Kraton Cogging? What's Going On Here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I run punch and timing at minimum. I also don't blip the throttle like you would with a nitro or gas car.(You only do that with those engines to stay in the rpm sweet spot).

I havnt had any cogging issues but could just be luck of the draw /silicon lottery winner. I'm also running the K8s electronics in a limitless without issues. that esc is pretty much a max 6 I believe. It comes with a nice little cap pack though.

Oh, and I run xt150's now. also 120c batteries. Lots of variables I guess.

Last edited:
I run punch and timing at minimum. I also don't blip the throttle like you would with a nitro or gas car.(You only do that with those engines to stay in the rpm sweet spot).

I havnt had any cogging issues but could just be luck of the draw /silicon lottery winner. I'm also running the K8s electronics in a limitless without issues. that esc is pretty much a max 6 I believe. It comes with a nice little cap pack though.

Oh, and I run xt150's now. also 120c batteries. Lots of variables I guess.
Can you tell me your electronics setup? ESC/motor/pinion/spur?

Can you tell me your electronics setup? ESC/motor/pinion/spur?
max 5/800kv combo 35/34 gearing. 8200mah 120c...dx6r incase that matters.

With that said, I've backordered a new mamba monster x for speed running. I havnt seen issues with my arrma branded hw esc in my limitless but I have heard of speed running issues with hw esc's cutting out at high amp draw.

Last edited:
I have seen this with a few HobbyWing ESCs. The oddity is that it can be fine with a certain setup and then develop cogging later. Yet other than at start up the ESC performed normally.
Mine was a XMaxx using the Max5 esc with Leopard 5892 motor with fairly aggressive gearing.

I would think n hope that it gets to a point where u have to say , jeeeze y didn't I just leave it alone , I've always been the guy that tears stuff apart right out of the box , but I always try to keep it what it is , course I've got rigs that I no longer no what they were cuz of insanity takeing over , but I like to keep as much original as possible usually

I would think n hope that it gets to a point where u have to say , jeeeze y didn't I just leave it alone , I've always been the guy that tears stuff apart right out of the box , but I always try to keep it what it is , course I've got rigs that I no longer no what they were cuz of insanity takeing over , but I like to keep as much original as possible usually
That's boring. live a little. 75% of the fun in this hobby (for me) comes from building and modding. Pushing limits and figuring out what works is the best.

Don't keep yourself up at night worrying about whether I'm going to leave my truck alone or not. This is what I like to do. I have the money to try different combinations of ESC's and motors. I'm just curious if anyone else has run into this issue with the Dynamite Fuze 800Kv motor. Thank you for your concern.
max 5/800kv combo 35/34 gearing. 8200mah 120c...dx6r incase that matters.

With that said, I've backordered a new mamba monster x for speed running. I havnt seen issues with my arrma branded hw esc in my limitless but I have heard of speed running issues with hw esc's cutting out at high amp draw.

I wonder if it's the Dynamite motor that's the issue.

Don't keep yourself up at night worrying about whether I'm going to leave my truck alone or not. This is what I like to do. I have the money to try different combinations of ESC's and motors. I'm just curious if anyone else has run into this issue with the Dynamite Fuze 800Kv motor. Thank you for your concern.

I wonder if it's the Dynamite motor that's the issue.
I was about to type the motor is probably your issue. Variances in magnets in low kv motors can cause cogging especially when using really large pinions.

And you still have me with cogging on my exb with v4 electronics with 14t i want to shot my foot. 2 esc 2 motors nee diffs new servo nothing fixes it

User error. Those motors could be made to not cog, but then they would cost too much. ;)

User error. Those motors could be made to not cog, but then they would cost too much. ;)
Tell me what you think im doing wron. I tried everything that went across my mind. I had reset the esc when i Was coming back home with 40% charged awanfi lipos because i didnt wanted to cary the car with me and i was almost able to do a standing backflip on concrete and grass like what? I only heard one single cogging sound. But my guess is once i put my more powerful lipos the problem is going to come back(when i have reset the esc i went back to punch 7).

car rook a beating the weak point so far is the steering plate who i think i bended again after a brutal one tire landing on the front after the car dangerously changed direction towards a kid and went full brakes. It was really cold outside lucky me i boiled the arms.

