Typhon Considering a Typhon 6s v5

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ferrebee88

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Outcast EXB
To all you Typhon owners out there...
I am considering getting a new Typhon 6s. I have had many trucks, but never an 1/8 buggy (Traxxas slash, Xmaxx, Tekno sct410.3, Tekno mt410, Tekno et48.3, Arrma Kraton EXB, Arrma Mojave ExB, Losi DBXLE, ) and the list goes on. I am assuming it would be like taking a short course truck, adding some weight, and reducing drag by having a buggy body??? It looks pretty quick and durable when watching videos showcasing it.

Driving venues: I will mostly be driving on grass, dirt/pebble, maybe some quick runs on asphalt, and a little bit of casual driving on my local indoor clay track (I would pick up some clay tires for this). I just want to try something different, so I want to gather experiences before making my choice.

Power: I will run the stock electronics, minus using my DX5C remote. Most likely running a single 4s battery but will try 6s just for the heck of it.

My current lineup: Losi DBXLE 2.0, Arrma Mojave EXB, Traxxas Xmaxx, and Axial scx24

Thoughts????

If on track you would probably be better off with a Typhon 3s. Just more agile and lighter than the 6s. We race on pavement. The 6s has no chance against the 3s as the 6s keeps sliding out of corners that the 3s can take.

Typhon 6s V5 driven on 4s is about the same speed as the Typhon 3s. I have both but the Typhon 3s is first choice. Plus you can put the MX28 tires on right away without having to upgrade to Kraton hubs, axles etc. as the Typhon 6s requires.

I would go with the 3s. If you really like the buggy thing you can sell and go 6s.

If your track has jumps - the 6s does not jump well on 4s. Just not enough power to correct in during the jump - IF you go for medium or longer jumps. Nose down into the ground. Short slow jumps are possible on the 6s with a 4s lipo. The 3s Typhon jumps nicely.

If on track you would probably be better off with a Typhon 3s. Just more agile and lighter than the 6s. We race on pavement. The 6s has no chance against the 3s as the 6s keeps sliding out of corners that the 3s can take.

Typhon 6s V5 driven on 4s is about the same speed as the Typhon 3s. I have both but the Typhon 3s is first choice. Plus you can put the MX28 tires on right away without having to upgrade to Kraton hubs, axles etc. as the Typhon 6s requires.

I would go with the 3s. If you really like the buggy thing you can sell and go 6s.

If your track has jumps - the 6s does not jump well on 4s. Just not enough power to correct in during the jump - IF you go for medium or longer jumps. Nose down into the ground. Short slow jumps are possible on the 6s with a 4s lipo. The 3s Typhon jumps nicely.
That is some great info. I assumed the extra weight of the 6s typhon would help. I had a Tekno sct410.3 that would blaze around the track, but that setup was was not so good offroad outside(with mx38s). Would I be correct to assume the typhon 3s would be great at the track but so much on rougher bumpy terrain offroad and the 6s typhon would be great at rougher bumpy offroad terrain but not so much at the track?
In other words... the difference between lightweight/nimble and heavier/stability?

It sometimes seems to me like the extra weight of the 6s will not transfer to a better handling in corners. In rough terrrain both are pretty useless as the ground clearance is minimal. But both are fun on gravel.

The shocks of the 6s are too soft for rough terrain so you chassis is on the ground all the time when it's just a bit bumpy. If you are on gravel and go for top speed with a stock setup the 6s on 6s performs top. Straight line and corrections are easy. Wide open flat gravel places are ideal for the 6s.

On a little bit bumpy terrain the 6s on 6s is way to much power and the smallest pinion is only 14t which is about 12% slower than the stock 16t. Still too fast. In bumpy terrain the 6s Typhon on 4s does not bring enough torque do to nice jumps like on a construction site. Ideal for a slightly bumpy terrain would be a 10t pinion on 6s. I feel the 6s is not a good choice for bumpy terrain. To much power on 6s, to little torque to correct jumps on 4s.

On bumpy terrain the MX28 are fun but then the 6s is at double the cost of the 3s as you need the Kraton upgrades for the 6s. By the way 6s on MX28, stock drive train does not work. The MX28 truggy tires will blow and the drivetrain will too. Typhon 6s on 4s with MX28 - very nice jumping, also far. Backflips are fun then. Nice correctability in the air.

The feel of the 6s has more of a quality feel when you drive. The sliding out of corners can be irritating.

If you compare the Typhon 6s to the 8s DBXLE 2 - OK weird comparison but I see you have the DBXLE - the DXBLE 2.0 actually transfers it's weight to the wheels in a solid and predictable way. The 6s Typhon is just not as predictable in corners. Hard to judge when it will break / slide and when not. When the 3s slides it does not slide far. Actually drifts a bit in a nice way.

The 3s steering out of the box feels all wobbly. But it's not a problem as the toe angle solves that problem. The 6s is the nicer piece of engineering than the 3s - think that is on reason why many have it.

