Confused on Tires: Drift vs. Slicks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parcou

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Felony
  3. Fireteam
  4. Granite
  5. Infraction
  6. Kraton EXB
  7. Talion EXB
  8. Typhon TLR
  9. Vorteks
Can you help me to understand a specific RC tires a little bit please....

The application would be on a 1/10 on-road RC with speeds 25-30mph. I have an extra set of rims and my plan is to add tires do a little drifting action.

1. LHS has some hard plastic drift tires 12mm hex 26mm tires
2. LHS has some slicks that are rubber being slicks no tread 12mm hex 26mm tires

I take these on-road cars to a large parking garage that is a smooth concrete floor. I do have an option for newer asphalt that is still smooth but I have not gone to that lot as of yet to run them.

I have seen one guy with the same car as mine with the hard plastic drift tires get no traction on the concrete floor....look like the car was on ice so was no drift action it was no control...

So my confusion and wanting knowledge is:

1. Where do I use the hard plastic drift tires what is the right surface for drifting with the car described above?
2. Where do I use rubber slicks?
a. Would the slicks do better on concrete or new asphalt compared to my friend that could not get control?
b. Will slicks keep a friction-less performance for drift or begin to hook-up at some point to prevent drifting?

The goal is to drift.....not sure of tire chemistry of surface and fun I am looking for

There's a genre of rc called called drift cars, they use plastic wheels and you run the car on a indoor and very smooth surface (not asphalt or concrete). the cars are driving at probably 2-3 mph. Search you tube and you'll understand what are this type of cars.

You're saying 25-35 mph, and outside, so it's definitely no drift cars, you want the rubber tires. the question is how hard is the rubber, the softer the compound the more traction you get, so it would be more difficult to drift, and also it will wear faster.

in short, try the rubber tires, and decide if you need harder rubber next time or not. But you definitely don't want the plastic ones.

Can you help me to understand a specific RC tires a little bit please....

The application would be on a 1/10 on-road RC with speeds 25-30mph. I have an extra set of rims and my plan is to add tires do a little drifting action.

1. LHS has some hard plastic drift tires 12mm hex 26mm tires
2. LHS has some slicks that are rubber being slicks no tread 12mm hex 26mm tires

I take these on-road cars to a large parking garage that is a smooth concrete floor. I do have an option for newer asphalt that is still smooth but I have not gone to that lot as of yet to run them.

I have seen one guy with the same car as mine with the hard plastic drift tires get no traction on the concrete floor....look like the car was on ice so was no drift action it was no control...

So my confusion and wanting knowledge is:

1. Where do I use the hard plastic drift tires what is the right surface for drifting with the car described above?
2. Where do I use rubber slicks?
a. Would the slicks do better on concrete or new asphalt compared to my friend that could not get control?
b. Will slicks keep a friction-less performance for drift or begin to hook-up at some point to prevent drifting?

The goal is to drift.....not sure of tire chemistry of surface and fun I am looking for
The hard plastic wheels would be for indoor carpet. Might get away with using them on screed flooring too. Use them on any other surface and I'll imagine they'll get ruined fast!

The slicks would be good for dry asphalt and concrete. If these surfaces are wet or dusty, you'll get your hoon on ?️ if you wanted to drift with these anyway, wrap them with electrical tape

I have only one onroad car, when I want to drift in a smooth concrete parking garage I tape the tires, works great.

I have only one onroad car, when I want to drift in a smooth concrete parking garage I tape the tires, works great.

Been thinking on this one also saves me cost of extra tires and rims.

What particular tape did you use...

Sounds simple to do any tips like how many times to tape around or if one past overlap tape a bit

Did you do all or just rear tires

Been thinking on this one also saves me cost of extra tires and rims.

What particular tape did you use...

Sounds simple to do any tips like how many times to tape around or if one past overlap tape a bit

Did you do all or just rear tires
I use black electrical tape and give it two maby three wraps, I do all four tires for a complete slide. Never tried wrapping just the rears but may try it next time out.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back