Considering getting a 2nd rig - suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJUK

Reaction score
Hi folks, I wasn't really sure which part of the forum to post this in, so I hope it's OK here...?

Basically, at the beginning of the year I bought a Senton BLX 3S and went about replacing all the bearings with sealed ones, upgrading the bumpers, servo, and radio and I'm still having fun with it now.

However, the big kid in me wants something bigger and I'd liked the look of the Mojave from the outset - plus I really like the look of the new EXB version. I had also considered getting a Kraton or Talion, and of course there's also an EXB Kraton now, although not for the Talion yet for some reason...

My question is, which rig should I look at, or is there something else from another manufacturer that is better? I saw a thread about the Losi 8ight that people were enjoying, even as a basher.

What I'm looking for is something for light bashing and general messing about with in the local park - mostly on grass. I want it to have as many upgrades on it as standard so I don't have to mess about with it all again, which is why the EXB models appeal to me - with the sealed bearings and upgraded parts. But I don't know if something like the 8ight might be better, especially as it seems to be well built, maybe a bit like an EXB Talion?

As I understand it though, the 8ight comes as a kit and needs building? also, I'm not that keen on how it looks compared to the Arrma vehicles.

The main reason I'm asking for advice though, is just that I have no idea what's out there or how Arrma fairs compared to other manufacturers? Like, is a Kraton the best jump/basher type truck, or does Traxxas, Losi, etc make something better?

Any and all suggestions welcome - I just don't have enough RC knowledge in general to know what's out there and what's considered good/bad.

Oh, and if there's an option that's lower maintenance, that would be ideal, because with two very young kids I don't get much time to sit fiddling about with things.

Cheers!

RJUK

The Losi 8ight-E is an RTR, but the TLR 8ight XTE is a kit.

My understanding is that the TLR eight XTE is a much more high-end RC car than any Arrma and will cost much more money. Since you don't seem interested in wrenching too much, you're probably better off with an RTR or a roller.

From what you describe, a Kraton or Talion would be nice. The Kraton should be the best all-arounder and the Talion would be the best performer in terms of handling on the right terrain, but may not be as good as the Kraton for rough terrain. I don't own a Talion, so others may have something to say about that.

From what you describe, an EXB Talion may be the best option for you. I wouldn't be surprised if they released a Talion EXB in the next few months. We'll see I guess

One thing to consider: The 6S line does require a bit more wrenching time than the 3S line, especially at the beginning when you are setting it up. There are more adjustments (sway bars, droop screws, pillow ball, center diff, etc.). It's not too bad, but it does require a bit more wrenching time. If that makes any sense, I'd say however that working on a 6S is more "quality wrenching time", as it is nicer to work on metal parts and not having to deal with stuff like the power module of the 3S line.

I would suggest just browsing YouTube videos of different models to get an idea of how they drive, terrain they do well on etc. I love my Kraton 6s does great jumping awesome handling in any terrain and definitely the step up your looking for from the 3s line. I also started with 3s line but the Granite BLX and it is an absolute beast of a rig, I also am more of a basher/stunts kind of driver opposed to speed runs or just light bashing. Again browse videos and get an idea of what stands out. With what your looking for I would suggest the Talion as it's more of a speed light bashing rig over the K6s or Outcast/Notorious which are more for jumping/stunts but this is just my input.

Hi folks, I wasn't really sure which part of the forum to post this in, so I hope it's OK here...?

Basically, at the beginning of the year I bought a Senton BLX 3S and went about replacing all the bearings with sealed ones, upgrading the bumpers, servo, and radio and I'm still having fun with it now.

However, the big kid in me wants something bigger and I'd liked the look of the Mojave from the outset - plus I really like the look of the new EXB version. I had also considered getting a Kraton or Talion, and of course there's also an EXB Kraton now, although not for the Talion yet for some reason...

My question is, which rig should I look at, or is there something else from another manufacturer that is better? I saw a thread about the Losi 8ight that people were enjoying, even as a basher.

What I'm looking for is something for light bashing and general messing about with in the local park - mostly on grass. I want it to have as many upgrades on it as standard so I don't have to mess about with it all again, which is why the EXB models appeal to me - with the sealed bearings and upgraded parts. But I don't know if something like the 8ight might be better, especially as it seems to be well built, maybe a bit like an EXB Talion?

As I understand it though, the 8ight comes as a kit and needs building? also, I'm not that keen on how it looks compared to the Arrma vehicles.

The main reason I'm asking for advice though, is just that I have no idea what's out there or how Arrma fairs compared to other manufacturers? Like, is a Kraton the best jump/basher type truck, or does Traxxas, Losi, etc make something better?

Any and all suggestions welcome - I just don't have enough RC knowledge in general to know what's out there and what's considered good/bad.

