Senton Cleaning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skullystitches

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
I wasn’t sure where to post this. I’ve had my truck since may and I’m not sure how often your supposed to clean the diff, shocks and whatever else may need fluid or grease needs changing. I need help on what to use bc I’ve never done it before. There’s so much out there it seems overwhelming. I jump my truck a good amount If that makes a difference to anything

That thread is about cleaning dirt off the truck, not changing the diff and shock oil.

I think you'll get widely varying opinions on how often you should change oils. Depends on how often you drive and how the car is performing. If you've never done it before, it may be a good time to check. Also, that way you'll know how the truck behaves when filled with clean oil and you'll recognize when it's not performing well.

Arrma's often come from the factory with minimal differential oil. So I would check the differentials. You'll notice the difference when they are fully filled. You'll feel the "thickness" of the oil when spinning the wheels by hand. When you spin one rear wheel, the other rear wheel should spin in the opposite direction smoothly, same with the front wheels.

I've had my truck since March. I recently changed my differential oil. I noticed the wheels were not spinning in opposite directions like they used to. The oil was dirty and broken down. New oil and everything was smooth again.

I also changed the shock oil. But I don't think I had to. I only changed it because I already had the truck taken apart to get to the differentials. The shock oil was not dirty and the shocks were working fine.

I just did a quick search and looks like every few weeks or months is recommended, depending on how often you run the truck. I'd say knowing how the truck behaves when everything is filled and clean is a good guide to know when you need to check.

I also put a little waterproof grease to seal the receiver box and differential housings from dirt and water. But only when I have them opened up. No reason to keep doing it, you'll just break the seal. (This is not the same as filling the differentials with oil). As for everything else, I only lubricate when something's squeaking.

Last edited:
Thank you. I definitely need to give it a good cleaning and oiling. How do you chose the right oil though is the thing? I don’t know what the numbers mean or what the “CS” is

Different weights are for thickness of the oil. I don't know the weight of the stock oils in the Mega. Do a search, I have a feeling you'll be able to find it. Or maybe someone else can help you. For Mega differentials, there's probably no reason to change the stock weight. For shocks, that depends if you want to change how your shocks react.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back