Cogging issue.. Need advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BashingBrian

#ArrmaAddict #RCwhore
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Mojave EXB
  3. Outcast 8s
  4. Outcast EXB
  5. Talion EXB
  6. Typhon 6s
Firstly wasn't sure where to post this so here goes..?

So myself and a friend have nearly identical Kratons, I did all the mods on both cars so I know they are both the same..!!!

Mine... Max 6, 4092, HRB 6000mAh 6s, 20T pinion, Backflip LP's,...

His..... Max 6, 4092, HRB 5000mAh 2x 3s, 20T pinion, Stock Kraton tyres...

Everything else is the same on both cars..!!!

So the problem happened today, my car is cogging really bad on launch and his is totally fine...?

Both cars are setup identically, punch 5, brake 37%, 6s, etc etc....

Does anybody have any ideas what I can try or look at because I'm stumped as what could be wrong with mine...???

Send Help..!!! ?

What do you mean cogging?

Try holding your truck on loose gravel, give it some throttle while holding it loosely with all its weight on the deck... and alter the trucks grip between the front/back and Right/Left. If one of your diffs are slipping and making a rough 'cogging like' sound that should help identify what diff you need to inspect.

I know what cogging is but just saying that it might not be that..

If it is the motor cogging.. its usually either a fubared bearing (or restriction in the drivetrain), the motor bearings or possibly debris inside the motor.

Best to check these things first before replacing the esc/motor.

See..

^^^good advice above^^^ Try your friends, or a different battery.

Try my friends what..?? motor ..?

Forgot to say, when my truck was using a max8 with the exact same setup it worked perfectly and nothing else has been changed ...?
What do you mean cogging?

Try holding your truck on loose gravel, give it some throttle while holding it loosely with all its weight on the deck... and alter the trucks grip between the front/back and Right/Left. If one of your diffs are slipping and making a rough 'cogging like' sound that should help identify what diff you need to inspect.

Nothing wrong with the diffs or drivetrain its just had overhaul ...

So, spoke with my LHS about the Max6 they told me to swap parts over one by one, first I swapped battery still the same..
Luckily I have a spare motor so swapped that in and still the same issue..? it runs but cogs badly on take off..

To add insult to injury my mates is flawless ?, so I think next I'm going to borrow his esc and have another try..!!

I'm guessing that if that solves the problem then it would be my esc..??

Out of curiosity I tried my Infraction with the old Max8 in it to compare take off and cogging, well that has no cogging at all it just fly's of the mark...!!

Thoughts..???

So, spoke with my LHS about the Max6 they told me to swap parts over one by one, first I swapped battery still the same..
Luckily I have a spare motor so swapped that in and still the same issue..? it runs but cogs badly on take off..

To add insult to injury my mates is flawless ?, so I think next I'm going to borrow his esc and have another try..!!

Out of curiosity I tried my Infraction with the old Max8 in it to compare take off and cogging, well that has no cogging at all it just fly's of the mark...!!

Thoughts..???
My experience is that the ESC is to blame most of the time.

Thoughts..???
Wouldn't surprise me if it was the Max6. I had one done on me and I had to go through their warranty. Good luck ?

@bicketybam ... Luckily here in the UK we can't deal direct with Hobbywing we have to go through the distributer..?

I remember all the hassle you had with Hobbywing and your Granite/Bigrock when I first joined the forum...???

One thing I would try would be to desolder the battery connectors and motor connectors then re-tin/resolder them. Also, if your using XT90's, spread the male one out a bit so it gets better contact. Do the same with the motor ends.

Do you have adapters or extensions on the motor to the esc? If not on both of the motors you tried, then it's not likely to be that connection at least. I'd redo the battery connectors.

Also, bend the wires somewhat sharply from the esc to the connectors. I had one of my wires in a truck work harden over time due to overwicking solder into it when putting the end on. 2/3's of the strands broke inside the insulation near the plug. It would power up fine and work fine but chattered at me and acted like the packs were at LVC. Once I found that, I cut both wires closer to the esc beyond the damaged point, resoldered the ends on and it was 100%. You could bend the wire and feel where it would bend way more than the rest of the wire, that's where it was nearly broken in two.

Firstly wasn't sure where to post this so here goes..?

So myself and a friend have nearly identical Kratons, I did all the mods on both cars so I know they are both the same..!!!

Mine... Max 6, 4092, HRB 6000mAh 6s, 20T pinion, Backflip LP's,...

His..... Max 6, 4092, HRB 5000mAh 2x 3s, 20T pinion, Stock Kraton tyres...

Everything else is the same on both cars..!!!

So the problem happened today, my car is cogging really bad on launch and his is totally fine...?

Both cars are setup identically, punch 5, brake 37%, 6s, etc etc....

Does anybody have any ideas what I can try or look at because I'm stumped as what could be wrong with mine...???

Send Help..!!! ?
Had the same issue on my kraton 4s i think your esc is starting to go out unfortunatly but mine went back to normal after drying the snow out
Try with another esc
Mine was cogging until half throttle and was cutting off esc lights were going nuts
Here is the video i made for horrizon hobby it started to work again at the end of the video

Last edited:
Quick update,

@olds97_lss .. Haven't re-soldered anything because I've been soldering for over 30 years so I think I'm good ? XT90's are tight fitting.

I've now tried different batteries, different motor and finally this weekend borrowed another Max6 to put in my rig.

It ran flawlessly so I'm convinced its the esc, going to send it off to the shop and wait for the outcome...?

Hopefully I'll get it back before Xmas..!!

Quick update,

@olds97_lss .. Haven't re-soldered anything because I've been soldering for over 30 years so I think I'm good ? XT90's are tight fitting.

I've now tried different batteries, different motor and finally this weekend borrowed another Max6 to put in my rig.

It ran flawlessly so I'm convinced its the esc, going to send it off to the shop and wait for the outcome...?

Hopefully I'll get it back before Xmas..!!
I mentioned the connectors because if you did have a cold joint, they would heat up and become even worse. I've seen a few people show where their BLX2050kv connectors desoldered themselves. Guessing they weren't that great of a solder joint from factory.

I've been soldering a long time too, but I still screw up on occasion. ;)

So, I sent my esc off to the shop last week for warranty..
Emailed them yesterday to check on progress, only for them to tell me they haven't received it yet..!!! even though I have a signature and proof of delivery... FFS ????

Just my luck, so that's my Kraton out of action for Xmas by the looks of it..?

?????

Just got an email from my LHS, they had "misplaced it" in the xmas backlog...?

They said they will send me a new ESC from stock tomorrow, as that's easier for them rather than sending it off to warranty as it's xmas and all..????

LHS didn't mention if they had tested it or not..??? But we all know it was faulty..

Xmas bashing is back on..!!! (if it ever stops raining..?)

?????

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back