Oh, and if there's an option that's lower maintenance, that would be ideal, because with two very young kids I don't get much time to sit fiddling about with things.

Cheers!

RJUK
For the money, the 6S TALION is the best RTR I have bought, I put it through complete hell and run the donkey snot out of it. The LOSI LASERNUT U4 RTR is flimsy and although I enjoy it. It was made to break from stock. Lots of fasteners in it are coming loose. The OUTCAST 8s was snapped in 2 on the second Run. I suggest the TALION BLX 6S or the TYPHOON 6s and the KRONOS models. I am tired of getting RTR vehicles and the craftsmanship from Horizon Hobby and the willingness to sell RTRs that break out the box for the money is ridiculous.

Yeah, I think you're getting where I'm coming from. I enjoy a bit of wrenching, but don't want to have to pull the whole car apart every few runs, so would like something tough that I only have to service occasionally. I remember the days of my childhood just throwing a battery in my Tyco RC (or whatever new RC car I had for Xmas each year) and driving it. Zero maintenance ever!

I doubt I'll ever be sending any RC to the moon or bashing at the local skate park, as I don't want to be throwing tons of money at replacing broken parts (some of the videos I se on YT have me cringing...) but I have been considering getting a little skate/bmx ramp to do some smaller jumps.

At the moment I mostly just run the Senton around the local park on the field, which is short grass. Perfect for an SCT or the Talion, but probably a bit boring for a Kraton...?

I do really like the Mojave EXB and that fits the bill nicely and I've seen people saying it's probably the toughest Arrma? It's very tempting - the only thing I dislike about the SCTs is that they catch so much junk in the chassis. Even with a dusty motors cover mine always seems to be full of grass and leaves at the end of a run.
For the money, the 6S TALION is the best RTR I have bought, I put it through complete hell and run the donkey snot out of it. The LOSI LASERNUT U4 RTR is flimsy and although I enjoy it. It was made to break from stock. Lots of fasteners in it are coming loose. The OUTCAST 8s was snapped in 2 on the second Run. I suggest the TALION BLX 6S or the TYPHOON 6s and the KRONOS models. I am tired of getting RTR vehicles and the craftsmanship from Horizon Hobby and the willingness to sell RTRs that break out the box for the money is ridiculous.
Shame they don't have a new Talion out yet. All the new models seem to have sealed bearings, so that's a money/time saver straight away, but I'd appreciate an EXB version. Does the Talion wheelie much? I put Granite tyres on my Senton which makes it wheelie more, but TBH I just find it annoying - I'd rather something that can keep the front end down so I don't have to come off the throttle to steer the darn thing.

That's why I'm not totally sold on the Kraton and wouldn't go for an Outcast.

Yeah, I think you're getting where I'm coming from. I enjoy a bit of wrenching, but don't want to have to pull the whole car apart every few runs, so would like something tough that I only have to service occasionally. I remember the days of my childhood just throwing a battery in my Tyco RC (or whatever new RC car I had for Xmas each year) and driving it. Zero maintenance ever!

I doubt I'll ever be sending any RC to the moon or bashing at the local skate park, as I don't want to be throwing tons of money at replacing broken parts (some of the videos I se on YT have me cringing...) but I have been considering getting a little skate/bmx ramp to do some smaller jumps.

It's always better to completely go over an RTR if you want to avoid breakages from assembly issues. For example, I just bought a Granite V3 and it had a seized slipper clutch bearing. I avoided more important damages by checking it out early

My upgraded and well adjusted Kraton is extremely reliable. For what you describe, an EXB would be very good for you. You will still need to go over it at first to make sure everything is fine, and check a few things out from time to time (droop screws adjustment, pillow ball retainers, etc.), but that really doesn't take a long time.

Cheers!

RJUK
Yes, you and I are definitley on the same page.
Life span of LOSI LASERNUT, HARD RUNNING AND ON PAVMENT. 1HR AND THE PLASTIC PIECES STARTED BREAKING.
OUTCAST 8S, BROKE AFTER TWO RUNS. SHEARED THE FRONT END OFF AND IT WAS HANGING FROM THE SERVO LINK.
TALION 6S with 4S battery goes for ever and the only issue was the ball joint popped out on front left tire after hitting a tree. Pulled apart and reinstalled and no problems sense.
The dust covers that are sold are junk. I don't like any of them. So i invested in canvas and put little filters on them. Stays clean but i am still tweaking the dust cover. It adds weight but it works.
The carbon fiber, the plastic, the aluminum, and the steel used on upgrades is well worth the price. The down side to all of this....
More money spent. I want a RTR NOT A READY TO REPAIR VEHICLE.