Last edited:
It sometimes seems to me like the extra weight of the 6s will not transfer to a better handling in corners. In rough terrrain both are pretty useless as the ground clearance is minimal. But both are fun on gravel.

The shocks of the 6s are too soft for rough terrain so you chassis is on the ground all the time when it's just a bit bumpy. If you are on gravel and go for top speed with a stock setup the 6s on 6s performs top. Straight line and corrections are easy. Wide open flat gravel places are ideal for the 6s.

On a little bit bumpy terrain the 6s on 6s is way to much power and the smallest pinion is only 14t which is about 12% slower than the stock 16t. Still too fast. In bumpy terrain the 6s Typhon on 4s does not bring enough torque do to nice jumps like on a construction site. Ideal for a slightly bumpy terrain would be a 10t pinion on 6s. I feel the 6s is not a good choice for bumpy terrain. To much power on 6s, to little torque to correct jumps on 4s.

On bumpy terrain the MX28 are fun but then the 6s is at double the cost of the 3s as you need the Kraton upgrades for the 6s. By the way 6s on MX28, stock drive train does not work. The MX28 truggy tires will blow and the drivetrain will too. Typhon 6s on 4s with MX28 - very nice jumping, also far. Backflips are fun then. Nice correctability in the air.

The feel of the 6s has more of a quality feel when you drive. The sliding out of corners can be irritating.

If you compare the Typhon 6s to the 8s DBXLE 2 - OK weird comparison but I see you have the DBXLE - the DXBLE 2.0 actually transfers it's weight to the wheels in a solid and predictable way. The 6s Typhon is just not as predictable in corners. Hard to judge when it will break / slide and when not. When the 3s slides it does not slide far. Actually drifts a bit in a nice way.

The 3s steering out of the box feels all wobbly. But it's not a problem as the toe angle solves that problem. The 6s is the nicer piece of engineering than the 3s - think that is on reason why many have it.
Yeah, I see what you mean with the DBXLE comparison. I absolutely love that buggy (the way it handles is awesome), but there are only a couple spots where I can run it. That is what got me thinking about a 1/8 scale buggy. I had a 1/10 Tekno EB410.2, but was underwhelmed with it, so I sold it. When I say rough terrain, I mean gravel, dirt, some ruts in between, and switching from low cut grass to gravel and jumping a bit. I don't really care about cost, so maybe I will look into some of the other models like a Talion. I had the Kraton EXB and replaced it with an Xmaxx, so I have my hard basher. I am looking more to have fun with something that is fast and handles well. I enjoy the Mojave, but I can't keep it on its tires. It has its place, but that max6/1650kv combo makes that thing ballistic.

I had a 3S before I got the 6. I went through more rear differentials than you can possibly imagine. The 6S is a tank and you can hang with some high-end buggies

To all you Typhon owners out there...
I am considering getting a new Typhon 6s. I have had many trucks, but never an 1/8 buggy (Traxxas slash, Xmaxx, Tekno sct410.3, Tekno mt410, Tekno et48.3, Arrma Kraton EXB, Arrma Mojave ExB, Losi DBXLE, ) and the list goes on. I am assuming it would be like taking a short course truck, adding some weight, and reducing drag by having a buggy body??? It looks pretty quick and durable when watching videos showcasing it.

Driving venues: I will mostly be driving on grass, dirt/pebble, maybe some quick runs on asphalt, and a little bit of casual driving on my local indoor clay track (I would pick up some clay tires for this). I just want to try something different, so I want to gather experiences before making my choice.

Power: I will run the stock electronics, minus using my DX5C remote. Most likely running a single 4s battery but will try 6s just for the heck of it.

My current lineup: Losi DBXLE 2.0, Arrma Mojave EXB, Traxxas Xmaxx, and Axial scx24

Thoughts????
I am new to this hobby and did the due dilligence. Decided on Typhon v5 6s I run on mostly same terrain except no indoor clay track (lucky you). I run at a nearby RC airport lots of grass and a nice asphalt runway. When you run on 6S you just watch this beast lower it's butt and haul butt. So fast getting to end of runway way to quick need to move over to the airport next door for longer runway. Tough to imagine something beating this on grass or gravel. I am so impressed and extremely happy I bought this beast. Now if I can only tame it. You will have a ton of fun if you like speed and grass rooster tails.

I put different shock springs on the Typhon 6s V5.

ARA 330640 (70mm) and ARA 33507 ( 85mm rear).

Both are about twice as strong as the original springs.
Made a big difference in handling. Better for jumping and rough terrain. Definitely better on grass than before.

And yes the rear differential on the 3s is an issue. The 3s has a yoke for the differential. The input gear does rub against the side of the differencial if the first bearing on the 13T input gear is not perfectly and totally pressed down on the input gear.
The Typhon 6s has a different design and the same thing can not happen.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back