Clear Plastic Ramp?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aametzger

TORTURED RC
Premium Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
  2. Mojave
  3. Outcast 8s
So this might sound crazy but I'm thinking about trying to make a ramp out of a sheet clear PETG Plastic. My thought was that it would be really cool to be able to stand on the landing-side of the ramp and still see the truck through the clear plastic on approach. Based on my research PETG is pretty durable. I was thinking of also using clear plastic square or rectangle rods as horizontal crossbracing under the ramp surface so it won't block the view and still provide support to the ramp surface. Initially, I was thinking about making the entire frame out of clear plastic but I'm thinking an adjustable metal frame might be better. Has anyone else ever thought of, or tried this? One potential issue would be the slipperiness of the surface, and traction might be an issue limiting the potential for bursting the throttle at takeoff.

Anything else I'm not thinking of here?

So this might sound crazy but I'm thinking about trying to make a ramp out of a sheet clear PETG Plastic. My thought was that it would be really cool to be able to stand on the landing-side of the ramp and still see the truck through the clear plastic on approach. Based on my research PETG is pretty durable. I was thinking of also using clear plastic square or rectangle rods as horizontal crossbracing under the ramp surface so it won't block the view and still provide support to the ramp surface. Initially, I was thinking about making the entire frame out of clear plastic but I'm thinking an adjustable metal frame might be better. Has anyone else ever thought of, or tried this? One potential issue would be the slipperiness of the surface, and traction might be an issue limiting the potential for bursting the throttle at takeoff.

Anything else I'm not thinking of here?
For traction get clear traction tape

Creative . (y)
Usually I am not on full TH when at the jump. I depend on full speed well ahead of the jump. So I already have the speed and momentum at the ramp. But everyone is different. I feel It affords me more available Throttle or Brake rotation and correction once I'm air borne.:cool:

I've just finished my final prototype ramp using clear plastic. I'll post some pics later. The ramp is modular and can be broken down to a very small footprint for travel. It is 36" wide by 24" deep and a fairly shallow angle. I've been working on it for about a month and this is the 4th version.

I've just finished my final prototype ramp using clear plastic. I'll post some pics later. The ramp is modular and can be broken down to a very small footprint for travel. It is 36" wide by 24" deep and a fairly shallow angle. I've been working on it for about a month and this is the 4th version.
NICE! I would love to see what you created! Also, any lessons learned(you're on v4 for a reason :)), the type of plastic used, etc would be great! Thanks

I debated on clear sheeting or expanded metal when building my ramps but ended up going with stainless steel expanded metal in the end.
The upside is that I can see and track the car either direction so that there’s no blind spots but down side is that if you drop a wheel off the side it will cheese grate and gouge the plastic arms from time to time.
FCABA0E5-9274-45E6-A37F-6C1E59D5DB24.jpeg

How large of a ramp are you building that you can’t see over it? And are you sure you want to stand inline with the ramp? How will you see where you land? I’ve found standing beside the ramp is best. No need for a see thru ramp then.

I debated on clear sheeting or expanded metal when building my ramps but ended up going with stainless steel expanded metal in the end.
The upside is that I can see and track the car either direction so that there’s no blind spots but down side is that if you drop a wheel off the side it will cheese grate and gouge the plastic arms from time to time.
View attachment 92093
You can finish the edges with smooth strips of something to protect the Rig. Nice ramp and adjustable angle.. For that big air for sure.

View attachment 92093
Dang! thats one legit ramp right there!
View attachment 92098

View attachment 92097
Lightweight, transportable, and works well for SC driving style. Not meant to launch truck 30 feet in the air.
All parts can be disassembled and the panels fold together to make a single 12x24.
nicely done! PVC pipes as the frame, interesting.. that's a good idea, thanks for sharing! what kind of material is the clear plastic?

Last edited:
How large of a ramp are you building that you can’t see over it? And are you sure you want to stand inline with the ramp? How will you see where you land? I’ve found standing beside the ramp is best. No need for a see thru ramp then.
It depends on the spot. It's not always feasible for me to stand off to the side of the ramp. One example is when I'm doing some jumping in front of my house, I will often run the car down the sidewalk and then launch landing into my front yard. My makeshift ramp is not that wide so I find standing up form it lets me line up better. I just thought it would be cool to be able to see through it, that way I could jump it over my head for example. This applies mostly to my 1/10 scale, I don't want to get hit by the Mojave :) I guess in theory I could stand across the street, so I could be off to the side, but I would prob miss the ramp :) . As for height, since its makeshift, its varying heights depending on what I use to prop up the plywood. highest prob 3+ft when I used my rolling trashcan :). Because it's not curved there is no kick and it needs to be higher to get more air. To that point when I build a ramp it will have some curve to it and be much shorter, so seeing through it would be less important. I just thought it would be cool. :cool: Thanks for the question

I imagine you might need steaks in the ground to keep the ramp from sliding back, or a rock?
I like the idea. Over time the ramp will get scuffed making it less clear, but that should be an easy fix.

If your ramp is too narrow, build a wider one... ??‍♂️?✌?
Yes, I've been considering my options. My cardboard ramp has been fun, but it's getting trashed. I think I recently came up with an adjustable design that is within my skills and tools (no welding). A wooden/metal hybrid based on this guy's ramp. Very simple and elegant design.

Driving skills will determine a ramps angle and width. We all drive different. Portability with a light weight design may matter also. I know I would hate to haul a heavy ramp 200 ft to a bash area from my car. But for a home backyard, it doesn't matter. I would keep the width at 2 feet wide at the very least. 3 foot is good. But again becomes heavy to haul around. I feel smooth surface is best. Less wear on the arms and chassis. I don't feel ramp traction is most important if at all. Speed and momentum well ahead of the ramp should get you the air you want.:cool:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back