Yes the Talion wheelies like any other 6s rig, that can be fixed by running 4s or adjusting your punch level down to minimum.
Except the Mojave, I guess? I can't imagine that wheelies a great deal? I fiddled with my punch on the Senton and turning it down made the whole thing feel slower and slower to respond to my initial trigger squeeze... I just didn't like it.

It's always better to completely go over an RTR if you want to avoid breakages from assembly issues. For example, I just bought a Granite V3 and it had a seized slipper clutch bearing. I avoided more important damages by checking it out early

My upgraded and well adjusted Kraton is extremely reliable. For what you describe, an EXB would be very good for you. You will still need to go over it at first to make sure everything is fine, and check a few things out from time to time (droop screws adjustment, pillow ball retainers, etc.), but that really doesn't take a long time.
That should be fine, and obviously any EXB is going to need some wrench time, because (as far as I'm aware) they're all just rollers anyway, so require electronics at least. That'll likely be my next question once I'm decided on a model, as even my Senton seems to cut out from heat each time I go out. (Possibly from the dusty motors cover, although I do leave it slightly unzipped at the back to let the hot air out.) It would be good to have a setup that's very powerful, but also can be run hard without overheating. I look at all the motor/ESC combo sets and it's all Dutch to me. I have no idea what any of it means.

Also people are already asking for Xmas gift ideas for me, so if I buy an EXB roller then they can get me things like servo, radio, motor/ESC etc, even if I have to pay towards it. Saves getting socks!

At the moment I mostly just run the Senton around the local park on the field, which is short grass. Perfect for an SCT or the Talion, but probably a bit boring for a Kraton...?

I do really like the Mojave EXB and that fits the bill nicely and I've seen people saying it's probably the toughest Arrma? It's very tempting - the only thing I dislike about the SCTs is that they catch so much junk in the chassis. Even with a dusty motors cover mine always seems to be full of grass and leaves at the end of a run.

Shame they don't have a new Talion out yet. All the new models seem to have sealed bearings, so that's a money/time saver straight away, but I'd appreciate an EXB version. Does the Talion wheelie much? I put Granite tyres on my Senton which makes it wheelie more, but TBH I just find it annoying - I'd rather something that can keep the front end down so I don't have to come off the throttle to steer the darn thing.

That's why I'm not totally sold on the Kraton and wouldn't go for an Outcast.
I have learned so far that for my Talion you have to adjust the shocks and the steering turned all the way up makes it go nuts. The steering turned down makes it control much better. I was backfliping it yesterday up walls, and it was landing on its wheels. The stock tires that come with it, are off road in my opinion, or gravel. I bought some Proline tires that are great for racing. The need for a 6s is only if you are in a big open area. This car will fly with 100% on a 4S bettery Graphene, 100, 8000MAH. I miss my old grasshopper it was the best.

Life span of LOSI LASERNUT, HARD RUNNING AND ON PAVMENT. 1HR AND THE PLASTIC PIECES STARTED BREAKING.
OUTCAST 8S, BROKE AFTER TWO RUNS. SHEARED THE FRONT END OFF AND IT WAS HANGING FROM THE SERVO LINK.
TALION 6S with 4S battery goes for ever and the only issue was the ball joint popped out on front left tire after hitting a tree. Pulled apart and reinstalled and no problems sense.
The dust covers that are sold are junk. I don't like any of them. So i invested in canvas and put little filters on them. Stays clean but i am still tweaking the dust cover. It adds weight but it works.
The carbon fiber, the plastic, the aluminum, and the steel used on upgrades is well worth the price. The down side to all of this....
Sadly I have not bought a single RTR that didn't need some work before I could run it. Things like gear mesh not set properly, pinion and spur not aligned, bodies holes installed in the wrong place so the body say crooked, camber/steering links installed backwards, missing screws, stripped screws, screws caked in red thread lock, shocks over/under filled or empty, diffs underfilled or empty the list goes on and on........

For bashing in grass at the park it’s hard to beat the Kraton. Talion with bigger wheels maybe but than you’re adding 60$ to the cost and weight to a talion is defeating the purpose of what it is. Losi s are great but will break too. I guess they are higher end. The few I’ve owned have been enjoyable but I would call them super tough. The losi 8 is getting popular now because of some recent YouTube super star videos. It looks nice but watch the same guys videos and all his cars look pretty darn good.

To me I don’t know if the exb is worth the extra trouble for your 2nd rig. Go back and look at the triumphs and failures of the last month or so on this forum. If there’s not enough drama in your life than maybe get an exb. If you want to just charge up a couple batteries and have fun at the park get the rtr and fix it as needed which may not be much if it’s sensibly driven...

What's the dramas with the EXBs? Just people breaking stuff from jumping them, or other issues?

What's the dramas with the EXBs? Just people breaking stuff from jumping them, or other issues?
The open rear diff without additional shims will not hold up in the Kraton EXB.

