Granite Cogging issue 4x4 Granite BLX?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cuzboss

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Senton 6s
First and foremost, hi everyone I’m new to the forum! I have a brand new granite 4x4 BLX and it is stock with the exception of a 20 tooth pinion. This is my 2nd granite 4x4 BLX (gave my 1st one away) and I noticed they added capacitors to the wires from the esc going to the battery connections (not sure why). Anyway, I run 3S lipos (one is a 65C 5200mah, second is 45c 7000mah) and after a couple weeks I notice that on takeoff it sort of stutters. Almost like a shaking till it gets to speed. Mind you it only happens for a split second and the truck is solid. I called horizon and they are sending a new ESC and they were POSITIVE it was the ESC along with new clutch pads. The cogging was almost non existent when i loosened the slipper hence it burning up. What causes this? It came out of no where and its more annoying then anything. Should I call and have them send a motor too?

When I geared up to 18t I noticed some cogging on my BRCC. I think it's partially related to gearing. Doesn't bother me much and I'm gonna fit an 18t to my Granite soon. If I notice it again, I'll blame it on gearing. Otherwise thats all I can add. ?

When I geared up to 18t I noticed some cogging on my BRCC. I think it's partially related to gearing. Doesn't bother me much and I'm gonna fit an 18t to my Granite soon. If I notice it again, I'll blame it on gearing. Otherwise thats all I can add. ?

I almost immediately put in the 20T pinion when I bought it and had no issues till recently. It just doesn't feel right when it does that. The motor had never been over 180 degrees so I don't think its a motor fault.

I almost immediately put in the 20T pinion when I bought it and had no issues till recently. It just doesn't feel right when it does that. The motor had never been over 180 degrees so I don't think its a motor fault.

Could be the esc? Good that they thought so and sending a new one. I'm interested to see how you make out with a new esc.
Just looked at pinions and may try 17t on the Granite. It's hot where I live and 20t may be too much for this truck in this heat. I have some fans laying around so may try one of those too. Even on 18t the electrics get way hot quick on my brcc. I had a fan fitted but it blew off in a crash and haven't put a new one on yet. I also don't have the stock heatsink anymore because I couldn't get it all to fit right with the new pinion and HR motor mount / plate.
Also, welcome to the Forum! ?

This is a fairly common problem if you approach or achieve over gearing. It's been tested and limits pushed by a few members on here, and the only real resolution is a completely different motor and speed controller, or lower gearing. You can try replacing with oem esc and/or motor, but I'd bet dollars to donuts that the same problem will exist or come to be unless you drop a few teeth on your pinion. I run a hobbystar 3670 on a Max 10 sct, and I still can't effectively run a 20t...
And hey, welcome to the forum!

Well like I said I installed the 20T almost immediately and had no issues and in reverse it doesn't cog at all. Id like to keep the motor and ESC stock because the truck itself is probably my best buy and favorite electric over the course of 18 years in the hobby. I even retired my 6S brushless emaxx because this thing is a tank! Its amazing especially for the price. Unfortunately the motor plate only allows 15T (stock), 20T and i think 26T. Also, before I forget what is the proper slipper setting? I usually go as tight as it can go.

Well like I said I installed the 20T almost immediately and had no issues and in reverse it doesn't cog at all. Id like to keep the motor and ESC stock because the truck itself is probably my best buy and favorite electric over the course of 18 years in the hobby. I even retired my 6S brushless emaxx because this thing is a tank! Its amazing especially for the price. Unfortunately the motor plate only allows 15T (stock), 20T and i think 26T. Also, before I forget what is the proper slipper setting? I usually go as tight as it can go.

Get that Hot Racing motor plate. It helps on keeping the mesh not so dam tight like it comes out of the box. I think it could be considered a first upgrade... maybe $18?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Racing...693032&hash=item1cc2a3fb30:g:l3gAAOSwmwFccJEr

I will order that right now! Gives me the option to have that sweet spot and put the 17T in which might be perfect. Any other upgrades I can do? I looked into the max10 SCT and doesn't look too bad but not sure how it would perform conpared to the BLX100. I just want smooth running and reliability. Thats why I like leaving certain things stock.

I will order that right now! Gives me the option to have that sweet spot and put the 17T in which might be perfect. Any other upgrades I can do? I looked into the max10 SCT and doesn't look too bad but not sure how it would perform conpared to the BLX100. I just want smooth running and reliability. Thats why I like leaving certain things stock.

I'm trying to find and be sure which 17t pinion to buy. If you find something that'll fit, please advise.
If I were to get a new esc, I'd be sure to burn up my stock one first. So far I haven't had any trouble (enough to upgrade) across all trucks. I run stock electrics on all six Arrma trucks.

The Max10 SCT is no better when it comes to performance.

I bought it to pair with the 3670, thinking it would be better than the blx100. I was finishing off a granite mega upgrade. Not the best investment as I believe the blx100 would have been just fine at half the price.

More programability

Can you specify? Things like LVC cutoff?
I have been a nitro guy since 2001 and in the past year i got into brushless and holy cow there is alot to learn!! I still don't know what KV or any of that really means to the T yet. Nitro I know in and out.

Can you specify? Things like LVC cutoff?
I have been a nitro guy since 2001 and in the past year i got into brushless and holy cow there is alot to learn!! I still don't know what KV or any of that really means to the T yet. Nitro I know in and out.

Max10 SCT manual

Kv roughly rpm per volt applied

Just the BLX185 ESC will work without swapping out the stock motor? Id like to keep the stock 3200KV if possible.

I run my granite stock on 3s Lipo with the max10 sct and it doesn’t have nearly enough cogging problems to bother me and it’s fast. I think the stock esc setup is bad because they cheaped out a max 10 so it can’t run on 4s, then say it can be run on 2s with an overgeared motor. It’s the perfect setup to cause a lot of cogging problems.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back