Notorious clicking sounds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blakeaowen15

Reaction score
I just got a notorious 3 days ago and it’s already making clicking sounds. When I brake it clicks multiple times until I come to a stop. When I accelerate it makes a single click. I’ve checked the rear diff already it wasn’t that. In my video on the acceleration you have to listen for a click as it’s not too loud but loud enough for me to notice when I accelerate. Anyone know what my two problems could be? I’ll link videos to each problem.
Braking clicks
Single acceleration click

Inspect the front a rear/crown ring gears for rounded teeth. That’s what makes that noise

Last edited:
Inspect the front a rear/crown ring gears for rounded teeth. That’s what makes that noise
Would that be the reason it’s making both brake clicking and acceleration clicking sounds?
Check the front and rear diff crown rings you said.

Last edited:
The small pinion gear inside the diff is jumping the rounded tooth (or teeth) in both directions and that’s the click you’re hearing

It’s extremely rare that it’s the center but it’s also the easiest to see and inspect for damage. If you’ve thoroughly inspected the rear diff I’d say it’s the front. It happens to both front and rear gears though and is a common breakpoint

It’s extremely rare that it’s the center but it’s also the easiest to see and inspect for damage. If you’ve thoroughly inspected the rear diff I’d say it’s the front. It happens to both front and rear gears though and is a common breakpoint
Ok I appreciate it

Go EXB my friend.... You will never go back... I have literally a bag of stock diffs, prolly wasted $350 before going exb... Since I went EXB I have only busted 2 ring gears. They are like 30 stock diffs to 1 exb literally. Cheap to get whole gearbox off ebay...

I also bust spiders from time to time, center diff and rear diff mainly. The exb center internal spider gears seem to hold much better for some reason. I use exb now in Kraton, Notorious, Senton front/rear/center diffs in all.

My comparison thread exb vs stock
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/exb-diff-vs-stock-diff.34123/

ebay gearbox:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/333676910779?epid=11042587817&hash=item4db0b198bb:g:GM4AAOSwoC1fKwmj&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAAoMi8rf+ERu8vx88U5f/vsuZoHRGnpFVCdU4UWosawIIwJynBAmfCN+RjBGe2Dgd83KKUwRehA2wc8bYdoFDJM5Qv0CcARAexpiOxlRz1mOtMHpaVxnE2i6h3+gGxJVCynXsVCHq86RF4X7u5TbdsdOEUtpfOnCL+d2KbV5OUjiHnDJ/tEae1nX/rAOnCO4LadmHJAHTrVjAXMz7FzfPOFKU=|tkp:Bk9SR7jd7MWzYQ

Ring and pinion should be checked and shimmed out of the box after a break-in first light run.

No reason to go over-engineered EXB diffs IMO, I run 8S on mine with 70mph gearing landing on full power all the time. Proper input/ring mesh/internal mesh and custom s7 hardened drive pins.

30E4AE30-742B-4110-847F-4D3FC22BF720.jpeg

Ring and pinion should be checked and shimmed out of the box after a break-in first light run.

No reason to go over-engineered EXB diffs IMO, I run 8S on mine with 70mph gearing landing on full power all the time. Proper input and ring mesh with internal tightness and custom s7 hardened drive pins
I’m new in the rc world(only had my car for 3 days) I feel like I know quite a bit, but what ring exactly?

No reason to go over-engineered EXB diffs IMO, I run 8S on mine with 70mph gearing landing on full power all the time. Proper input/ring mesh/internal mesh and custom s7 hardened drive pins.

View attachment 268751
What do you mean by should be shimmed out?

There’s some good video on YouTube when you have it apart and understand fit/form/function.

Enjoy, it becomes an art with trial and error based on your experiences!

I strongly disagree lolol... And my bag of broken diffs does as well. 8s in a notorious landing on power hahahah please... And yes my 30 years experience in RC's knows how to shim a diff...

As stated above I can even bust EXB diffs that are shimmed properly lol.

I strongly disagree lolol... And my bag of broken diffs does as well. 8s in a notorious landing on power hahahah please... And yes my 30 years experience in RC's knows how to shim a diff...

As stated above I can even bust EXB diffs that are shimmed properly lol.
didn't come to debate, i'm just an engineer not a politician!

didn't come to debate, i'm just an engineer not a politician!
I only call you out for the OP's benefit of do it right the first time. EXB diffs are hardly over engineered Mr. Engineer lolol 🤣

The cost of a new ring/pinion on a stock diff you might as well buy something that will last for a little more.

To the OP as well, this is what EXB diffs will do for you. An entire summer of this crap without breaking.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back