Like I said go back and look. Mostly differential failures with the new design. Many seem to have problems and a few don’t. The stronger chassis, towers, suspension mounts, arms all look good though. If you want to fiddle with diffs, research shims, and research electrics etc then go for it. I just thought for a second rig one of the 6s rtrs would be plenty to deal with.

I am going to respectfully consider that you may be the problem on the Outcast 8S lol. The fact that you broke your Outcast so violently tells me that you are unfamiliar with large scale rigs and how to control them in the air. My Typhon 3S has held up better than your Outcast 8S and I have sent that thing off of 20+ foot jumps. My Kraton 8S has been just as solid on even bigger jumps... seriously... show me some one else who has broken an O8S like you have lol

On another note, my Talion has already earned my trust... crashed at 40+ mph (easily) and had minimal damage... THAT is a tough rig. Wing broke rather easily though on a flip.

My measly $300 Typhon 3S has been a brute, hands down my toughest rig. All of my Arrma RTRs have been READY TO RUN, no regrets on the money I've spent.

Last edited:
I am going to respectfully consider that you may be the problem on the Outcast 8S lol. The fact that you broke your Outcast so violently tells me that you are unfamiliar with large scale rigs and how to control them in the air. My Typhon 3S has held up better than your Outcast 8S and I have sent that thing off of 20+ foot jumps. My Kraton 8S has been just as solid on even bigger jumps... seriously... show me some one else who has broken an O8S like you have lol

On another note, my Talion has already earned my trust... crashed at 40+ mph (easily) and had minimal damage... THAT is a tough rig. Wing broke rather easily though on a flip.

My measly $300 Typhon 3S has been a brute, hands down my toughest rig. All of my Arrma RTRs have been READY TO RUN, no regrets on the money I've spent.

The rear end is looking a transformer everyday. For you to say, Im unfamiliar is an understatement. I looked that whole truck over with a fine tooth comb. Look at the pictures of where its broke at. Then, imagine the parts there. Ok??? Now? How did i break it.
The chassis comes from the factory pre bent with a bend line on it for alignment. The lower brace on the front shattered on impact into the tree. Which caused this crappy plastic to shatter and caused the front end to rip off. And as it was pushing back and over on the turn, it sheared off. But it comes from the manufacture with that weak point. I knew that when i was buying it.
I know the power of these vehicles very well, just tired of paying all this money. Shouldnt have to go through a full checkup to get a descent product. I used to pull weight with the lunchbox frucks back in the 90s and we had alot of fun. Unfortunatley, these week points don't like dry pavement. I ramped this truck about 30 plus times and it did great out at the park. This truck and tires just don't like asphalt. Went to the sand, bashed the heck out of it. The truck doesn't like asphalt. Thinks for the lols that made my day.

20201104_190007.gif

20201021_201236.jpg

20201021_201111.jpg

20201021_201106.jpg

20201021_201123.jpg

The rear end is looking a transformer everyday. For you to say, Im unfamiliar is an understatement. I looked that whole truck over with a fine tooth comb. Look at the pictures of where its broke at. Then, imagine the parts there. Ok??? Now? How did i break it.
The chassis comes from the factory pre bent with a bend line on it for alignment. The lower brace on the front shattered on impact into the tree. Which caused this crappy plastic to shatter and caused the front end to rip off. And as it was pushing back and over on the turn, it sheared off. But it comes from the manufacture with that weak point. I knew that when i was buying it.
I know the power of these vehicles very well, just tired of paying all this money. Shouldnt have to go through a full checkup to get a descent product. I used to pull weight with the lunchbox frucks back in the 90s and we had alot of fun. Unfortunatley, these week points don't like dry pavement. I ramped this truck about 30 plus times and it did great out at the park. This truck and tires just don't like asphalt. Went to the sand, bashed the heck out of it. The truck doesn't like asphalt. Thinks for the lols that made my day.
When I read the part where you drove it into a tree.......oh well....

The drama was that the Kraton EXB had a quality control issue with the build being the first release post COVID with a new differential design. They fixed it with a spacer that prevents the issue and the new EXBs have this resolved. They waited to release the Mojave EXB until they had the differential issue resolved which has been done. The Mojave EXB comes with the upgraded diffs and are a nice improvement over the previous versions. Great truck, very tough and no concerns. If you want to avoid drama and keep it basically stock just order the electronics that come with the RTR version or choose from a reasonable setup from this forum that will fit the stock motor mounts and such.

Most people having problems have put much larger motors that stock and geared higher as well.

I’d advise you to take RATT’s advice with a fistful of salt. You don’t rip an Outcast 8S in half without a major crash with serious forces.

Personally I really enjoy my Notorious 6S. If you like the look of the Mojave EXB I think it is an excellent rig.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back