Typhon Constantly Stripping Spur Gears

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raddavey

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 3s
So I've had my 3s Typhoon for roughly 4 weeks, and so far I've been through 3 sets of pinion/spur gears. I would estimate each lasted around 5-6 battery packs.

I've drilled out the motor mount holes as I thought the first time was from not enough clearance between the gears.

I am running it in dusty conditions and maybe some dust is making its way into the gearbox but there hasn't been an obvious amount in there. Just fine particles of plastic teeth. Why they left the hole in the bottom is beyond me.

The next step is to go the expensive metal gear route. It is just a shame that everything else on this buggy has been flawless.

Any ideas?

Sand, grit stuck in teeth?
or bent motor mount? check the red alu part is straight.

Seal the bottom of the module would be #1..

But there must be something else going on, I absolutely thrash my typhon and have not had a gear failure at all... and I've had it for quite some time now..

Slipper to tight? If it is and your landing jumps on throttle it will kill them pretty quick...

Can you post pics of the teeth on the pinions that have died? Are they like razor blades? A picture could help us determine if its wear or failure..

Try slotting the bottom of your chassis to release pebbles and dirt. It's going to get in there no matter what you might as well give it a out point (y)

RC chassis.jpg

So I've had my 3s Typhoon for roughly 4 weeks, and so far I've been through 3 sets of pinion/spur gears. I would estimate each lasted around 5-6 battery packs.

I've drilled out the motor mount holes as I thought the first time was from not enough clearance between the gears.

I am running it in dusty conditions and maybe some dust is making its way into the gearbox but there hasn't been an obvious amount in there. Just fine particles of plastic teeth. Why they left the hole in the bottom is beyond me.

The next step is to go the expensive metal gear route. It is just a shame that everything else on this buggy has been flawless.

Any ideas?
Have you tried the steel spur from the 4S rigs? It’s optional for all the 3S rigs. I never saw the point in plastic spur gears myself.

Good chances the dust made more damage than you thought, in my cars it ruined the front motor bearing, disintegrate it which caused play on the motor shaft, making the pinion move and that's when the spurs started stripping.

As said above, you can try both sealing the hole (that's what i did with perfect results) or opening a hole on the chassis, but check the motor bearing first.

When all is ok a plastic spur will last for months and months.

Every month i'm still surprised Arrma hadn't issue an update part (prob both chassis and gearing box) that address this issue...

Thanks for all the quick responses. I have had another look. Bearings in the motor seem Fine, though when I spin the motor by hand every now and then i can feel some grinding going on. Maybe the spur is just getting eaten by dirt which has also found its way into the motor. I can see how a small amount of dirt can get wedged between the spur and the chassis and just grind away. Im leaning towards opening it up to allow any dirt to fall out.

I can't seem To add photos using my phone. I'll add some later

though when I spin the motor by hand every now and then i can feel some grinding going on.
That little grinding doubles the heat of the motor, and will result in a faulty bearing if not treated. Open the motor, get to the bearing and clear or replace them so they’ll spin free.

Sealing the hearing box will eliminate this issue.

So I cut out a slot under the spur gear. Interestingly it had a heap more power. I was convinced the gear was grinding against dirt on the underside. Though it lasted a bit longer it still stripped out the next gear in about 7 battery runs.

Looks like metal is the only option. Still got me bugged why it just won't last. The mesh seems OK (I've drilled out the holes). Used fresh bearings.

So I purchased the metal gear and it doesn't work with the stock clutch discs. After reading this thread
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/pinion-to-spur-lash.12517/

I also noticed my slipper doesn't have this part View attachment 67134

Is this required? What does it do?

It looks like I need an extra slipper pad for it to work, or purchase the 4 slipper kit. ARA310908
I'm pretty sure I just answered you in another thread. It's for the old style slipper hubs that weren't threaded.

So I got the metal gear installed and all was going well; though I knew the motor didn't have much life left in it as I could hear a squeak when spinning it by hand. Sure enough, about 4 battery packs the buggy came to a halt with a not so nice sound. Taking it apart I found the motor almost seized. Not only is it hard to spin, but the shaft has come out of alignment and the pinion was a decent 2-3mm away from touching the spur.

Maybe after all this, the motor was causing the plastic spurs to go. I couldn't feel any play in the bearing, but potentially under certain load conditions, it was running out of true and stripping the gears.

As anyone had any luck claiming warranty on these? My buggy is only 2 months old.

