Kraton Cogging? What's Going On Here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bicketybam

Back from vacation!
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Infraction
  4. Kraton 8S
  5. Kraton 6s
  6. Kraton 4s
  7. Mojave
  8. Notorious
  9. Talion
  10. Typhon 6s
Ok, guys. Let me know your thoughts. I'm looking for the seasoned vets to give me their opinion. I thinks it's cogging. It almost feels like when of your motor leads is almost out. But it really only happens in high amp draw situations. If I ease into the throttle it will actually drive slowly and smoothly. But when I mash it, like to pull a wheelie, it stutters and shakes before the power just explodes. If I put my foot in front of the truck to keep it from moving forward while mashing the throttle, it will offer up very little push and stutter badly. It's exactly like the issue I had when I geared up my BRCC while using the Max10 SCT esc.

I don't have another motor or ESC to try. I will be picking up the new Castle ESC and sensored motor combo. When I get it I may try the Castle ESC and this motor to see if it still does it. If not, then this is a Max5 issue. If it still does, I'd say it's a motor issue. I can also swap on the Castle motor with the Max5 and see what happens.

Here is the video. I am 99.9% positive that this is an electronics issue and not damaged diffs, etc.

Ed, believe it or not I'm having the same issues. I have to set my ESC timing to high when its a fresh pack, have to set it to very high when its about mid pack. Weird. I'm sure you have but did you play with the timing settings?

Ed, believe it or not I'm having the same issues. I have to set my ESC timing to high when its a fresh pack, have to set it to very high when its about mid pack. Weird. I'm sure you have but did you play with the timing settings?
Can you adjust timing on a Max5?

There is no item on the HW PC for timing so no. NM, my bad. I haven't played around with the max 5 enough to know that issue. .
Ok thanks. So you're saying your exhibits the exact same behavior? If so then the issue is on the ESC side? I'll be the first to admit that I'm a novice when it comes to the electronics side of these trucks. Is the motor calling for too many amps and the Max5 is going into some sort of protection mode?

When I had the issue with the Max10 SCT, I left everything the same and swapped in a Castle Mamba X. The cogging all but disappeared. I even sent the Max10 SCT back to HW for testing and they said it tested fine. So I just chalked it up to the Max10 SCT not being as capable as the Castle. I continued to run the Castle until this happened ?

20200221_152619.jpg

That's what I don't get about my current setup. I had that same 2028 in my 5t & it cogged to hell & back even with the stock pinion/housing that you're supposed to reuse. Yet it won't even cog with the 53t uncontrollable monster in the K8S. Not to mention that the thing barely hits 90F. That's being way too fickle. It even had weird gogging issues in my X-Maxx that used the same pinion for a while. But it is using a new max5. Maybe the motor loves the thing. Plus it can drain the super cheap Youme 4s packs in 10 minutes with the 45t pinion. Yet the batteries are still doing great. I thought they would have puffed a long time ago since they are discharging way over 100C at that rate & are only rated for 60C.

For experimentation purposes I’d drop the punch down to 1 and see if it goes away. That way you can theoretically isolate the issue to the ESC & initial amperage draw
Someone didn't watch until the very end ? It does go away with punch 1 and it will run up to punch 3 on a 40t without issue.

Ok thanks. So you're saying your exhibits the exact same behavior? If so then the issue is on the ESC side? I'll be the first to admit that I'm a novice when it comes to the electronics side of these trucks. Is the motor calling for too many amps and the Max5 is going into some sort of protection mode?

When I had the issue with the Max10 SCT, I left everything the same and swapped in a Castle Mamba X. The cogging all but disappeared. I even sent the Max10 SCT back to HW for testing and they said it tested fine. So I just chalked it up to the Max10 SCT not being as capable as the Castle. I continued to run the Castle until this happened ?

Is It cogging at all phases of voltage on the packs? When the motor/ESC gets warm/hot/cold? Mine seems to get better as it warms up. Maybe its got something to do with these 800KV mills. They might need something extra I/we don't know about yet. Maybe Castle figured it out and is why they are coming out with it sensored. Maybe they need to be under more load, 44T pinion is not cutting it. Time for the 53-56P ??‍♂️

I was having serious sputtering issues with a Max5 and a HW4274 2200kv motor running 6s in an Infraction yesterday. I know that one is overkill the for the scale and motor but the setup shouldn't have any issues either. I've just put myself on a back order list for the next batch of MMX 8S along with picking up HW4985 1650kv motor, though figured I would poke around the Forum and see if I could find a fix to the issue while waiting for the new one. :unsure:

Edit: Punch is set at 3

It's just like putting a race cam in a small block Chevy motor , soon u will have other issues , if u decide to hop up the 8s to the moon , the costs will take u there also , it's all part of this insanity of a hobby that I love !! Best of luck with your upgrades folks I'm just putting in a 20 pinion gear and calling it good , we got a great track we built and this rig will be a blast !!! Or ,,, Bash ?? !!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back