Granite Connector confusion/advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RubberRolling

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Vorteks
Hello everyone,

I am looking for some advice on what to do in regards to connectors. I currently have a Vorteks which I bought used, it seems the previous owner put on an XT60 plug so I bought an XT60 charger and the hobby shop guy soldered the appropriate connector on my 3s LIPO. Recently the connector melted a bit so needs to be replaced. I should be receiving a new Granite tomorrow or sometime this week, my question is should I convert the Vorteks to EC5 or should I convert the Granite to something else and an entirely new type of connector for both trucks? There are so many different connectors and I don't really know what I should do. I intend to buy 3 more 3s batteries as I want to run both trucks with my son. My understanding is you can run adapters for the charger so that part shouldn't be an issue?

Thanks in advance

Start with adapters, XT60 to EC5 or whatever. $6 or $7 bucks on Amazon will buy several. I have batteries with Deans, IC5, XT60, and Traxxas connectors, and I have adapters to go between all of them.

Then, as time goes by, start converting your ESCs and batteries over to the same connector. If you're mostly interested in ARRMA stuff, then EC5 is a good choice because the ARRMA models will always come with the compatible IC5 connectors (except the cheap brushed ones that use IC3), you just need to convert your batteries. They are a f***ing pain to solder up correctly though. Maybe others are easier.

Don't worry about the charger, you can leave an adapter plugged into it all the time, and the current during charging is low enough that it won't overheat the adapter.

Start with adapters, XT60 to EC5 or whatever. $6 or $7 bucks on Amazon will buy several. I have batteries with Deans, IC5, XT60, and Traxxas connectors, and I have adapters to go between all of them.

Then, as time goes by, start converting your ESCs and batteries over to the same connector. If you're mostly interested in ARRMA stuff, then EC5 is a good choice because the ARRMA models will always come with the compatible IC5 connectors (except the cheap brushed ones that use IC3), you just need to convert your batteries. They are a f***ing pain to solder up correctly though. Maybe others are easier.

Don't worry about the charger, you can leave an adapter plugged into it all the time, and the current during charging is low enough that it won't overheat the adapter.
Great advice thanks, I had read in some other threads that it is not a good idea to run adapters on the ESC but if its alright that seems like the easiest solution. I was thinking about ordering some CNHL batteries since ppl seem to like those and they come with EC5 already. My current battery is a Gens

Hello everyone,

I am looking for some advice on what to do in regards to connectors. I currently have a Vorteks which I bought used, it seems the previous owner put on an XT60 plug so I bought an XT60 charger and the hobby shop guy soldered the appropriate connector on my 3s LIPO. Recently the connector melted a bit so needs to be replaced. I should be receiving a new Granite tomorrow or sometime this week, my question is should I convert the Vorteks to EC5 or should I convert the Granite to something else and an entirely new type of connector for both trucks? There are so many different connectors and I don't really know what I should do. I intend to buy 3 more 3s batteries as I want to run both trucks with my son. My understanding is you can run adapters for the charger so that part shouldn't be an issue?

Thanks in advance
Do not run adaptors. I’ve had them melt before and it’s a well know no no. XT60 connectors are a bit light, xt90 would be better. I have all ec5 because that’s what all my first cars came ic5, which are cross comparable, and it stuck. So pick an adequate one to handle the power and run with it. If you can’t solder get you local HS to do. Or even better, learn. It’s a good skill to have.
Charging with adapters is fine being low draw and all.

Yes, the adapters introduce the potential for current loss and failure between the battery and ESC. I wouldn't use them forever, but as a short term solution they're OK. Technically XT60 adapters are only good for 60 amps continuous power, and the Granite ESC can do 100A. But will you do 100A for more than a few seconds at a time? Unlikely.

For your charger, the adapters are harmless. Those connectors are rated for well over any charge current you're ever likely to use.
Do not run adaptors. I’ve had them melt before and it’s a well know no no. XT60 connectors are a bit light, xt90 would be better. I have all ec5 because that’s what all my first cars came ic5, which are cross comparable, and it stuck. So pick an adequate one to handle the power and run with it. If you can’t solder get you local HS to do. Or even better, learn. It’s a good skill to have.
Charging with adapters is fine being low draw and all.
You're not wrong. Although I think adapters are fine for just fartin' around, it would be much safer to solder on a new EC5.

But will you do 100A for more than a few seconds at a time?
I’ve had them melt. Others have had issues as well. Rarely do drivers run their cars a few seconds at a time and many like to go full throttle. It’s a well know bad idea. Keep doing it for yourself but no need to spread bad habits 🙄

I’ve had very good results with EC5/IC5 connections.
The fancy boys use those QS8 thingys….for their fancy rigs.….but for the smaller scale stuff I think you’re good with the EC5.

cheers,
kev

I really like the XT90 Connector and wish Arrma had gone with that connector. EC5 is a good connector too but harder to solder.

With the exception of a few Traxxas connectors and a few old Deans, I have pretty much made EC5 my standard since most all Arrma's come with them stock.

There are a lot of cheap variants and they are not created equal. I have had some no name brands work well and other completely fail.

I like to try and stick with "Amass" brand and assuming its not a knock off they seem to work well.

I’ve had very good results with EC5/IC5 connections.
The fancy boys use those QS8 thingys….for their fancy rigs.….but for the smaller scale stuff I think you’re good with the EC5.

cheers,
kev
Thanks for the input!
I really like the XT90 Connector and wish Arrma had gone with that connector. EC5 is a good connector too but harder to solder.

With the exception of a few Traxxas connectors and a few old Deans, I have pretty much made EC5 my standard since most all Arrma's come with them stock.

There are a lot of cheap variants and they are not created equal. I have had some no name brands work well and other completely fail.

I like to try and stick with "Amass" brand and assuming its not a knock off they seem to work well.
Thanks for that...I will have the hobby shop guys convert my battery and Vorteks back over to EC5 and keep the new Granite as is.

I have read this several times now about how hard they are to solder (ec5) . But for me it isn't the soldering part but learning how to put them together... ie ..getting them to snap into place. Different manufacturers i have found require to put the plastic housing over the wires then solder the attaching the bullet to the wire, while others you solder the bullets then push into the connector. I destroyed several housings trying to get them ti snap in to position. Once I figured out which was what, it has been super easy for me.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back