The car itself is reliable i still have a little worry about the diffs because im unable to make a tight mesh like i want i still have input gear play and the stress they are going trought with the cogging. But im getting tired of thinking in what im doing wrong. And me being me when i cannot find a solution to a problem it takes a really long time to get it out of my system and admit defeat. Just like i can search for a wheel nut for an hour.

Tell me what you think im doing wron. I tried everything that went across my mind. I had reset the esc when i Was coming back home with 40% charged awanfi lipos because i didnt wanted to cary the car with me and i was almost able to do a standing backflip on concrete and grass like what? I only heard one single cogging sound. But my guess is once i put my more powerful lipos the problem is going to come back(when i have reset the esc i went back to punch 7).

car rook a beating the weak point so far is the steering plate who i think i bended again after a brutal one tire landing on the front after the car dangerously changed direction towards a kid and went full brakes. It was really cold outside lucky me i boiled the arms.

The car itself is reliable i still have a little worry about the diffs because im unable to make a tight mesh like i want i still have input gear play and the stress they are going trought with the cogging. But im getting tired of thinking in what im doing wrong. And me being me when i cannot find a solution to a problem it takes a really long time to get it out of my system and admit defeat. Just like i can search for a wheel nut for an hour.
That was for the OP. I was just being sarcastic.

I did everything you did, was driving me crazy. Mine would shake the whole car and stutter real bad on launch. Like it wouldn't speed up just crawl and stutter/shake bad. Finally ordered a New Motor, BINGO! No more issues. Just thought I would share.

I also noticed before this all happened, the grub screw had come loose and the Pinon had been moving and grinding against the slide. Don't know if that maybe caused the motor to go partly bad. Because if I ease in to the throttle, and then gun it, it speeds up with zero issue. Yes I tested old motor with new ESC and didn't fix problem.

I know this is a old post but thought I would share how I fixed what seemed like the exact same problem but mine was worse on the cogging.

I did everything you did, was driving me crazy. Mine would shake the whole car and stutter real bad on launch. Like it wouldn't speed up just crawl and stutter/shake bad. Finally ordered a New Motor, BINGO! No more issues. Just thought I would share.

I also noticed before this all happened, the grub screw had come loose and the Pinon had been moving and grinding against the slide. Don't know if that maybe caused the motor to go partly bad. Because if I ease in to the throttle, and then gun it, it speeds up with zero issue. Yes I tested old motor with new ESC and didn't fix problem.

I know this is a old post but thought I would share how I fixed what seemed like the exact same problem but mine was worse on the cogging.

I didnt want to go buy a 200$ motor. My plant was to to get the exb roller and buy take off electronics from jennys. Switched from the blx motor to the spektrum one same thing. My blx motor i think broke somehow after a 90 degree rear landing. But since i made the cap pack the stutter went away sometiems i can feel it but its like smoothed out. Not like before when i had loud knocks
The two halves of the rotor seperated somehow
198EE288-B855-402F-84C1-762F49E446A6.jpeg
153E942C-71EB-4EF7-A637-E158BEF19ABB.jpeg
AF0737E7-682A-426D-B8DC-071507B6696C.jpeg
DFCA587F-7C63-42B4-8447-AB121755B1AF.jpeg

9B5DDCD0-935F-4E91-9795-FE815DBB1D13.jpeg

I have weird cogging issue after installing a Spektrum RX / TX into my X-Maxx. I am currently using a DX3 controller and a SR6110AT receiver. When AVC dial is turned all the way up I can really notice the cogging. However when I turn the AVC dial all the way down the cogging goes away. Currently using a max5 with HW5687. When I had the Traxxas RX/TX it never did this. Anybody else running a max5 with AVC or would it be best to just disable it?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back