Kraton Compare and contrast.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dunno but what I do know is I have both and have used both on a ramp + at the bmx spot and I like catching air with the Talion a lot more. If I had to pick one it would be the Talion hands down. I still like my kraton though just not as much as the Talion. Talion also flips over less when I land a jump in comparison to the Kraton.
Since you have one, does your kraton 6s run hot? Do you need to add on to it or treat it specially to not overheat?

Since you have one, does your kraton 6s run hot? Do you need to add on to it or treat it specially to not overheat?
Mine doesn't run hot but I have a max 6 combo with 2x 40mm fans iirc.

Correcting something I said earlier. I was thinking the longer shocks on the Kraton meant it would also have more wheel travel. But I saw the two side by side when watching a video, and it looks like the travel could probably be about the same because of how the shocks are angled more sharply on the Talion. So the shock itself might not travel as much on the Talion, but that doesn't mean the wheel won't. The Talion probably has to have heavier oil weight in the shocks and stiffer springs compared to the Kraton. ARRMA probably did all of that to give the Talion it's lower body profile.

kraton_vs_talion.PNG

Correcting something I said earlier. I was thinking the longer shocks on the Kraton meant it would also have more wheel travel. But I saw the two side by side when watching a video, and it looks like the travel could probably be about the same because of how the shocks are angled more sharply on the Talion. So the shock itself might not travel as much on the Talion, but that doesn't mean the wheel won't. The Talion probably has to have heavier oil weight in the shocks and stiffer springs compared to the Kraton. ARRMA probably did all of that to give the Talion it's lower body profile.

View attachment 227843
So what are the real differences between the two? there's got to be a reason kraton is so much more well known. I didn’t know ANYTHING about arrma except they made kraton.

So what are the real differences between the two? there's got to be a reason kraton is so much more well known. I didn’t know ANYTHING about arrma except they made kraton.
Out of the box the tires and lower center of gravity make a big difference. Air control alone, the talion sucks at air control with stock tires for example. The Kraton will wheelie a lot easier too.

Out of the box the tires and lower center of gravity make a big difference. Air control alone, the talion sucks at air control with stock tires for example. The Kraton will wheelie a lot easier too.
My issue is I'm not sure whether to go for a kraton (or Talion) that is bigger and 6s or slash ultimate that has a ton of upgrades already done but is 4s. Both can reach 50 out of box according to some people's speed testing. And between kraton and Talion, it's been said kraton is better on dirt and grass and fields and dune bashing, where as Talion is better at speed to the track. Thoughts?
if you put the expensive game changer fans on that could work
What about stock? Out of box. What would it be comfortable with?

My issue is I'm not sure whether to go for a kraton (or Talion) that is bigger and 6s or slash ultimate that has a ton of upgrades already done but is 4s. Both can reach 50 out of box according to some people's speed testing. And between kraton and Talion, it's been said kraton is better on dirt and grass and fields and dune bashing, where as Talion is better at speed to the track. Thoughts?

Personally, I think the Talion can pretty much do everything the Kraton can do. Especially if you toss on some backflip lp tires. A lot of people recommend that tire for bashing on both the Talion and Kraton and if both trucks have the same tires, they're very similar.

maybe 40 mph on and off throttle depends what the weathers like really and check temps

If you compare a Kraton and Talion the Talion has the center diff virtually centered on the chassis where the Kraton it is moved forward. They are the same length chassis but the Kraton has wider hubs vs the Talion. The Talion is designed to drive more like a beefed up and heavy racing truggy where the Kraton is not. The Talion def handles speed better but even with the same tires and stock shock settings the Kraton is easier to land big jumps and stay in control.

