Clean your bearings for cheap and without expensive chemicals

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It makes the brush all oily and disgusting. Had to use wd40 to remove the oil out of my brushes
I don't bother diff diff fluid i try to remove the best i can and refill it.
I like my diff gears immaculate. I don't wipe them down only. Because rebuilding them is time consuming. Sometimes fine metal gets left in the gear teeth unavoidably and this will ruin a wet dream after its filled and done. Been there. I have gotten lazy and only wiped down my diff gears before.
I have better results with a thorough gear cleaning. Just me. Fresh fluid if i am in there. All old fluid completly gone.

I like my diff gears immaculate. I don't wipe them down only. Because rebuilding them is time consuming. Sometimes fine metal gets left in the gear teeth unavoidably and this will ruin a wet dream after its filled and done. Been there. I have gotten lazy and only wiped down my diff gears before.
I have better results with a thorough gear cleaning. Just me.
Naphtha will take it down to fresh metal. I throw gear parts in a cup and walk away for 5 min. No scrubbing required. They will all be spotless.. it will damage o rings.

Sure Naptha is golden. 👍👍 Basically Concentrated Brake cleaner. Naptha is very rough too. FWIW. But yeah in 30 seconds Silicone oil is stripped away. Dries clean of any dirt just evaporates . O -Rings and most plastics will melt for sure. Only metal parts:LOL:!

Time to change that lol
Your not kidding. I’m itching to get to the track but typhon isn’t just yet. She’ll be track bound as soon as temps stay in 70’s around here, which won’t be long and it rains pretty much every other day as well. I’m just trying to learn as much as I can before breaking anything. I really like the v3 3s typhon and want her to last a good long time before I eventually upgrade with the wife’s permission of course. lol

Sure Naptha is golden. 👍👍 Basically Concentrated Brake cleaner. Naptha is very rough too. FWIW. But yeah in 30 seconds Silicone oil is stripped away. Dries clean of any dirt just evaporates . O -Rings and most plastics will melt for sure. Only metal parts:LOL:!
I put my diff cups in Naphtha all the time it doesn't hurt them any.

^^^ you never felt that they get more brittle and change the plastic color like it is attacking the composite material?
I felt Brake cleaner did that. I was playing it safe. I also felt it caused separation of the metal sleeve in the cup. A common problem.
I usually wipe them out best I can and soak my diff cups in Citrus or any standard degreaser with very hot water, brush them up and rinse. 🤷‍♂️ I but I get them nice and clean. Important like all the parts.

I have better results with a thorough gear cleaning. Just me. Fresh fluid if i am in there. All old fluid completly gone.
Yeah but how u clean the diff cup? Brake cleaner doesn't like plastic
So citrus cleaner can remove a bit of left over oil but with warm water?

Yeah , I find just wiping it out and using any degreaser citrus etc, dawn, and hot water. Brush in the water. Rinse with spray head. Its soaks for a bit.
Wipe dry. 🤷‍♂️ Slick uses Naptha.🤷‍♂️ I guess thats ok too. I tried brake cleaner on the cups early on but felt maybe it caused the metal sleeve to get loose with the plastic. I used to have problems with that. Now no more. 🤷‍♂️ IDK.

Yeah , I find just wiping it out and using any degreaser citrus etc, dawn, and hot water. Brush in the water. Rinse with spray head. Its soaks for a bit.
Wipe dry. 🤷‍♂️ Slick uses Naptha.🤷‍♂️ I guess thats ok too. I tried brake cleaner on the cups early on but felt maybe it caused the metal sleeve to get loose with the plastic. I used to have problems with that. Now no more. 🤷‍♂️ IDK.
I really want to stay away from chemicals. I bought silicone spray for my hardware idk how its going to go

Your not kidding. I’m itching to get to the track but typhon isn’t just yet. She’ll be track bound as soon as temps stay in 70’s around here, which won’t be long and it rains pretty much every other day as well. I’m just trying to learn as much as I can before breaking anything. I really like the v3 3s typhon and want her to last a good long time before I eventually upgrade with the wife’s permission of course. lol
You wont learn much if you don't break anything first.:ROFLMAO:

^^^ you never felt that they get more brittle and change the plastic color like it is attacking the composite material?
I felt Brake cleaner did that. I was playing it safe. I also felt it caused separation of the metal sleeve in the cup. A common problem.
I usually wipe them out best I can and soak my diff cups in Citrus or any standard degreaser with very hot water, brush them up and rinse. 🤷‍♂️ I but I get them nice and clean. Important like all the parts.

I've cleaned diff cases from a bunch of different brands with Naphtha. Traxxas, LC Racing, Arrma, Hot Bodies, HPI, Vaterra, WL Toys and Tekno.

This is actually the last cup I cleaned next to a new one. Old on the left new on the right both Tekno.
20210222_175018.jpg

^^^TY.
I take it you prefer Naptha? No issues. I my try that.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back