Cleaning dog bones and CVD's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bicketybam

Back from vacation!
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Infraction
  4. Kraton 8S
  5. Kraton 6s
  6. Kraton 4s
  7. Mojave
  8. Notorious
  9. Talion
  10. Typhon 6s
What is the best way to clean dog bones, CVD's and axles?

20181101_094640.jpg

It’s pretty hard to find, don’t think it’s made any more, but if you can find some ELbow grease..it’s amazing! You can use it with anything paper towel, rags, toothbrush etc..

??? sorry I’m in a dork mood
lol bro I needed that

What is the best way to clean dog bones, CVD's and axles?

View attachment 23425

If you care to hear my opinion I believe that using a green scothbrite with wd40 works well, if you don't want to use scotchbrite you can use paper towels but will require more "elbow grease"

Those little pins push out so you can get behind the ball and cup.

I think he knows that, i think he just wants a physical cleaning method

scrub with wd40 then wipe clean with paper towels, be careful not to remove black finish on axles

Last edited:
Those little pins push out so you can get behind the ball and cup.

I just didn't get a chance to take them out yet. But thank you.

lol bro I needed that

If you care to hear my opinion I believe that using a green scothbrite with wd40 works well, if you don't want to use scotchbrite you can use paper towels but will require more "elbow grease"
I will give that a whirl. Thank you.

After cleaning hit them up with Teflon bike chain lubricant make sure you get the stuff that says doesn't attract dirt.

I used this
20181101_185042.jpg

I wouldn’t bother cleaning them unless its never going to be driven again

I'm leaning towards your line of thinking. I used WD-40 and a scotchbrite and it really didn't do too much but also they weren't that dirty. I think in the future I will use some Fukitol and call it a day.

I
I'm leaning towards your line of thinking. I used WD-40 and a scotchbrite and it really didn't do too much but also they weren't that dirty. I think in the future I will use some Fukitol and call it a day.

That stuff is amazing, used it quite a bit in the past. It requires zero elbow grease, has no odor and is environmentally friendly. ?

What I normally do is leave the axles installed first and before you tear down take the green pad or paper towel with wd40 on it, turn the car on and give it a little throttle to clean them up polish them. saves you allot of effort. Also you can apply the pad to the exposed ends of the ball side of the CVD and turn steering, do both sides and get most of the CVD ball end at the same time.

while this can be challenging with mud guards in some cases it might aide the process by pulling the shocks out of the way briefly.

Mineral spirits or lacquer thinner are your best bets. If it’s bad dirty and hard to get at, carburetor cleaner in a spay can. Professional auto mechanics know best. Watch the cleaners around plastics though, they can melt them. As far as “environmentaly friendly” goes, we gave up on that with lithium batteries and an unnecessary to our survival hobby.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back