If you compare a Kraton and Talion the Talion has the center diff virtually centered on the chassis where the Kraton it is moved forward. They are the same length chassis but the Kraton has wider hubs vs the Talion. The Talion is designed to drive more like a beefed up and heavy racing truggy where the Kraton is not. The Talion def handles speed better but even with the same tires and stock shock settings the Kraton is easier to land big jumps and stay in control.
That last part is interesting. I can't help but to think the opposite is true. It also seems like the Talion flies through the air better too. Maybe my Kraton just hates me but jumping with the Talion definitely seems easier to me. :cry::ROFLMAO:

That last part is interesting. I can't help but to think the opposite is true. It also seems like the Talion flies through the air better too. Maybe my Kraton just hates me but jumping with the Talion definitely seems easier to me. :cry::ROFLMAO:

I guess it depends upon your expectations but we outfitted the Kraton and Talion with backflips and then backflip lp’s and then went to katars on both. I haven’t driven the Kraton in a while so it was a good exercise for both my kiddo and I. 6s bf’s work well on the Kraton and neither of us liked them on the Talion, it would nearly do standing backflips and this isn’t something we were wanting or expecting. Bf lp’s little less air control on the Kraton and landings seemed a little harder than on the 6s’s. The Talion on BF lp’s seems to have gone up on performance, easier to control on the grass and air control now seems pretty close to the Kraton on 6s bf’s. Big air doing double back flips chassis slaps pretty hard, similarly to the Kraton on the lp’s but the truck bounced upon impact a couple times where the Kraton would soak them up. Lastly we played with the Katars, the Kraton seemed to have found some lost power with the narrow and light katars but it feels a bit sluggish turning, it sorta hesitates to turn compared to the Talion. We checked toe and camber and matched them between the 2 trucks. Didn’t help the Kraton, I attribute this to the increased width from the wider hubs. The difference is pretty small but the Talion is quicker turning and holds a tighter line (same servo in each truck too). At this point we were tired of the comparisons and I realized why I had parked the Kraton. I consider the Kraton a “Jack of all trades and an Ace of none” it is a great all around truck that is good at basher style racing, good at jumps and great for ripping around wide open spaces but other rc’s that have better defined targets seem to be better at their targeted high points. The Kraton is a great gateway vehicle it gets you into the 6s platform and it does everything it’s supposed to out of the box.

There’s differences in the shock towers and length and width of each model, tires, etc…. that cause different performance qualities or issues for a given drive style.

The traxxas slash is a toy even if it is upgraded. Total rip off. I bought one and couldn’t believe how bad it sucked when compared to an Arrma. Fragile as hell too.
Arrma is the only way to go 🤩😆!

The traxxas slash is a toy even if it is upgraded. Total rip off. I bought one and couldn’t believe how bad it sucked when compared to an Arrma. Fragile as hell too.
Arrma is the only way to go 🤩😆!
Can't desipher whether fair assessment or Arrma Loyalist...🤔

I almost stopped reading after your first sentence (best allrounder) and thought, Kraton badaboom badabang done deal. Then you mentioned the terrain and here come the Talion, Mojave and Fireteam (not the most popular of the bunch).
Take you pick😎
+1
The 6s Kraton RTR seems to just be the best choice for YOU, your first Arrma.
The Talion is a RTR EXB, may be stronger..... Just I feel the Kraton, EXB or RTR is the best all Around Rig of the 6s bunch, IMHO.
Your call.
Can't desipher whether fair assessment or Arrma Loyalist...🤔
I think it is just a fact Jack. Arrma rules for hard bashing.
No hating, Just the facts.;)
All RC's will break. The 6S line Arrmas are probably the most cost efficient overall to own and Run. You will be upgrading some of the parts as you go . Fans/cooling are always key, no matter the brand. One example. Get yourself a cheap Temp gun. A must have tool for when out bashing.
Also, Arrma has a 2 year warranty. Trxasss does NOT (only 30 day warranty).
HH will replace your electrics for Free...for 2 years with a reciept. This alone beats any Trxxass product, hands down.
HH backs their rigs well.
This is big. What you pay for.

