Clean your bearings for cheap and without expensive chemicals

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surchaufeur

Very Active Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Nero
  4. Notorious
I was searching trough the internet to how protect my hardware from rust without oil or grease. I found a video how to clean bearings with citrus cleaner. Found It interesting i thought it was fake At first ur when i saw manufacturers selling bearing cleaner kits and they included citrus cleaner in the package i was like that cant be a joke.

i hate working on bearings its discusting and messy. I went to the hardware store bought a bottle of citrus cleaer. Took a few diety bearings i had, removed the seals dropped it in a plastic container and sprayed the cleaner in. Shaked it for a few mins and the bearings came out completly clean it completly ate the grease no residu. No more wd40 nomore poopy expensive chemical to clean bearings. Be sure to Rince them with water and dry them completely or they will rust. Your hands wont die in the process too.
6525DAF5-5FCD-4997-B47A-C17159398CCB.jpeg
7E0DD0E0-D4ED-4841-80D9-EC83AC94A011.jpeg
580F222B-4981-47CC-9682-59488C69C6B8.jpeg
052218E4-F7C0-4306-8F97-BE2ADB485E96.jpeg
98D68689-8FF0-4CBE-AC94-8992759D73C0.jpeg
18EA8D79-FC8D-4D26-B9F3-D31B5FE443F0.jpeg
E0EBBB74-3828-45BA-989B-35D1E576DCFD.jpeg
62CCF0FB-A18D-4EA8-8AF9-1BD5D44783B0.jpeg

Also tried on diff oil opened the v4 diff i had and it insured me because the dam outdrives disnt want to come out. The end got streched because of the pin i can see why the internels of the v4 diffs are so weak its a design flaw. I had to use pliers and extreme force. The cleaner doesn't dissolve silicone oil at all don't try it made a disgusting mess.

Did you use any particular citrus cleaner? Or just the first thing you saw at the store that said citrus cleaner on it?
Its the citrus oil who eats the grease. Thats why any kind of real citrus cleaner will work.
5245D4A7-D849-42E8-B482-55B5BC2DCBA1.png

This is the one i got
E8E66AB3-7A4A-42CA-B6E3-FAEE39969E99.jpeg
i think its just different labels

Do the newer and supposedly improved rubber shielded sealed bearings ever need any maintenance? thanks

Bearing shaker bottles... place a bearing between each nylon nut and put wing nut on and shake away... cleans them in 30 sec. Just blow them out,couple drops of oil and throw the seals back on and presto..
I was searching trough the internet to how protect my hardware from rust without oil or grease. I found a video how to clean bearings with citrus cleaner. Found It interesting i thought it was fake At first ur when i saw manufacturers selling bearing cleaner kits and they included citrus cleaner in the package i was like that cant be a joke.

i hate working on bearings its discusting and messy. I went to the hardware store bought a bottle of citrus cleaer. Took a few diety bearings i had, removed the seals dropped it in a plastic container and sprayed the cleaner in. Shaked it for a few mins and the bearings came out completly clean it completly ate the grease no residu. No more wd40 nomore poopy expensive chemical to clean bearings. Be sure to Rince them with water and dry them completely or they will rust. Your hands wont die in the process too.View attachment 127932View attachment 127933View attachment 127934View attachment 127935View attachment 127936View attachment 127937View attachment 127938View attachment 127939
Also tried on diff oil opened the v4 diff i had and it insured me because the dam outdrives disnt want to come out. The end got streched because of the pin i can see why the internels of the v4 diffs are so weak its a design flaw. I had to use pliers and extreme force. The cleaner doesn't dissolve silicone oil at all don't try it made a disgusting mess.
Naphtha will eat diff oil asap

i hate working on bearings its discusting and messy. I went to the hardware store bought a bottle of citrus cleaer. Took a few diety bearings i had, removed the seals dropped it in a plastic container and sprayed the cleaner in. Shaked it for a few mins and the bearings came out completly clean it completly ate the grease no residu. No more wd40 nomore poopy expensive chemical to clean bearings. Be sure to Rince them with water and dry them completely or they will rust. Your hands wont die in the process too.View attachment 127932View attachment 127933View attachment 127934View attachment 127935View attachment 127936View attachment 127937View attachment 127938View attachment 127939
Yeah Brake Cleaner (Chlorinated) is the best to soak diff gears in.
Many don't like Brake cleaner. Its rough to touch( gloves needed) and the fumes are NO good. Work around that and brake cleaner is fast and quick and least expensive way.
I tried Citrus. You need several applications and more than double the time. Costly in the long run. Citrus is not strong enough IMO. Bearings also.
An ultra sonic bath along with citrus may work better. How I see it. Citrus needs some help/effort to work best.
Brake cleaner gets parts perfectly clean every time real fast. Tried many cleaners before. WD40 needs reapplication also if using that. WD sucks IMO. But is a solvent. FWIW. WD needs to be fully removed from bearings or it breaks down the lube you put back in. Need brake cleaner to remove the WD40. 🤷‍♂️ Wasted effort in cleaning.

Yeah many prefer Citrus. The way you use it is perfect. Rinsed and dried is important. Many don't do that. Or Know that. Citrus doesn't evaporate clean like a brake cleaner does. Citrus doesn't cut it with Silicone oil on diff parts IMO. Tried that also. Can work if you scrub and use a tooth brush. etc. Not quick enough for me.
It works. I tried it. I have much of it here mostly for work on my bicycles (chains)etc. My other hobby.
Citrus is non toxic. A plus. 👍 The dirt and grease and grime is toxic though.

Bearing shaker bottles... place a bearing between each nylon nut and put wing nut on and shake away... cleans them in 30 sec. Just blow them out,couple drops of oil and throw the seals back on and presto..

Naphtha will eat diff oil asap
Yeah but Naphtha smells really bad, I can never seem to get the smell off my diff parts.

Yeah many prefer Citrus. The way you use it is perfect. Rinsed and dried is important. Many don't do that. Or Know that. Citrus doesn't evaporate clean like a brake cleaner does. Citrus doesn't cut it with Silicone oil on diff parts IMO. Tried that also. Can work if you scrub and use a tooth brush. etc. Not quick enough for me.
It works. I tried it. I have much of it here mostly for work on my bicycles (chains)etc. My other hobby.
Citrus is non toxic. A plus. 👍 The dirt and grease and grime is toxic though.
It makes the brush all oily and disgusting. Had to use wd40 to remove the oil out of my brushes
I don't bother diff diff fluid i try to remove the best i can and refill it.

All bearings no batter what if you want them to last will need maintenence. I run trought snow so
My 3s typhon hasn’t seen water, mud, gravel or even dirt yet but that will change as soon as I get her sorted for outdoor racing track duty in Louisiana. So far I’ve only run packs through it on dry streets and my grass yard. It’s still remarkably clean. thanks

My 3s typhon hasn’t seen water, mud, gravel or even dirt yet but that will change as soon as I get her sorted for outdoor racing track duty in Louisiana. So far I’ve only run packs through it on dry streets and my grass yard. It’s still remarkably clean. thanks
Time to change that lol

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back