Kraton Composite Front Steering Blocks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cordell12

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Nero
I've got a V1 Kraton that has been upgraded to that of a V2/3 in all areas but one, the Composite Front Steering Blocks (rear blocks as well). As you may have read in the "What have you done" thread, last sunday I hit a chain link fence. At first I thought there was no damage, but upon closer inspection I busted a bearing (avid), bent a CVD drive Shaft, and cracked the Front Steering Block. I went online to Arrma Exploded views and used the wrong Kraton and ordered up part# AR330403 when I really needed AR330187. I figured OK cool, it should bolt right up, and it does. But...when using the newer AR330403 Steering block, the 17mm Wheel Hex is now to long. I have part# AR310592 and to use the new Steering Blocks I would need part# AR310484. How much am I really missing out on by sticking to the V1 version, besides part availability down the road? At the end of the day the wheels still have the same wheelbase. The only thing I can see is the new Steering Blocks are more beefy, and may have withstood that slam into the chain link fence.

If I were to change them out I wouldn't have to do the rear, but not doing so would bother me. I am sort of OCD about this kind of stuff. My daughter pointed out to me that I seem to enjoy tinkering with the Kraton more than I do driving it. There may be some truth to that LOL.

I've got a V1 Kraton that has been upgraded to that of a V2/3 in all areas but one, the Composite Front Steering Blocks (rear blocks as well). As you may have read in the "What have you done" thread, last sunday I hit a chain link fence. At first I thought there was no damage, but upon closer inspection I busted a bearing (avid), bent a CVD drive Shaft, and cracked the Front Steering Block. I went online to Arrma Exploded views and used the wrong Kraton and ordered up part# AR330403 when I really needed AR330187. I figured OK cool, it should bolt right up, and it does. But...when using the newer AR330403 Steering block, the 17mm Wheel Hex is now to long. I have part# AR310592 and to use the new Steering Blocks I would need part# AR310484. How much am I really missing out on by sticking to the V1 version, besides part availability down the road? At the end of the day the wheels still have the same wheelbase. The only thing I can see is the new Steering Blocks are more beefy, and may have withstood that slam into the chain link fence.

If I were to change them out I wouldn't have to do the rear, but not doing so would bother me. I am sort of OCD about this kind of stuff. My daughter pointed out to me that I seem to enjoy tinkering with the Kraton more than I do driving it. There may be some truth to that LOL.

I agree, it's also fun upgrading & tinkering with them, but definitely not as fun as driving with 6S and landing good jumps LOL. Since you had to replace the cracked steering block and bent front CVD axle, why didn't you upgrade to the new V3 steering blocks (AR33505) & CVD axles (AR310590), as I gather these will work on the V1 Kraton? Since the V3 steering blocks are beefier and stronger, they should stand up to bigger impacts and also handle the weight of bigger tires. The V3 rear hubs would also be a good upgrade, but not necessary to do both now. The bigger upgrade would be the V3 steering blocks, as the front always seems to take more abuse, and would make sense to do this now while replacing the parts anyways.

I agree, it's also fun upgrading & tinkering with them, but definitely not as fun as driving with 6S and landing good jumps LOL. Since you had to replace the cracked steering block and bent front CVD axle, why didn't you upgrade to the new V3 steering blocks (AR33505) & CVD axles (AR310590), as I gather these will work on the V1 Kraton? Since the V3 steering blocks are beefier and stronger, they should stand up to bigger impacts and also handle the weight of bigger tires. The V3 rear hubs would also be a good upgrade, but not necessary to do both now. The bigger upgrade would be the V3 steering blocks, as the front always seems to take more abuse, and would make sense to do this now while replacing the parts anyways.

I will be upgrading them, I have to order the rear blocks, and the smaller length 17mm Wheel Hex. The rear can be done later, but the 17mm Hex are a must with the newer blocks. Since the blocks are bigger, they stick out further and require the shorter Hexes. This was on my mind all day and I come home and read your response, that sealed the deal.

Yes, I forgot about that. I had heard the V1 hubs did have problems with the large inner wheel bearing wearing out very quickly and sometimes failing, causing even more problems. As you said, another good reason to upgrade to both the new V3 rear hubs & steering blocks, especially when you have to replace some of the parts anyways.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back