Notorious Clicking while braking

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I understood what you’re said and I do have several complete diffs from Jenny’s to use when I’m ready. I don’t know how many times I’ve been told something was shot or stripped or no good yet I was still able to recover it and get good use out of it.

Besides, this is how I learn and I would rather learn on and mess up an old differential than a brand new one. But I’ve already said that as well as mentioning that I have new differentials more than once.

The point is you can’t stop these damaged ones from clicking. The only hope for your diff is new gears, otherwise you’re just chasing your tail. A whole diff from JRC is my suggestion. Make sure that one is shimmed well out of the gate and you should be much better off.
Going to have to agree here.
Nope, I’m still on the year+ old ring/input that came with the car. I figured that’s the case but I’d rather learn on these than the brand new ones I have. Once I get it all figured out I will put the new ones in.
If there is wear to the teeth are any kind of bur it wont go away I do suggest learning what proper backlash looks like so you can get you shimming and or gear mesh right but other then that there is not much to learn.

1. Check shims and back lash/gear mesh.
2. If you have a set of calipers check the housing to make sure its not heat warped -note- mostly only a plastic housing problem.
3. Check gear teeth for wear, burs and chips.
4. Pull bearing and make sure they all run smooth with little to no friction.
5. Again with calipers check planetary gear housing.
6. Check planetary gears for wear, burs and chip.
7. Check planetary gear mesh in case of unseen wear.
8. Check drive shaft cups and input pinion shaft for wear.
9. Check drive shaft pins to make sure there not pushing out on side of the cup.

10. Fubar replace pinion and sun gear if problem persist replace planetary gears. Assuming housing are not warped.

Last edited:
Going to have to agree here.

If there is wear to the teeth are any kind of bur it wont go away I do suggest learning what proper backlash looks like so you can get you shimming and or gear mesh right but other then that there is not much to learn.

1. Check shims and back lash/gear mesh.
2. If you have a set of calipers check the housing to make sure its not heat warped -note- mostly only a plastic housing problem.
3. Check gear teeth for wear, burs and chips.
4. Pull bearing and make sure they all run smooth with little to no friction.
5. Again with calipers check planetary gear housing.
6. Check planetary gears for wear, burs and chip.
7. Check planetary gear mesh in case of unseen wear.
8. Check drive shaft cups and input pinion shaft for wear.
9. Check drive shaft pins to make sure there not pushing out on side of the cup.

10. Fubar replace pinion and sun gear if problem persist replace planetary gears. Assuming housing are not warped.
Exactly. It appears you understood.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back