Kraton Classic question of Kraton exb or blx

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joefishey

Reaction score
Hello, so I am interested in buying a kraton, only question is whether it should be the blx or exb. I've been skimming this forum and much of the advice seems to lean towards exb, but I don't just have spare 1/8 scale power systems laying around as I am returning to this hobby. I was big into this hobby in highschool, but got tired of spending what little money I had fixing the cheap redcats I bought. Now that I've picked it up again as I'm about to graduate college, I've still got those cheap redcats (as well as some small chinese buggies), but I want to get a higher quality vehicle with better parts support, hence the kraton. I've been learning that you really get what you pay for, so I'd probably get a max6 combo for the exb, with another $70-90 spent on servo and remote, but my hesitation comes from the concern that it will be faster than my current skill (fastest car currently is a 3s mt). My other question is basically, are the stock electronics really as bad as people say, or are they just fine for someone's 1st 6s rig?

Everyone is saying this! so its really that much better?
Yup
Jim Carrey Alrighty Then GIF by Ace Ventura

Yes. We wouldn't all be recommending it to you if it wasn't. :)
The diffs (in particular the ring & pinion gear teeth) are a lot more robust than what you get on the BLX. Thicker shock towers, better bumper and a couple of other things that just make it the better vehicle. It's not unbreakable but...all in all it can take a pretty serious licking and keep on ticking.

Yes. We wouldn't all be recommending it to you if it wasn't. :)
The diffs (in particular the ring & pinion gear teeth) are a lot more robust than what you get on the BLX. Thicker shock towers, better bumper and a couple of other things that just make it the better vehicle. It's not unbreakable but...all in all it can take a pretty serious licking and keep on ticking.
This is super helpful, thank you!

If you're jumping it more than 10 feet high, yes EXB. If you know how to drive and keep it lower, the regular is fine.

I agree with all of them, but Razor hit it the best. You never stated your bash style but agreed to how you do bash in one post above.

Cost more coins for the EXB but if you are going to upgrade parts here you go...EXB

My brother has the BLX I have the EXB. He is fine with the BLX he knows his level of bash and style. The stock motor does great for him...it is fast but he is not going to the moon and he is more of a weekend basher only.

Comes down to your taste and $$$

I agree with all of them, but Razor hit it the best. You never stated your bash style but agreed to how you do bash in one post above.

Cost more coins for the EXB but if you are going to upgrade parts here you go...EXB

My brother has the BLX I have the EXB. He is fine with the BLX he knows his level of bash and style. The stock motor does great for him...it is fast but he is not going to the moon and he is more of a weekend basher only.

Comes down to your taste and $$$
I'd estimate I'm on the more conservative side of bashing, mostly b/c I've got redcats rn that can't take much abuse. Setting that aside, I'd like to be able to hand this off to others, maybe only on 4s, and rely on it being durable. I've also just heard the stock electronics don't last long, maybe I'm wrong though and they would be just fine.

I'd estimate I'm on the more conservative side of bashing, mostly b/c I've got redcats rn that can't take much abuse. Setting that aside, I'd like to be able to hand this off to others, maybe only on 4s, and rely on it being durable. I've also just heard the stock electronics don't last long, maybe I'm wrong though and they would be just fine.
Hit or miss on the Spektrum stuff....

Hit or miss on the Spektrum stuff....
The esc is surviving getting burried in snow so far. 3 hours of it so far. Last winter throttle was acting up and refusing to move if the car came to a stop. Was using a snow net that year not this year. I lost it lol. Was expecting to die so i could claim warranty for a new one. The brakes was glitching today once or twice
You want a beast or another redcat? The rtr is fine if u don't really jump otherwise the diffs explode unless you do mods on it, do a lot of research and enjoy to play with sticky water and fry money into it. Chassis going to be fine unless you go crazy, the chassi brace will break and bend the chassis. The top chassis brace is going to bend ur chassis like a reverse V. I run all of my bashers without it because it caused my chassis to slightly bend. The ackerman plate will go byebye on ur first good tumble, the shock towers are durable enough. The main selling point of the exb is the bulletproof diff internals, more reliable chassis, better frontal shock protection(who can be bought separately and direct bolt on) ,the metal chassis braces And stronger Ackerman plate

Last edited:
The esc is surviving getting burried in snow so far. 3 hours of it so far. Last winter throttle was acting up and refusing to move if the car came to a stop. Was using a snow net that year not this year. I lost it lol. Was expecting to die so i could claim warranty for a new one. The brakes was glitching today once or twice

You want a beast or another redcat? The rtr is fine if u don't really jump otherwise the diffs explode unless you do mods on it, do a lot of research and enjoy to play with sticky water and fry money into it. Chassis going to be fine unless you go crazy, the chassi brace will break and bend the chassis. The top chassis brace is going to bend ur chassis like a reverse V. I run all of my bashers without it because it caused my chassis to slightly bend. The ackerman plate will go byebye on ur first good tumble, the shock towers are durable enough. The main selling point of the exb is the bulletproof diff internals, more reliable chassis, better frontal shock protection(who can be bought separately and direct bolt on) ,the metal chassis braces And stronger Ackerman plate
you don't use the chasis brace?

This is one person's experience. All of my Arrmas are BLX/RTR with minor upgrades and I have not had any of those issues and I've beat the hell out them, especially my Noto6s. All Spektrum electronics so far and no issues.

Yes, the EXB is a better choice for it's durability, but ain't nothing wrong with the BLX RTRs. 👍 😁✌️

This is one person's experience. All of my Arrmas are BLX/RTR with minor upgrades and I have not had any of those issues and I've beat the hell out them, especially my Noto6s. All Spektrum electronics so far and no issues.

Yes, the EXB is a better choice for it's durability, but ain't nothing wrong with the BLX RTRs. 👍 😁✌️
I did put an rtr diff in the front of my exb when i was waiting for the rear diff from horizonhobby. Chewed two teeths. The outdrive pin holes stretched couldnt remove the outdrives from the hole i had to use an hammer. got a bloody finger while doing it. Because the outdrives were so chewed up that they became a blade. When i got cut i threw ghe whole thing into a bag and sold it with 3 diffs i removed from my notorious and replaced them witb exb day 1.

It had its chance and it failed in every single aspect. It was in the front the doff who is subject to less stress than the other diffs. To fix that mess i would have needed a new crown gear and sun gear m2c outdrives and buy blank drill bits and somehow cut them to size and make them nice and pretty like stock. Those things can take the piss

I build the rtr diff like how rich duperbash builded his so i spent 20$ on the shim kit from mugen seiki. On my exb diffs every sibgle time the outdrives just slide out like butter. Sure i have some p2c for the rear and cebter but not in the front because the fronts still look decent after 2 years be ause again its the diff who is the least stressed out of all 3
The RTR diffs work well on the typhon because smaller tires and lighter car but when you run big tires and heavy truck like the kraton ur in for a wild ride
Like u said its a personnal experience

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back