌️
That's why I made sure to point out that you didn't do anything negative. Sorry about the sidetrack. Some of the replies just rubbed me the wrong way. It certainly is a complement that out of all designs, someone chose yours as the best.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back