Last edited:
I guess it depends upon your expectations but we outfitted the Kraton and Talion with backflips and then backflip lp’s and then went to katars on both. I haven’t driven the Kraton in a while so it was a good exercise for both my kiddo and I. 6s bf’s work well on the Kraton and neither of us liked them on the Talion, it would nearly do standing backflips and this isn’t something we were wanting or expecting. Bf lp’s little less air control on the Kraton and landings seemed a little harder than on the 6s’s. The Talion on BF lp’s seems to have gone up on performance, easier to control on the grass and air control now seems pretty close to the Kraton on 6s bf’s. Big air doing double back flips chassis slaps pretty hard, similarly to the Kraton on the lp’s but the truck bounced upon impact a couple times where the Kraton would soak them up. Lastly we played with the Katars, the Kraton seemed to have found some lost power with the narrow and light katars but it feels a bit sluggish turning, it sorta hesitates to turn compared to the Talion. We checked toe and camber and matched them between the 2 trucks. Didn’t help the Kraton, I attribute this to the increased width from the wider hubs. The difference is pretty small but the Talion is quicker turning and holds a tighter line (same servo in each truck too). At this point we were tired of the comparisons and I realized why I had parked the Kraton. I consider the Kraton a “Jack of all trades and an Ace of none” it is a great all around truck that is good at basher style racing, good at jumps and great for ripping around wide open spaces but other rc’s that have better defined targets seem to be better at their targeted high points. The Kraton is a great gateway vehicle it gets you into the 6s platform and it does everything it’s supposed to out of the box.
I'm conflicted. Here's where I am. I'm going to be driving around, turning, doing donuts etc on gravel /dirt roads. Driving on dirt/long high grass fields, dirt fields, most of the time. Eventually propably sand dunes at some point. Obviously, especially with the sand dunes I'd like it to be durable for jumping, but I don't think I'll be going Kevin Talbot on it or anything anytime soon. @Alan @Moirae any of you guys have thoughts on all that?

I'm conflicted. Here's where I am. I'm going to be driving around, turning, doing donuts etc on gravel /dirt roads. Driving on dirt/long high grass fields, dirt fields, most of the time. Eventually propably sand dunes at some point. Obviously, especially with the sand dunes I'd like it to be durable for jumping, but I don't think I'll be going Kevin Talbot on it or anything anytime soon. @Alan @Moirae any of you guys have thoughts on all that?
Yeah based on your criteria. tall grass etc, Kraton.
Second choice would be a Notorious. (RTR)
Basically same rig parts wise, just shorter chassis by approx 2 inches. Drives somewhat different, making it more of a Stunt/Freestyle truck.(of course different body) Noto Body is made of thicker Lexan, FWIW. Kraton body is rather thin.
I think there is a sale going on with the Notorious right now. A steal if you hurry and find some left at this price. $479. I think.....

+1
The 6s Kraton RTR seems to just be the best choice for YOU, your first Arrma.
The Talion is a RTR EXB, may be stronger..... Just I feel the Kraton, EXB or RTR is the best all Around Rig of the 6s bunch, IMHO.
Your call.

I think it is just a fact Jack. Arrma rules for hard bashing.
No hating, Just the facts.;)
All RC's will break. The 6S line Arrmas are probably the most cost efficient overall to own and Run. You will be upgrading some of the parts as you go . Fans/cooling are always key, no matter the brand. One example. Get yourself a cheap Temp gun. A must have tool for when out bashing.
Also, Arrma has a 2 year warranty. Trxasss does NOT (only 30 day warranty).
HH will replace your electrics for Free...for 2 years with a reciept. This alone beats any Trxxass product, hands down.
HH backs their rigs well.
This is big. What you pay for.
So you suggest a kraton rtr over Talion exb, because although the Talion exb may be tough, it's more of a jack of all trades, which is good for a first arrma? I'm just asking for your opinion. It is also 150 less. The kraton I'm guessing has more aftermarket upgrades because it is more popular too am I close?

ANY upgrades on the kraton 6s that you guys think are NEEDED right out of the box? Fans are brought up a lot.
Specific superior battery/charger choices.
maybe 40 mph on and off throttle depends what the weathers like really and check temps
What would it take for it to be able to comfortably take 50?

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back