So I got the metal gear installed and all was going well; though I knew the motor didn't have much life left in it as I could hear a squeak when spinning it by hand. Sure enough, about 4 battery packs the buggy came to a halt with a not so nice sound. Taking it apart I found the motor almost seized. Not only is it hard to spin, but the shaft has come out of alignment and the pinion was a decent 2-3mm away from touching the spur.

Maybe after all this, the motor was causing the plastic spurs to go. I couldn't feel any play in the bearing, but potentially under certain load conditions, it was running out of true and stripping the gears.

As anyone had any luck claiming warranty on these? My buggy is only 2 months old.

ya thats typically the situation.. they should warranty it, just give them a call and make sure you have some sort of proof of purchase...

I am having the same issue with my 1 mo Typhon Mega. It does appear that my motor bearings are bad because the output shaft and pinion will move side to side. I have already rebuilt the plastic spur slipper assembly with new gear, clutch, plate, front and rear bearings, etc. I will now replace the motor, unless there is a bearing rebuild kit for it? I also want to upgrade to the steel spur. Is this a drop in replacement? Thanks.

ARA310948
https://www.towerhobbies.com/product/steel-57t-slipper-set-0.8mod/ARA310948.html

You will want to look into converting the mega to a BLX. I believe there are some other compatibility issues, possibly with the diff. Compare the exploded view diagrams. I'm sure someone will offer some meaningful advice.

I'd consider adding the slipper sleeve too. The BLX slipper hubs tend to crack and splines strip with added power without extra support. An old bearing race works well too.
Screenshot_20220904_095458.jpg

received_579769010293527.jpeg

I am having the same issue with my 1 mo Typhon Mega. It does appear that my motor bearings are bad because the output shaft and pinion will move side to side. I have already rebuilt the plastic spur slipper assembly with new gear, clutch, plate, front and rear bearings, etc. I will now replace the motor, unless there is a bearing rebuild kit for it? I also want to upgrade to the steel spur. Is this a drop in replacement? Thanks.

ARA310948
https://www.towerhobbies.com/product/steel-57t-slipper-set-0.8mod/ARA310948.html
Horizon will very likely honor a warranty replacement for your motor. It's a very common failure. Does the mega come with the Firma 3660 3200kv motor?

These are the bearings you would need:
Jims Bearings

Last edited:
Since this is (also) a place to learn from other peoples rookie mistakes I might as well share my dumb way of going through two spur gears in about ten minutes of runtime: After a spur gear shred I forgot to put in the bearing that goes in the spur gear itself. The red one on the attached photo. I have a Granite 3S.

It did cross my mind that it was hard to get the slipper aligned, but I was a bit too engaged with getting the car going again. And it did actually run fine until I nose-dived it in a jump.

The reason why I broke the first one was a bent motor mount.
It sounds like you found out what was causing yours, but it felt like a good post to share this.

B576E6ED-B4D9-4E57-9D7E-48417C223825.jpeg

You will want to look into converting the mega to a BLX. I believe there are some other compatibility issues, possibly with the diff. Compare the exploded view diagrams. I'm sure someone will offer some meaningful advice.

I'd consider adding the slipper sleeve too. The BLX slipper hubs tend to crack and splines strip with added power without extra support. An old bearing race works well too.
View attachment 241290
View attachment 241289

Horizon will very likely honor a warranty replacement for your motor. It's a very common failure. Does the mega come with the Firma 3660 3200kv motor?

Jims Bearings
I am not sure about the 3660 motor. All this one says is 12 Turn. I didn't see any other info on the Arrma motor that is installed. I will have to go look up the replacement motor from Arrma and see what it says to know for sure. Thank you for the info and the Bearing info. If I can rebuild this one I will but still take Arrma up on a warranty if they will. Spare parts are spare parts :)

View attachment 241290
View attachment 241289

Jims Bearings
No the Mega comes with a 550 sized 12t brushed motor.

I am not sure about the 3660 motor. All this one says is 12 Turn. I didn't see any other info on the Arrma motor that is installed. I will have to go look up the replacement motor from Arrma and see what it says to know for sure. Thank you for the info and the Bearing info. If I can rebuild this one I will but still take Arrma up on a warranty if they will. Spare parts are spare parts :)

Unfortunately there is no rebuilding that can be done to the 12t brushed motor. It's dead time to spend $15 on a new one or upgrade to brushless.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back